Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Of Henry (Colin Trevorrow, June 16th 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Mar 29, 2017.

1. devenstonow

Noobie

IIRC he was supposed to just be doing an "anthology" film (before Rogue One was renamed "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story"). I think it was heavily rumored (or confirmed or "confirmed") that it would be a Bobba Fett movie.

but all this discussion about Trevorrow's impact on IX implies that he actually has creative control over it (something I refuse to believe no matter how much Disney/JJ/Rian Johnson say they do)

Davjs likes this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

Agreed, Disney is such a machine that the story and such is probably already in stone. I think the shooting style will have his touch on it, as Force Awakens had JJ's but I don't think IX will have any real problems.

3. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

95% of the problems this movie has are because of the script, which Treverrow didn't write. It's still troubling that he thought it was somehow direct-able though.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I'd disagree, the movie is so baffling and comes off so poorly because Trevorrow is tone deaf. He has no idea how to craft a movie with empathy and consideration, let alone one that considers a non-male perspective.

5. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Not sure what to make of this.

6. Nathan

Lol that same dude tried to defend Book of Henry by saying Treverrow made it while working on Star Wars

7. devenstonow

Noobie

i don't think that's defending the movie

8. Nathan

He's deflecting criticism of Treverrow as a director to the circumstances around making the movie rather than Treverrow's ability as an artist, then.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I saw a Slate article today pointing out the odd parts and I forgot Sarah Silverman's character (who had a mutual disdain with Henry) kisses him on the lips on his deathbed

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. Morrissey

Trusted

Remember in Jurassic World where the little kid start crying about his parent's divorce out of nowhere and then it was never brought up again?

iCarly Rae Jepsen and jkauf like this.
  12. Nathan

Remember Colin Treverrow's debut short film was about a guy who starts fucking his ex-girlfriend's mom to torture his ex-girlfriend?

he is allergic to cohesive, authentic empathy and emotion, and he revels in straight white dudes who are smarter and better than everyone around them, especially the women.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

What led you to seek out his short?

14. Nathan

I saw a couple critics talking about it on twitter, about how its misogyny and chauvinism is in the DNA of everything he's made since. They were right and I probably wasted eight minutes, but it does inform the attitudes present in Safety Not Guaranteed, Jurassic World, and the Book of Henry, even if they're less overtly disgusting.

15. Morrissey

Trusted

I have had to watch Jurassic World five times because of my job. Each time is more disappointing than the last.

16. Jake Gyllenhaal

You get paid to watch movies?!?!? Super jealous

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

18. Jake Gyllenhaal

19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This movie was impressively poor

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  20. Dog with a Blog

Im honestly kind of interested in seeing it. Bad movies are a dime a dozen but I hear this one is special in how bad it is

21. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I think I would recommend it, just because of how baffling it is. None of it works

coleslawed and Dog with a Blog like this.