Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 249

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Hey @Oddpac87 my buddy is moving to Colorado to brew and he said his plan is two years then open a brewery. So, ya got two years.

Oddpac87 and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  2. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I’m just gonna say that CO is saturated with breweries but NH is in need of some good ones...

waking season likes this.
  3. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t need my own place, just hire me. Though I’ve been unemployed for 2 weeks and I’m already in panic mode, so not sure I’ll make it two years.

bigmike likes this.
  4. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Oh he’s moving to CO to brew at Oskar blues. He just left his job as a production brewer at Shorts Brewing Co and he’d come back to Michigan to start one, most likely.
    I’d be down for that!

5. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Oh damn, that’s awesome

bigmike likes this.
  6. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

He’s pumped because big brewery but he’s also like “it’s not brewing” just hitting buttons and I feel what he’s saying but also can’t turn that job down. Plus living in Colorado is a win.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  7. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yeah that seems like a pretty sweet gig. I’ve always wondered what the brewers actually have to do at those big breweries since it seems like every aspect is automated haha

bigmike likes this.
  8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yup

bigmike likes this.
  9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Sierra Nevada’s first acquisition Sufferfest. The Pilsner was bad. Though the pale, and kolsch were good. 0701C438-5A45-4940-A3DC-FF3E09A144A1.jpeg

bigmike likes this.
  10. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

When my buddy was at shorts he would show up and finish the mash from the previous guys work then he would transfer that to boil. While that boiled he’d mash in another batch then transfer the first boil over to fermenters then he’d transfer his first full batch to the kettle, empty the mash tun then mash in again. He’d finish the boil and send that to fermenter and then his shift would be over and the 1st shift brewer would come in and do the same. He said it’s factory-like. He never touched the cellar side of the job.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  11. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Man, production brewing sounds very boring

bigmike likes this.
  12. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah he hates it. He actually did a couple of job Shadows at a small brewery just to get more experience on the cellaring side of things.

But if a brewery I get involved with ever happens, you and @Oddpac87 are more than welcome to be apart of it.

13. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Southern Tier having a location in Cleveland is great because I get to drink some Sixpoint and Victory beers fresh af on tap

Joe4th, Oddpac87, ncarrab and 2 others like this.
  14. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Sixpoint jammer is a solid gose and a nice summer crusher

Oddpac87, bigmike and waking season like this.
  15. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Victory Prima Pils is one of my absolute favorites. I’m bummed we don’t really get it up in NH, not as huge on their Monkey beers which we get a lot of.

Oddpac87 and bigmike like this.
  16. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I still like Golden Monkey a lot but I haven’t had it in a long time.

Oddpac87 and waking season like this.
  17. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

You bet your ass I’m holding you to this.

Mostly so we can have weekly recipe pitch meetings and I can suggest different pastry stouts every week.

bigmike and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  18. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I was thinking an all adjunct barleywine or English mild

Oddpac87 and bigmike like this.
  19. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Heading to NYC next weekend for 3 days, any recs?

20. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

FE837D6A-3A72-4965-87FC-444CEB72CD3F.jpeg

Finally got my hands on the new hype juice this weekend

21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Other Half. It’s second only to Hill Farmstesd in terms of all the breweries that I’ve been to.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  23. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Anywhere specific or will you be all over?

Brooklyn is your best bet for everything. Other Half, Grimm, Interboro and Threes are all great breweries. Tørst and Spuyten Duyvil are arguably the two best beer bars in the city.

Queens is coming up quite a bit in breweries. Finback, LIC and SingleCut are all putting out good stuff. Evil Twin and Mikkeller also just opened locations there.

Not a ton in Manhattan in terms of breweries. Blind Tiger and Proletariat are great bars.

MexicanGuitars and bigmike like this.
  24. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

8F60C521-3B10-40AF-AD6A-8FE8CAF95B2E.jpeg

SeaQuench and Sharks vs. Blues. Happy Sunday, friends!

irthesteve and bigmike like this.
  25. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Gonna be based out of Lower Manhattan but definitely will plan to putz around Brooklyn a fair bit.

bigmike and Oddpac87 like this.