Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Bicycling Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ben, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Slacked on riding this Summer up until a few weeks ago, now I can't get enough. Did a nice 25 mile ride on Saturday.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  2. That's awesome. Wish I could ride more this time of year. Unfortunately, it's pretty much a death wish in AZ hah.

3. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I need to get out and bike more.

[​IMG]

ChiliTacos likes this.
  4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

hello bike thread. I have a single speed/fixie that I barely ride, but picked up a cross bike to get me outside more this summer. got lost trying to get to a nearby park saturday, went on a successful ride there today.
    8A8CEBE7-9789-4ADE-8FFF-EB11FAA39213.jpeg 816750A7-F27F-460F-8969-33D9F3FFF201.jpeg

5. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Been biking a ton this Summer, almost every day. I still love my hybrid but it's time for a road bike. I love going fast and it kills me when I go out with my dad and he passes me seemingly coasting while I'm pedaling for my life. I've built up a shit ton of credit card points over the past couple years because I've been working as a contractor and put all my business expenses on my own cards, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Not sure what to get, I have a Specialized now and really like it so I wouldn't mind sticking with that brand.

I've also lost 20 pounds this summer and I owe it all to my bike!

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I got a road bike a couple on months ago. Absolutely love it.

Actually just got clipless pedals and a pair of shoes delivered today.

BoldType, coleslawed and ChiliTacos like this.
  7. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

You can't say you got a new bike and not post a pic!

I tried my dad's clipless pedals a couple weeks ago, and I almost fell off when I came to a stop sign haha. Takes a bit of getting used to but man it's so much better.

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Hah I’ve been meaning to take a photo for ages. It’s dirty now though.

It’s a trek domane al 3. The geometry is a bit more relaxed but it's a lot faster and easier to control than my hybrid. Much more fun to cycle. Every time I hop on the hybrid I feel like something is wrong.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the first couple of falls :crylaugh:

ChiliTacos likes this.
  9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

ChiliTacos likes this.
  10. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

I’m buying a fucking $1050 Jamis Sequel

Was just, far and away the best bike I tried. It was both more of a mountain bike than their DTX hybrid AND more efficient on the road. Looks cool as fuck too.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  11. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

27697F2E-AEAA-435A-967A-9A842B68129A.jpeg

In love with the big ass wheels and “desert storm” color. Gears, suspension, brakes, handlebars were all way better and smoother than the 3 $600ish bikes I tried

Matt, coleslawed and ChiliTacos like this.
  12. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

That's a beaut man. That'll be a joy to ride.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Installing my clipless pedals today. I got some pedal plates so I can keep cycling in normal shoes for my commute / till I get used to them

14. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

that thing looks sick.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

can't commit to clipless, but I'm looking into getting some BMX/fixie-style straps to put on both bikes.

16. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Did an organized ride thing this morning in my area. I hesitate to call it a race because it wasn't timed or anything. It's called Bike to the Beat and they have stops along the way with live music and food. Tons of fun!

Screenshot_20190803-094753_Strava.jpg

coleslawed and Nick like this.
  17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Nice. I'm still fairly unfit so haven't had the balls to do anything of that distance. Planning to do a 30km ride the next couple of days though.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  18. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

did my first bit of trail riding today. crazy how different 10 miles of singletrack feels compared to on pavement.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  19. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I tried singletrack once and freaked out when I came to a banked turn lol.

coleslawed likes this.
  20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Tried clipless first time today. Just to try and get used to it.

Didn't die. I'll take that as a win.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  21. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Did it make a pretty big difference in your power?

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I've only really just gone around nearby roads to try get used to clipping in and out.

Went out again to try and fell :tear:

I'm going for a proper cycle tomorrow, I'll let you know after that.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I got over-confident out of the gate and totally ate it on my first big drop. went like 5mph tops after that

ChiliTacos likes this.
  24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

So I just went out on a longer ride, the equivalent of going to my parents. Only 12k or so but I’m starting out small to get used to them.

In a word, yes. I felt so much more in control, it was easier to hit my normal average speed and I got my highest speed so far on flat ground. I also didn’t fall so that was successful. I can see why people say they feel closer to the bike.

I need to get a proper fitting done though.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Just did one this weekend as well! Was nice to be out there all morning riding.

[​IMG]

ChiliTacos likes this.