Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Bicycling Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ben, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I pulled the trigger! My first road bike! Specialized Roubaix Sport. I'm in loveeeeeeeee.

20190807_113321.jpg

2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

3. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Ugghhh, miss my road bike. They just cost so damn much.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  4. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

For sure. This bike is by no stretch of the imagination in my budget. I've been working as a contractor over the past year and pay for my travel (3 weeks/month) with my own credit card and then get reimbursed. I've been signing up for cards left and right to hit signup bonuses and I've amassed........a shit load of cash back rewards. Leaving my job for nursing school in two weeks where I'm going to be flat broke for the next three years so I decided to treat myself to something I know I'll be using forever and wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

Hopefully you can get one at some point!

coleslawed likes this.
  5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Thankfully theres a bike to work scheme here, where you essentially can purchase bikes up to €1000 tax free. You can buy more expensive bikes but only get tax off the first €1000. I basically got my bike for half price. We're very lucky it exists.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  6. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That's fantastic, unfortunately where I live there's hardly any bike lanes. But it seems like they're working on it (although the people that live on the streets complain since they typically lose parking spaces because of it).

7. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

First ride on the new bike today, went 22 miles! Soooo fun. I was able to increase my typical avg mph by over 2.

8. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

I BOUGHT IT AND I LOVE IT

Jamis Sequel is a hell of a bike. Couldn’t afford the rack / tote bags / lights for night riding yet... but I got the bike and the locks. Feels great. Pretty soon I’ll be using Lyft / Uber much less.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  9. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Getting into biking has been one of the best things I've ever done for my mental health and depression. Obviously everyone is different but like, I will always rec biking to anyone.

BoldType, coleslawed and Nick like this.
  10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I wanted to go for a cycle today but I woke up with a blocked nose, sore throat and to coldish weather. Lame. The cold wind is just a bit risky with a sore throat I don't want to make myself worse.

I went out for 15 minutes or so to check and try get used to clipless some more and decided to head back. Don't have the right gear clean for the weather.

11. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Biking is the best. Ever since i got a decent bike a few years ago (a Giant road/city hybrid) i finally realized what all the hype was about.

BoldType, coleslawed and ChiliTacos like this.
  12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I really need to get biking again - wanna start biking to work more. I gotta figure out my rear brakes though, super screechy anytime I try to use them. Started after I cleaned my chain the other day.

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Cold cycle in to work this morning. There was a chill in the breeze again. I gotta work on getting some winter options. Going to order a base layer and some tights. That should do me through autumn.

BoldType, ChiliTacos and coleslawed like this.
  14. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Who here is on strava? I wanna add y'all.

BoldType likes this.
  15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

16. How did I not know about this thread?

Yes yes 100% with you on that. Cycling has really transformed my mental state. For me riding is a feeling I can’t quite explain or give it enough justice but it feels amazing.

Same. The hype is real haha

17. BoldType Aug 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 20, 2019)
    One of my favorite cycling brands right now is Ostroy. I cannot pronounce it haha but their gear and overall aesthetic is right up my alley. The kits themselves are too rich for my blood. ( why are kits expensive? *insert bummed out face* )

I got their “Fuck This Let’s Ride” socks and “Pretty Okay at Bikes” socks, bottle and sweater during a sale once and it was a glorious day I tell ya.

https://instagram.com/ostroynyc

coleslawed and ChiliTacos like this.
  18. That view is incredible.

19. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Welcome! What do you ride?

BoldType likes this.
  20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

That stuff is awesome. I can't afford those expensive kits. I've bought a few from China though and a fraction of the price.

I think the next thing I need is a good commuting backpack.

BoldType likes this.
  21. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Got any links? I'd be interested as I can't really afford any kits either lol.

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Look up Racmmer on aliexpress. Gotta go a size up as well. They're Chinese sizes.

They have some Rapha-like kits. Quality obviously isn't as good as the more expensive stuff but it's still quite good.

Racmmer Official Store
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/lGvC1INE

ChiliTacos likes this.
  23. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Damn some of those look real nice.

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah some real nice designs. As good as other budget kits in quality but better designs.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I only wear Hill Killer. Love their stuff.

For Him

Their GOT series are awesome

[​IMG]

ChiliTacos likes this.