Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 300

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Woah woah woah woah woah. Hill Farmstead at #9 and below Sierra Nevada?

lmao ok this is a joke list

2. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t know, how do you balance availability with quality among multiple styles. I have a lot of problems putting breweries that basically specialize in NEIPA’s (this where people tell me tree houses’ non-hoppy offerings are very good which I do believe) up there for “best breweries in America.” They’re too specialized to one style, imo.

Joe4th likes this.
  3. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I think Treehouse is the only one of the “NEIPA” breweries that deserves the top rankings. I feel like their beers, specifically, changed the culture more than any brewery I’ve seen, and in a very short time. All with no distribution. The other breweries make fantastic beers but they seem like a tier above everyone. And their non-IPA’s are great as well.

Was surprised to see Hill Farmstead so low and Firestone at the top though

bigmike likes this.
  4. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Hill Farmstead not being #1 honestly invalidates the entire list. So do a bunch of other choices, but that's the most egregious.

Anthony_ likes this.
  5. Anthony_

Treehouse’s stouts are seriously incredible. The fact that they don’t get more notoriety for them is a crime.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  6. Anthony_

E17031A2-B922-43AE-BF77-C9E3DE158808.jpeg

In the glass tonight: Tired Hands Only Void 2019 with coffee

sean_rugy and Oddpac87 like this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

365FE518-856A-4534-A25F-DAD002AF6DF1.jpeg
    Russian River in the house tonight

Anthony Brooks, bigmike and momo32t like this.
  8. momo32t

Trusted

You really have to take the list for what its worth. It's some regional pandering to some popular brands. Great Notion, Other Half and Grimm being on the list is fine, but you can't really give any weight to the order.

I'm just glad Suarez was spared from the publicity. They were mentioned on Thrillist a few weeks back and I got concerned.

Anthony_ likes this.
  9. momo32t

Trusted

Also that Grimm x Jester King collab this weekend :explode:

Oddpac87, sean_rugy and Anthony_ like this.
  10. Anthony_

Yeah lol I got it when literally every other entry had some variation of the phrase "While we haven't had the opportunity to try many of their beers..." Like why even make this list then? Or pick three styles of beer and try them from each place and rank them that way? I just don't get it.

But even still, even understanding that regional bias, putting Sierra Nevada in the top ten, and Firestone at #1, far above places like Great Notion, Other Half, and Grimm, and even above Hill goddamn Farmstead, is inexcusable. That's just facially ridiculous.

11. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

I'm a Grimm stan through and through, got a great beanie there the other day lol. hopefully getting down to OH tonight to pick some stuff up for the weekend.

Anthony_ and momo32t like this.
  12. momo32t

Trusted

Those lists will always leave people mad. I guess putting Sierra Nevada there is a nod to tradition? They've been doing it far longer than a lot of places on the list.

For mass appeal, Firestone does deserve some praise, but not number 1. It was the one brewery AB InBev tried and failed to acquire.

Look, for people like you and me, or anyone else in this thread, knows about Hill Farmstead and how wonderful it is. You have to take the good with the bad. Maine Beer Co. being there is validating, but Firestone being number one is questionable.

Anthony_ likes this.
  13. momo32t

Trusted

I want the new dad hat they dropped so badly. I unfortunately haven't been to OH in a while. Need to drink all of the Suarez I still have and the Treehouse stuff I got from a friend to clear out the fridge.

14. momo32t

Trusted

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I always try to save a special bottle or two to drink at Thanksgiving. Would be curious to see what people have in mind.

There is also some strategy to it. Something hoppy with appetizers, and then leave the IPAs alone. In my opinion doesn't pair as well with turkey. I will usually switch to something a little more tart to cut through all the richness of the dinner. And for dessert? If I am not on my ass I will switch to something barrel aged.

I will be happy to share once I decide what to bring to my parent's house.

Anthony_ likes this.
  15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Definitely gonna get a nice 22oz or a BCS for Thanksgiving. Though we’re not allowed to “sell” BCS til Black Friday. We can still have them in stores

momo32t likes this.
  16. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Saisons or farmhouse ales for all holiday dinners. Occasionally a dubbel or tripel with Thanksgiving as they tend to pair well but usually I find them to be a little too filling. Something light and refreshing during apps like White or a berliner/gose. And then a big stout to end the night when sitting down to relax if I'm still up for it and not asleep

sean_rugy, momo32t and Cameron like this.
  17. Anthony_

Honestly I more often than not have wine with holiday meals because I'm really the only one in my family that's into the craft beer scene. So I'll be having wine haha

18. momo32t

Trusted

I'm the only beer drinker in my family. But that's also in part that I've never gotten into wine, despite trying.

19. Anthony_

I used to not be a wine fan, and then I went to Argentina back in college on a school trip. Drinking malbec down there converted me and now I enjoy wine a lot. Malbec is still my favorite though.

momo32t likes this.
  20. sean_rugy

omg

Fronnyfron and Anthony Brooks like this.
  21. momo32t

Trusted

Well crap. Grimm will be a madhouse this weekend.

sean_rugy and Anthony_ like this.
  22. Anthony_

sean_rugy likes this.
  23. momo32t

Trusted

Was also tempted by this. Could also be crazy lines. Never been to the Well, but I've heard good things.

Anthony_ and sean_rugy like this.
  24. sean_rugy

@momo32t you and me on the exact same page. plan on going to that HVB release and then sprinting to Grimm for both of these. the handing out of wristbands should help the line.

momo32t and Anthony_ like this.
  25. Anthony_

Of all the weeks for me to truly not have any money to spend on beer, man. DAMMIT.

momo32t and Mr. Serotonin like this.