Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 100

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Hanif is on a streak right now. He's got a new book coming out next year and I can't wait for it. They Can't Kill Us was great and so was Go Ahead in the Rain.

Rowan5215 and jordalsh like this.
  2. Hanif is probably my favorite active writer

3. i’m in a long car ride so for fun i quickly put together a faves of the decade list. there are about a billion things i need to read still and this list leans heavily on the past few years because i got out of college but this was fun
    1. They Can’t Kill Us Until They Kill Us — Hanif Abdurraqib
    2. Skippy Dies— Paul Murray
    3. Night Moves—Jessica Hopper
    4. Lincoln in the Bardo—George Saunders
    5. The Great Believers—Rebecca Makkai
    6. Cockroaches—Scholastique Mukasonga
    7. Asymmetry—Lisa Halliday
    8. A Fortune for Your Disaster—Hanif Abdurraqib
    9. Exit West—Mohsin Hamid
    10. Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl—Carrie Brownstein
    11. Universal Harvester—John Darnielle
    12. The Underground Railroad—Colson Whitehead
    13. A Little Life—Hanna Yanagihara
    14. Nothing to See Here—Kevin Wilson
    15. Sabrina—Nick Drnaso
    16. When Rap Spoke Straight to God—Erica Dawson
    17. On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous—Ocean Vuong
    18. The Mark and the Void—Paul Murray
    19. Tonight I’m Someone Else—Chelsea Hodson
    20. The First Collection of Criticism By a Living Female Rock Critic—Jessica Hopper

AP_Punk, Rowan5215 and OotyPa like this.
  4. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I was not a fan of Kill Us. The writing itself was fine but I can’t do essays. Bought it based on the neat cover but only got half way through before stopping

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Same question as what I asked earlier but which of these fall within literary fiction?

6. these ones!
    1. Skippy Dies— Paul Murray
    2. Lincoln in the Bardo—George Saunders
    3. The Great Believers—Rebecca Makkai
    4. Cockroaches—Scholastique Mukasonga (this is actually memoir i guess but it’s written like a novel)
    5. Asymmetry—Lisa Halliday
    6. Exit West—Mohsin Hamid
    7. Universal Harvester—John Darnielle
    8. The Underground Railroad—Colson Whitehead
    9. A Little Life—Hanna Yanagihara
    10. Nothing to See Here—Kevin Wilson
    11. On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous—Ocean Vuong
    12. The Mark and the Void—Paul Murray

OotyPa and The Lucky Moose like this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Heard great things about Exit West

8. i really loved it. quick read too, only took me like a day (and i’m not the fastest reader)

9. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I've got Go Ahead in the Rain on deck after I finish Crown Ain't Worth Much and A Fortune for Your Disaster. so excited, huge Tribe fan

AP_Punk and jordalsh like this.
  10. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

A new year means new books!

Here are some to keep on your radar in the next couple months:

Apeirogon by Colum McCann (fucking mesmerizing story revolving around the Israeli-Palestine conflict)

Good Citizens Need Not Fear by Maria Reva (fans of Anthony Marra's Tsar of Love and Techno will enjoy this; it has a darker comedic tone to it)

How Much of These Hills is Gold by C. Pam Zhang (already an instant favorite of 2020 for me)

Saint X by Alexis Schaitkin (a captivating and unique debut/a true-crime-meets-coming-of-age novel)

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins (there's already tons of hype for it and while I don't think it's worthy of all that hype, it's still worth reading. Definitely a book people will be talking about all year)

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I've just wrapped up the first volume of 1Q84 and I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to realize that the boy from her childhood Aomame keeps referencing, and the same with Tengo, are just the two of them.

12. midnightxtaylor

Regular

How weird that you mentioned this book, because I just came into this thread to say that I finally sat down and finished 1Q84 this morning since I've been reading it on and off for 2-3 years and didn't want to drag it into another decade. I don't know why it took me so long, it was an interesting story, but I really struggled to stick with it at times.

13. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

I’ve been really slacking on reading these past few years. Only managed 2 books in 2019. Must try harder

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I'm reading less and less but it's probably because I'm reading massive high fantasy novels lol. Quality over quantity!

15. starting the year off with Inland by Téa Obreht, which I've been eyeing since it came out. I already love the prose in this

16. dlemert

Trusted

I started it a few days ago also. Much stranger than I expected but I'm digging it so far.

jordalsh likes this.
  17. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  18. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

getting my hair cut and then going to the local bar to sit and have a quiet drink and some dinner by myself before getting back to work after the holidays.

thinking of picking up Gideon the Ninth or maybe Ninth House to read, anyone read them? Determined to read more this year

20. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Imaginary Friend is vintage King this is incredible

21. RamonaQuimby

Trusted

Anyone know any good books about the Salem Witch Trails? (Nonfiction)

22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Slowed real down on reading with the holidays and such. I did finish reading The Chain by Adrian McKinty and felt it was a solid read. Nothing groundbreaking but a very intriguing plot and the characters getting into stressful situations.

Just began The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek by Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal. So far enjoying this a lot. However, it reminds me a lot of The Institute by Stephen King which I absolutely LOVED ... so I constantly keep thinking of the Institute and how much I love that book.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Have had The Chain on my list for awhile.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  24. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

It’s a solid, easy read. I thought the plot was intriguing!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Recently read the novel Qualityland by Marc-Uwe Kling.

It's like Futurama meets Brave New World meets Kurt Vonnegut meets Mike Judge - absurdly hilarious and disturbingly prescient. Highly recommended.

aoftbsten and The Lucky Moose like this.