Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Big Sick (Michael Showalter, June 23,2017) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 2, 2017.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

As much as Aidy and Kurt, basically their contained to any scene at the comedy club

tdlyon likes this.
  2. algae

Regular Prestigious

This was painfully average to be honest

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

This was v good

4. algae

Regular Prestigious

The whole time I thought that the relationship that Kumail develops with Emily's parents would result in a meaningful resolution with his own parents. It's so strange to have that take up most of the film and have it lead to a big nothing.

brandon_260 likes this.
  5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I'd argue it's something much more meaningful than a clear cut resolution. It knows the situation is not easy, both sides are deeply entrenched in their stances, but they still love each other. The passing off of the homemade Biryani and "We are no longer speaking to you. Text us when you arrive" are beautiful gestures that exemplify Kumail's progressiveness (moving to New York) and his families values (the Biryani) as both being part of his future. It's beautiful, aching, and a signifier that their love for each other runs deeper than their conflict.

6. algae

Regular Prestigious

I think the relationship was largely underdeveloped on the whole though. Emily's parents were treated with much more nuance. His parents are almost exclusively relegated to building the conflict. In the end, they definitely care for his well being but do they really understand him and the decisions he's making? I don't think that's actual love or a healthy relationship.

I just think that there's a lot more to explore with that relationship, which makes me seriously question why I instead had to watch a middle aged white couple get so much screen time in a supposedly progressive film.

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Best rom com I've seen in a while

8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I still need to see this. Maybe I'll try to go next weekend.

9. Nathan

This is a story about Kumail and Emily, and Emily was put into a medically induced coma, so I just think structurally telling that story puts a lot of the focus on Emily's parents. Sure there's usually always more to explore in any given movie, and his family were great performers playing great characters, but the primary conflict is Kumail's inability to be honest with them/Emily, and it's already a two hour movie. I don't think his parents are as one-note as you seem to feel, the scene where his dad accuses him of being selfish is a standout, and there's the scene where his brother talks about when he dated American girls, so I think there is understanding that the film conveys has the potential to grow, especially with the post-credits images from Kumail and Emily's Pakistani wedding. I can't fault you for your feelings, your response is valid, but it's hard for me to hold the way Kumail and Emily wrote their true story against them.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it's interesting because i think i would dislike the movie more if i didn't now it was based on the truth. i think that influenced how much i like the movie quite a bit

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

saw this movie this weekend, really enjoyed it

12. algae

Regular Prestigious

I understand that this is their actual story but Kumail as a character largely views Pakistan, his culture, and his family through a negative lens. In a film that is being praised for progressiveness, Islam is considered outdated and the United States is modern. This dichotomy is the same one that "they" use, it's the prevailing belief behind Islamophobia.

I thought the one man show would reveal a bit more of the complicated relationship he has with his culture but I received nothing. The resolution comes with his ability to largely reject his Pakistani family and culture without questioning why he wanted to do so. A vision of the future to me doesn't look like approximating Whiteness in order to feel American. :thumbdown:

13. Nathan

Totally fair. I'll say I don't think the film posited Kumail's perspective as necessarily correct, and that the resolution is more his being honest with Emily and his parents about himself than a rejection of his families' culture, but I don't think anything you're saying is incorrect.

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeahrightdude likes this.
  15. Jake Gyllenhaal

16. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Excited to finally see this on Friday!

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

As expected there was a bit of a weird disconnect because it's based on real people and how much is their real life, like I know Emily went to school for therapy/is from North Carolina/ got sick etc, and also the fact that Kumail was playing himself ten years ago; I loved Zoe it's just you know this movie must have been so weird for Emily to be involved in or at least I imagine it would be weird/hard to relive it and see other people playing you and your parents even if you approve of the casting

Holly Hunter was great and I love that Ray Romano is a character actor now

I really related to Kumail's struggle to try to appease everyone and in the process making them more hurt and disappointed, even though it's a different cultural context I think we can all be like that with our parents, trying to be who we think they want us to be

Also how cool was Emily's Promise Ring poster and Kumail's Shaun of the Dead poster

I also loved that Kurt said "Lauren you up" when Lauren is his wife's name and told his laser printer joke

also I'm going to hell because Girlfriend In A Coma by The Smiths was in my head for that whole chunk of the movie

18. Jake Gyllenhaal

The one thing I felt was left hanging was Kumail's relationship with his parents after the events depicted. Obviously they attended the Pakistani wedding as shown in the epilogue. And from interviews he's still close and had prepared them they were going to be depicted in a way on screen by actors.

Aaron Mook and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  19. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

This was everything I hoped it would be, I cried laughing at Kumails 9/11 joke! Really really beautiful film

Aaron Mook and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Currently a line going out in the rain for this. Dope.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Aaaaand sold out haha

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

This was fucking excellent.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Rare great theater experience too when the crowd all laughed at the passing comment of Holly Hunter going to ECU.

25. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I cannot believe how much this is catching on. I think we're getting to the point where it nabbing a best original screenplay nomination is a LEGIT possibility.

CarpetElf likes this.