Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 102

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Blakr Crouch's stuff is great. He lives in my town and is such a down to earth guy, often stopping by my bookshop to sign his books.

Apparently those two novels are being adapted into movies right now.

2. tvck

Trusted

Those are going to be crazy to see on film. There's some pretty intense scenes in the books.

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

it's probably just me, but I found Faulkner pretty impenetrable even with a guide, even though I do agree that kind of thing generally enhances the experience for me. I'm gonna give him another try sometime but who knows when, it's been a couple of years already

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

he's my favorite author by a mile but i 100% get that.

jordalsh likes this.
  5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

as I lay dying is a pretty easy starting point imo

6. i haven’t read that one and want to pick it up. maybe this year

7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

if you can get past jumping between narrators, the writing is some of his most straightforward imo

jordalsh likes this.
  8. laraheart

Hey book fans, can anyone think of songs that were inspired by modern books? I'm compiling a list for my website (songs you didn't know were inspired by books) but every single one (bar the Chuck Palahniuk fans) is about a required reading text from school (Lord of the Flies, 1984, etc).

9. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

House of Leaves by Circa Survive is one, I think

laraheart and Philll like this.
  10. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

i'm not positive but i'm pretty sure parts of Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool was influenced by the book The Moon Pool. However, the book is not modern, it was published in 1919. kind of a trip book if i recall it right. i remember listening to the album and finding it very similar thematically to the book.

laraheart likes this.
  11. marsupial jones

also Gatsby's American Dream has songs that are influenced by literature a lot (obviously) - Lord of the Flies, LOTR, and Ender's Game can all be found on songs on Volcano. i assume their other albums also carry literary themes and references.

laraheart and Leftandleaving like this.
  12. tvck

Trusted

laraheart likes this.
  13. Philll

Trusted

Snicker at the Swine is about Animal Farm. In fact I believe there are references to that book throughout Ribbons and Sugar (including the title itself if I remember correctly).

What The Writer Meant by Hop Along references Watership Down, though I think the movie rather than the book. So that's probably not helpful in the least.

14. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Thrice’s Daedalus and The Melting Point of Wax are both sides of the Icarus myth.

laraheart likes this.
  15. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I was just listening to What the Writer Meant! I think it counts even though you’re prob right about the movie. Great book and song though.

laraheart and Philll like this.
  16. Philll

Trusted

Never read it but it's on my shelf to tackle this year!

17. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Check out Mortal Trash and What Is This Thing Called Love by Kim Addonizio. She's a favorite of mine. Also Hanif Abdurraqib has two collections out, The Crown Ain't Worth and, mentioned earlier, A Fortune for Your Disaster which im pretty sure is lifted from that one Fall Out Boy song. Haha

Philll likes this.
  18. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Also Tommy Pico's poetry is phenomenal. Any one of his booklength collections is worth looking into.

19. The Lucky Moose Jan 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 19, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I recently bought and read 'Immigrant, Montana' by Amitava Kumar. It's basically about the college experience of an Indian immigrant in New York. It's a blend of fiction and non-fiction, according to the author. It's a really good read.

These sentences wrecked me, being an immigrant and all:

All his home ties had been severed and it is quite certain that if he came to India he would feel unhappy and out of joint. But in spite of the passage of time the home pull remains. No exile can escape the malady of his tribe, that consumption of the soul.

It's not a story spoiler, just some beautiful writing.

Also this Haiku that is in there really touched me, for the same reasons:

Even when I am in Kyoto
    When I hear the call of the cuckoo
    I miss Kyoto

This also doesn't spoil any story.

Philll likes this.
  20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

A bunch of Alexisonfire songs from Watch Out are inspired by short stories from Kurt Vonnegut’s Welcome to the Monkey House

laraheart likes this.
  21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This sounds right up my alley. Gonna add it to my list.

AP_Punk likes this.
  22. marsupial jones

really? I love that book, and album, and never made the connection (grantees I read the book 3 years ago and haven’t really listened to the album in 6-7). Gonna have to listen to this and read the lyrics tomorrow for sure.

23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Specifically it’s:
    It Was Fear of Myself That Made Me Odd - Report on the Barnhouse Effect
    No Transitory - Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow
    Happiness by the Kilowatt - The Euphio Question

Happiness is the most directly related. But you can still see the influence in the other two.

marsupial jones likes this.
  24. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

0F6B6EC5-F496-481E-AF34-1A9734751293.jpeg

People who have read World War Z:
    F4BFAF91-5190-4279-8B6B-E88CAE386CD0.png

25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious