Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Best Albums of 2021 (So Far) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 5, 2021.

1. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Legitimately had no idea you enjoyed that album haha

Elder Lightning likes this.
  2. Look, it hurts my feelings when people tell me they don't read my weekly newsletter. Why do you hurt me like this? ;-p

3. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

I need to dig into the list, but how is Drew the only one who even has Adult Mom on his list?

(I'm also assuming everyone just missed the Joe Vann record)

Bartek T. and Drew Beringer like this.
  4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Hahaha I read it every week except whatever week you talked about Gami Gang apparently :crylaugh:

5. The Joe Vann record is great! I had to whittle down to a top 30 and at some point it got cut, but agree that record definitely feels slept on across the site in general. Tbh I think I prefer it over the last From Indian Lakes record

bobsheiskawy likes this.
  6. Haha.

I wrote about them a few times.

In the Spotlight: 50 Bands You Need to Hear in 2019 (Part Two)
    Origami Angel are a two-piece emo rock band from Washington, D.C., and I originally checked them out because I liked their song titles. I know, it’s weird, but when a song is titled “ROM Hack” I am just drawn to it. The band has a clever way of mixing their catchy melodies with cool guitar parts and lyrics that range from dealing with depression, growing up, love, and Pokémon.

Liner Notes (May 1st, 2021)
    Origami Angel released a 20-song pop-punk album that pulls all the right things from the genre. It’s catchy. It’s full of little perfectly quotable moments that capture a specific feeling of adolescence. It has a wildly hanging out on Warped Tour in 2003 vibe, but while some modern spin. This will be in rotation for quite a while now.

Liner Notes (November 15th, 2019)
    Origami Angel dropped their new full-length today called Somewhere City. This has been a band I’ve been keeping an eye on for a while, and I’m very impressed upon first listen. They seem to have taken a nice creative jump here, and they make this interesting emo-rock sound in a way that feels fresh.

BEsterley and JRGComedy like this.
  7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Bookmarking this for reference when I act shocked in two years that you like their next release lol

slickdtc and Jason Tate like this.
  8. J.Dick

Regular

Without a doubt my favorite record of the year so far. In fact I can’t think of a record over the past 2 years that speaks to me as much.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  9. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

@Mary V so glad to see Crowded Houses on this, what a surprise, I'd never heard of them before, so excellent. Will make sure to check out everything else on your list. So glad to see Shame at 1 and Squid high up there as well cheers!

Mary V likes this.
  10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I know I'll get hounded with a 'do the work yourself' comment but it'd be great if these lists had an audio track (Spotify or YouTube) link to go with each band/album.

A lot of bands I haven't heard on all your lists. I'll work my way through it at some point.

Serenity Now and trevorshmevor like this.
  11. trevorshmevor Jul 6, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 6, 2021)
    It’s not the aggregate list, but I actually do have a Spotify playlist with selections from my personal mid-year list if you’re just looking for stuff to listen to! There’s an extra track because I fell in love with a record between the time I finished my list and this feature being posted lol, but otherwise it’s true to the order.

slickdtc, JRGComedy and ncarrab like this.
  12. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

This link doesn't work, and I did a search and didn't find too much but a lot appears to be removed. There was some stuff in the new album thread about a member (Chase Barham) who was removed from the band after allegations arose. I can't find anything about what the allegations were and how quick he was removed/statements etc. Can someone fill me in? i really dig this album and am now curious about what I'm not aware of/supporting. They were also on my lists of bands to see now that shows are back.

artbynickferran likes this.
  13. Try searching the "Accountability" thread in the music forum.

artbynickferran likes this.
  14. The main one does have a Playlist, did you mean each album itself in the list or the staff lists?

Looking for an easy way to check out all of the albums in our top thirty? We’ve got a playlist for that. You’ll find one on Apple Music and one on Spotify with one great song from each great album.

Mattww and slickdtc like this.
  15. foomanfat

Regular

Seeing two Weezer albums above ULTRAPOP on that combined 30 list is... something.

thechetearly likes this.
  16. Crowded House are royalty in Australia and New Zealand - check out their classic album, Woodface when you can!

That Shame record has stuck with me all year. Something about it keeps pulling me back, and it’s a massive step up from their debut.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  17. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

goddamnit I’m a stupid idiot. I totally missed the playlist paragraph, but yeah, I actually did mean a song link (YouTube/Spotify/Apple) underneath each album mentioned by all staff.

There are a lot of lists and therefore a lot of bands/artists I’ve never heard. It’d be cool if each numbered album had a top song link or something. No big deal, but would just be kind of a one stop shop to hear it all instead of manually searching after reading everyone’s lists.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. lava890

Regular Supporter

I agree, I somehow missed them until now and I’ve already listened to the album twice today.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Jason Tate Jul 6, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 6, 2021)
    Yeah, I should have done that. Sorry. I really need to make a way to do it faster, I got lazy and didn't wanna create 30 individual links, heh.

Actually, I can do it programmatically ... this should work:

Manchester Orchestra - The Million Masks Of God • chorus.fm
    Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR • chorus.fm
    Origami Angel - Gami Gang • chorus.fm
    Hayley Williams - FLOWERS for VASES / descansos • chorus.fm
    Julien Baker - Little Oblivions • chorus.fm
    Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee • chorus.fm
    Foo Fighters - Medicine At Midnight • chorus.fm
    Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend • chorus.fm
    The Night Game - Dog Years • chorus.fm
    Citizen - Life In Your Glass World • chorus.fm
    Wild Pink - A Billion Little Lights • chorus.fm
    Lucy Dacus - Home Video • chorus.fm
    Weezer - Van Weezer • chorus.fm
    Modest Mouse - The Golden Casket • chorus.fm
    The Sonder Bombs - Clothbound • chorus.fm
    Taylor Swift - Fearless (Taylor's Version) • chorus.fm
    Rise Against - Nowhere Generation • chorus.fm
    Weezer - OK Human • chorus.fm
    Middle Kids - Today We’re The Greatest • chorus.fm
    Twenty One Pilots - Scaled And Icy • chorus.fm
    The Dirty Nil - Fuck Art • chorus.fm
    KennyHoopla, Travis Barker - SURVIVORS GUILT: THE MIXTAPE// • chorus.fm
    Tyler, The Creator - CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST • chorus.fm
    Eric Church - Heart • chorus.fm
    Thomas Rhett - Country Again (Side A) • chorus.fm
    The Weather Station - Ignorance • chorus.fm
    Fiddlehead - Between the Richness • chorus.fm
    Electric Century - Electric Century • chorus.fm
    Kali Masi - [laughs] • chorus.fm

BEsterley and ncarrab like this.
  20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Happy to make a playlist with my favorite songs from the albums I picked, if anyone wants that.

21. theredline Jul 6, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 7, 2021)
    theredline

Trusted Supporter

I feel so out of touch reading these lists….!

Here’s my few favorites so far:

‘68 - Give One Take One
    tuneyards - sketchy
    Justin Courtney Pierre- An Anthropologist On Mars
    St. Vincent - Dady’s Home
    Five Iron Frenzy - Until This Shakes Apart
    Nofx - Single Album
    Koo Koo Kanga Roo - Slow Clap

BEsterley likes this.
  22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I would be interested

Craig Manning likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I’ll put something together tomorrow!

24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Curious what grabbed you about the tuneyards album! I've tried and failed to enjoy everything since Nikki Nack, but I'd be happy to be swayed!

theredline likes this.
  25. I know you’ve both got a lot on your hands with that behemoth record, but definitely check out their debut, Somewhere City, when you get a chance! Thing’s a masterpiece.