Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! This is our yearly pitch about becoming a supporting member. If 90 people sign up we'll hit our yearly goals. It's basically 7 cents a day and you can get rid of all the shitty ads on the forum.

The Bicycling Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ChiliTacos, Aug 31, 2016.

1. ChiliTacos

Trusted Prestigious

I pulled the trigger! My first road bike! Specialized Roubaix Sport. I'm in loveeeeeeeee.

20190807_113321.jpg

Randall Mentzos, coleslawed and Nick like this.
  2. Nick

@fangclubb Supporter

3. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Ugghhh, miss my road bike. They just cost so damn much.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  4. ChiliTacos

Trusted Prestigious

For sure. This bike is by no stretch of the imagination in my budget. I've been working as a contractor over the past year and pay for my travel (3 weeks/month) with my own credit card and then get reimbursed. I've been signing up for cards left and right to hit signup bonuses and I've amassed........a shit load of cash back rewards. Leaving my job for nursing school in two weeks where I'm going to be flat broke for the next three years so I decided to treat myself to something I know I'll be using forever and wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

Hopefully you can get one at some point!

coleslawed likes this.
  5. Nick

@fangclubb Supporter

Thankfully theres a bike to work scheme here, where you essentially can purchase bikes up to €1000 tax free. You can buy more expensive bikes but only get tax off the first €1000. I basically got my bike for half price. We're very lucky it exists.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  6. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That's fantastic, unfortunately where I live there's hardly any bike lanes. But it seems like they're working on it (although the people that live on the streets complain since they typically lose parking spaces because of it).

7. ChiliTacos

Trusted Prestigious

First ride on the new bike today, went 22 miles! Soooo fun. I was able to increase my typical avg mph by over 2.

Anthony Brooks, Nick and coleslawed like this.
  8. Randall Mentzos

Fred's still my favorite

I BOUGHT IT AND I LOVE IT

Jamis Sequel is a hell of a bike. Couldn’t afford the rack / tote bags / lights for night riding yet... but I got the bike and the locks. Feels great. Pretty soon I’ll be using Lyft / Uber much less.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  9. ChiliTacos

Trusted Prestigious

Getting into biking has been one of the best things I've ever done for my mental health and depression. Obviously everyone is different but like, I will always rec biking to anyone.

coleslawed and Nick like this.
  10. Nick

@fangclubb Supporter

I wanted to go for a cycle today but I woke up with a blocked nose, sore throat and to coldish weather. Lame. The cold wind is just a bit risky with a sore throat I don't want to make myself worse.

I went out for 15 minutes or so to check and try get used to clipless some more and decided to head back. Don't have the right gear clean for the weather.

11. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Biking is the best. Ever since i got a decent bike a few years ago (a Giant road/city hybrid) i finally realized what all the hype was about.

coleslawed and ChiliTacos like this.
  12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I really need to get biking again - wanna start biking to work more. I gotta figure out my rear brakes though, super screechy anytime I try to use them. Started after I cleaned my chain the other day.

13. Nick

@fangclubb Supporter

Cold cycle in to work this morning. There was a chill in the breeze again. I gotta work on getting some winter options. Going to order a base layer and some tights. That should do me through autumn.

ChiliTacos and coleslawed like this.
  14. ChiliTacos

Trusted Prestigious

Who here is on strava? I wanna add y'all.

15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! This is our yearly pitch about becoming a supporting member. If 90 people sign up we'll hit our yearly goals. It's basically 7 cents a day and you can get rid of all the shitty ads on the forum.