Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Big Sick (Michael Showalter, June 23,2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 2, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

suicidesaints likes this.
  2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This was so sweet, funny and sentimental without being overbearing or too schmaltzy. I loved it.

Aaron Mook and aoftbsten like this.
  3. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Just saw this last night in NJ. Maybe my favorite movie this year (either that or Get Out). Definitely my favorite RomCom in at least a decade.

Plenty of laughs and absolutely sweet.

JRGComedy and Zilla like this.
  4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Opening this weekend here. Really want to try to catch this and Baby Driver ASAP.

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I loved it too. A movie like this could've been daunting in spots considering what happens to one of the characters, but they dodge that bullet and is better for it. Kumail shines, while Ray Romano and Holly Hunter managed to surprise me. This was just great all around

Aaron Mook and Zilla like this.
  6. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

Where'd you see this in NJ??

7. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Bowtie Clairidge Cinema in Montclair

marceting likes this.
  8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I really liked this!

Not a slight against this film specifically but rather the sort of umbrella of films this falls under, but it's becoming a little tiring the way all these films hit the same beats. 45-60 min of straight firing jokes, then plot takes over and jokes fall aside. I felt like with the whole reconciliation towards that I knew every thing it was going to hit. I know this is their story so I kind of excuse it more than usual, but this formula is becoming increasingly played out. I'm waiting for a film where they just keep shooting jokes for the whole thing.

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like Zoe Kazan does not get enough love. This and The F Word are probably the best of these indie rom-coma to come out in recent memory.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I really liked Ruby Sparks too

js977 and brandon_260 like this.
  11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I liked that at the time too! It's been like 5 years since I saw it though.

12. marceting

Trusted

13. Davjs

Trusted

High praise! I really want to see this.

14. marceting

Trusted

Good movie but 97% on RT? Nah.

15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

No 97% of critics don't like it??

16. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

I really loved this. Ray Romano and Holly Hunter were great, and sign me up for the Zoe Kazan is Underrated club.

17. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Can't wait for this to open near me

18. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i am seeing this tonight!!!!

19. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i see what you did there

coleslawed likes this.
  20. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Haha that wasn't even intentional

21. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Oh my lord this hit me so hard. I don't think I love a movie this year as much as this one. Kazan was amazing. Kumail was amazing. The script and Showalter's direction were so beautiful, the scene where Kumail and Emily's parents go to her apartment while she's in her coma and everything is untouched was so poignant, and later on when she's out of the coma and going out, Ray Romano has a line delivery of "You've got your phone?" That just killed me. I expected to like this as a fan of the Indoor Kids and Kumail and Emily in general but I tried to temper my expectations, but really it just connected with me so hard in everything it did.

22. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I wrote up a little bit on letterboxd why this movie seemed to hit on every single possible level a movie can hit me.

https://boxd.it/imu31

coleslawed and teebs41 like this.
  23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Just saw this is playing near me this weekend, thought I was gonna have to wait another week.

24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I really enjoyed this. Definitely got emotional at times despite knowing the outcome. Also, I'm happy to see Showalter impress me as a director with the equally enjoyable Hello My Name Is Doris.

And I totally spotted the real Emily sitting in the back next to Bo at the NYC show

JRGComedy and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

How much screentime does Bo have? Guessing not a lot