Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 569

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Stone and Modern Times both selling feels pretty huge and very much indicative of where we're currently at

bigmike likes this.
  2. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I feel the bigger places that expanded like crazy the last 10 or so years are gonna really be struggling now, but I think the smaller, local "neighborhood" joints will still be able to hang on and succeed. At least the decent to good ones, the ones that were skating by on just being able to make beer probably won't last

irthesteve likes this.
  3. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

IMO, the local ones that survive are either woven so tightly into the fabric of the community the customers won't let it die or the ones with the least amount of debt after the last 2.5 years. My first job in beer, that small 7bbl brewhouse is insulated from everything because they were funded by the dad entirely and have been profitable from the jump because they didn't have bank loans. He makes some absolutely incredibly mediocre beer.

kelseyleigh and Cameron like this.
  4. irthesteve

It's blue

PXL_20220703_060501143.jpg

kelseyleigh and bigmike like this.
  5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The NJ brewery rules are the craziest thing in the world. Check the Hazebois story on ig

6. Delicious

imgly_7373759676543033988.jpg

SAB22, Matt and ncarrab like this.
  7. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

actually wtf. just read through them…

OhTheWater likes this.
  8. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

So I don’t see it being talked about but Brewery X pulled out of their Modern Times deal. It goes to Maui Brewing who is also concerned about some of the MT stuff.

9. irthesteve

I've been keeping up with it elsewhere, but good lord I am so much happier with this turnout, I wish the best things for Maui/MT

10. bobby_runs

Yeah the brewery X model seemed like what caused MT to be in this position.

11. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Any San Diego recs? Gonna be there through Thursday. Have heard north park is good, interested in Alesmith, but know nothing else (rip toronado).

12. irthesteve

what area are you near? I know areas of SD pretty well

13. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Pure Project

bobby_runs, jciswhatis and Surfwax like this.
  14. Surfwax

mission bay, def not opposed to an Uber or two and also may rent a car on Tuesday

15. djwildefire

Trusted

I second Pure Project. Great across all styles, their barrel-aged sours are underrated, but they’re known primarily for their hoppy beers and adjuncted imperial stouts.

jciswhatis and Surfwax like this.
  16. irthesteve

you aren't too far from Stone Liberty Station which is the coolest place to visit, and lots of other things to see in the station itself (a former military base). Ballast Point and Mikkeller in Little Italy are nice to visit. Balli Hai isn't beer, but a tiki bar with a hell of a view, highly recommended and it's right next to Eppig which is a fun little brewery also with a really nice view.

Surfwax likes this.
  17. djwildefire

Trusted

I’ve heard good things about Eppig as well, but haven’t tried any of their beers myself

18. irthesteve

chewbacca110, kelseyleigh and Brent like this.
  19. djwildefire

Trusted

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Definitely check out Stone as well

21. bobby_runs

Ketch is a nice spot too and isn’t too far away from Bali Hai.

22. Surfwax

Appreciate the recs. Went to Blind Lady Ale House and Lost Abbey today, both awesome but especially enjoyed the former as a first stop on the trip. Eppig/Bali/Ketch looks like it might be one of our next afternoons and I will def keep the Stone and Pure Project recs in mind. Not a truly beer focused trip but definitely imagine we'll hit a few places, our plans don't really go beyond beaching, eating, and drinking this week.

djwildefire and irthesteve like this.
  23. bobby_runs

Even though I like what Pure Project is doing right now a whole lot more than Stone I would go with Stone at Liberty Station if the trip isn’t beer focused. You can grab a few pints and then grab dinner at one of the restaurants there at Liberty Station. Between the open market thing and the actual restaurants you’re bound to find something good.

Cameron likes this.
  24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah that’s exactly why I recommend Stone. That location is so cool

25. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Some trillium cans showed up in town this past week. So that’s cool

OhTheWater likes this.