Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

This sounds really cool. I'll give this a shot

2. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

This sounds awesome! Fat Tire was definitely one of the early craft beer gateways for me.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Totally, I still find it to be one of the best basic or generic beer choices. I'd never say no to Fat Tire and it's always at least enjoyable

4. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Definitely, I put it up there with Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Steam, etc. Not really go-to's for me anymore, but if they're offered I would never turn them down.

5. irthesteve

Yeah those are all pretty good, Anchor Steam my fav of them definitely. Anchor is a pretty great brewery overall, I've had a lot from them that I love. I always look forward to their yearly Christmas ale

stnewton likes this.
  6. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

I'm not the biggest fan of Fat Tire, but that definitely looks interesting.

I'm really looking forward to Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Variety Pack:
    Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 1.46.49 PM.png

Sweet Sunny South Table Beer - The south holds strong to its traditional flavors- tea, honey-sweet peaches and corn grits- so we looked at those culinary cues for this southern inspired table beer. With a golden grainy malt body and complex tangy finish from the fruit, tea and herbs, Sweet Sunny South is perfect for sultry summer sipping.

Moxee-Moron - The city of Moxee, WA, is in the heart of the Yakima Valley hop growing region and this Imperial Session IPA—a style contradiction—honors thePacific Northwest’s hop-bomb heritage. Moxee-Moron features hops in the mash, the kettle, the Hop Torpedo, and the fermenter for ultra-complex hop aromas and flavors in an ironically named package.

Family Values - Family Values showcases the cooperation and kinship of Midwestern brewers. It features largely Midwestern-grown ingredients: Minnesota wild rice, Indiana honey, Missouri oats, and cocoa nibs from Illinois as well as Sierra Nevada’s estate-grown malt. This is our centrally located collaboration celebrating the best of the Midwest.

West Latitude - West Latitude combines our Californian Left Coast love of fruity hops with a touch of Hawaiian “aloha” from the addition of hibiscus flowers, all anchored by robust malts and spicy rye. This session beer is light in body but looms large, like the long shadows of a westward setting sun.

Pat-Rye-Ot - Pat-Rye-Ot is an “old-meets-new” take on a pale ale by brewers all located in the original 13 colonies. It features rye and apples, which were among the first ingredients used by American brewers in the colonies, alongside bold American hops—hallmarks of our modern craft beer “revolution”

Stout Of The Union - This stout hails from the land of sun, sand, and surf and proves that beach beer doesn’t have to be light colored and delicate. Stout of the Union is rich, toasty and full of deep malt flavor, creating a union of like-minded brewers together through beer.

7. irthesteve

So this Beer Camp is slightly different from the last one? This seems like all the breweries worked together to make ALL these? Or am I reading it wrong?

8. Snewt

Yeah it looks like they worked with a lot more breweries this time, even some smaller ones. Each beer is a collaboration between 6 different breweries, based on region (including Sierra-Nevada).

9. I had a Sam Adams Rebel IPA at Buffalo WIld WIngs recently and it was really, really good. Going out to Molly Brannigan's for trivia tonight and they have a 32 oz. Killian's special for $4 haha.

10. alert=danger

Eat The City. Eat It Whole. Prestigious

Mikkeller did a beer with Mastodon called Mother Puncher, and it's delicious.
    [​IMG]

KidLightning likes this.
  11. irthesteve

I want to drink more Mikeller, I think I've only had one and it was great. If anyone hasn't read the article about Mikeller & Evil Twin, it's fascinating. I can try and find it

12. irthesteve

stnewton, Jason Tate and alert=danger like this.
  13. alert=danger

Eat The City. Eat It Whole. Prestigious

I think Mikkeller may by favourite "brewery". Their beers are consistently great.

14. This is very awesome.

15. I'm heading to Austin next week. What Texas/southern beers should I look out for? I like ales, stouts, porters, and cider. I'm not into most IPAs. Hit me with your best recs.

16. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Mmm, beer. I hated it for so long, but really started enjoying them about two years back.

One of my all-time favorites is Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA.
    Saw Night Shift Brewery mentioned earlier, good stuff! Was there on Sunday, tried the Cape Cod Weiss; first sour beer I really enjoyed. Need to try more.
    Also tried Solid Senter Ale by Troegs over the weekend- pretty decent.
    Big fan of most Maine Beer Company stuff. Went to one of the Dinner releases last year. So worth it.

17. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Shiner Bock.

18. muttley Mar 10, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 10, 2016)
    muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I think wheat beers might be my thing. They're consistently the only beers that I don't get sick of. What might be the next step from those?

edit: to clarify, what's the difference between hefeweizen and wheat beer? Are hefeweizens just wheat beers? I liked these two when I had them.

19. Snewt

I'd recommend:
    • Belgian: Dubbel, Tripel or Quad
    • Saison
    • Sours: Gose, Berliner Weisse

20. irthesteve

I don't really know any technical differences of any beer, what makes a stout vs a porter, wheat beer vs hef, etc, just how they taste. So I don't think I'm much help here hah

muttley likes this.
  21. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I need to try more sours. Had one this weekend I finally liked- need to find more!

22. irthesteve

Sours and goses are super underrated in the beer world, but boy are they getting popular. Swear to god sours are gonna be the next IPAs in terms of popularity growth and widespread existence

23. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

What are some good sours that I could maybe find in my local grocery store? In Wisconsin.

24. Snewt