Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Bicycling Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ben, Aug 31, 2016.

1. A Specialized Dolce!

Started early last year on a cheap Trek Hybrid from Bicycle BlueBook to get my wet feet and to see if it was a hobby I would keep. Then in April of this year I got my Dolce. I just painted it yellow last weekend in honor of my grandma who recently passed away. It was her favorite color :)

coleslawed and ChiliTacos like this.
  2. I’m a sucker for gradients lol

3. Kits are another reason cycling is a pricey hobby.

The kits I do have are ones I find on clearance at Bike shops lol. Usually under $20 lol although I got the NASA one from Heavy Pedal for like $30 once during their holiday sale.

4. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Nice! My wife tested a Dolce when we were getting her a bike and she loved it. Ended up getting a used Trek with better components for less money, but I think a part of her is sad that she doesn't have that grey and pink dolce haha.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. It's cool that you're able to use your bike to honor her :)

BoldType likes this.
  5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Another rainy commute tonight. At least I won't be stuck on a tram I guess.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  6. christopherwatkins May 12, 2020
    (Last edited: May 13, 2020)
    christopherwatkins

I have a sports bicycle on which I ride every day right after my job. I ride a lot, I live on the pearl of the west coast and I ride from up to the bottom of the city. However, sometimes I can't ride cause of the bad weather outside so I bought a training bike that would help me to maintain my body. However, turns out my training bike makes a lot of noise and I'm disturbing the neighbors. I thought maybe a mat would help me to stabilize this situation since my bike trainer gives a lot of vibrations but if there is a good mat than the situation may change. So I am planning to buy, but guys do I need a mat under my peloton?

spreadthehummus2321 likes this.
  7. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

lol im taking this thread popping up as a sign cuz i was just thinking i should start biking again. got a nice trail near my house that i used to ride all the time, im just usually too sore and beat after work but still i gotta at least start doing it on the weekends or something. need to get my ass back in shape after a month off from any exercise really anyway ha

got me a hybrid bike of some kind. all i know is i like how its red

coleslawed and Ben like this.
  8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

been debating getting a DH/mountain bike

spreadthehummus2321 likes this.
  9. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

My old bike was recently stolen so @dylan got me a new one and it’s amazing. 9128675A-6DC4-4B7A-94A8-1589182BF2AC.jpeg

10. Weird LiBrary May 19, 2020
    (Last edited: May 19, 2020)
    Weird LiBrary

Regular

Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap(er) trail bike? I'm getting bored with just taking my road bike through the suburbs every day, but I'm not willing to pay in the thousands at this point in time.

Thanks!

11. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

My Giant Escape 3 has held up very well over the past 5 years. I think it cost me $450 or so at that time. Still love riding it.

Weird LiBrary likes this.
  12. Weird LiBrary

Regular

Thanks! I'll look into that.

13. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Been trying to teach my 7 year old how to ride a bike for the last two years... never worked. Read articles, watched YouTube... nothing helped. Then, today she goes across the street to talk to some of her friends and one of them teaches her how to ride within 20 minutes. Never fell once. Great parenting moment for sure lol

14. LuigiPeppercorn Aug 1, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 1, 2020)
    LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I got really into cycling during the quarantine to the point where i bought myself a pretty nice road bike. it was taking me about 50 minutes to do 10 miles on a mountain bike and i've cut it down to about 36 minutes. i still think that can be cut down, but i feel so much better riding now

does anyone have any recommendations for apparel? looked at hill killer and they seem to be out of stock of a lot that I like, but I like a lot of what they have

15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Hell yeah! I'm from Baltimore I didn't realize Hill Killer had popularity outside the DMV area. All my jerseys are from them. They do run small though, I'm typically a medium and all my stuff from there are large.

16. Indigo

Regular

Hey never noticed there was a cycling thread on here! Cool. Hey everyone. I'm glad to see apparel being discussed because I have the worst time finding stuff I like. I have a lot of Club Ride tops since I tend to wear them to the pub after long rides and I like the more casual look. Never heard of Hill Killer until this very moment haha, but eager to browse their selection now.

17. Indigo

Regular

18. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

i got my hill killer tops in yesterday and i gotta say, i look sexy af

edit: photo of me looking sexy af
    67C72A98-28E4-4B2B-8110-AE9EB70E0EA1.jpeg

DefeatTheLow and Ben like this.
  19. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I didn’t get out on my bike nearly as much this summer as I did last :verysad: I can’t wait to be done with nursing school lol

DefeatTheLow likes this.
  20. Indigo

Regular

I've spent a disproportionate amount of time pulling my son in his trailer with my gravel bike this year than I've spent on the trails haha. That's cool though because he has a blast back there.

coleslawed and Ben like this.
  21. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Went to Nantucket for work yesterday and rented a bike to get around... 9.6 mi later and holy **** did my butt hurt. So much pain by the time I got home.

22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

going on a 4-day bike packing tour in the Superior National Forest/North Shore of Lake Superior the first weekend in October, super stoked.

was working on my training for the trip by commuting to work, but turns out my rear wheel is pretty messed up. thought I had found a nice replacement wheeset, but, whadaya know, they’re not compatible with my frame. but! I found a “blem” frame/fork today (I work at a shop, which helps a ton), so I’m gonna build up a new rig using the old components to get back on the road while the first wheel gets fixed, then hang onto the old frame/wheel set as a backup.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

also, got a beauty of a hardtail built up this summer :hearteyes:

B04BF57A-6FFB-4AD5-B801-C424D0D2DD24.jpeg

trevorshmevor and Ben like this.
  24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That's a rad looking bike.

25. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I’ve lived in Chicago for 13 years and last summer is when I finally pulled the trigger on a bike. This is my ride: a Golden Cycles Shocker fixie. Perfect for commuting and overall speeding around town.

CF246C3E-028F-4E14-B5FC-1CCEE1428D99.jpeg