Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 224

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I love me some Elvis Juice

bobby_runs likes this.
  2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I put off buying it forever because I HATE grapefruits so my buddy who has been raving about it for weeks actually venmo'd me $10 so I would buy it, haha. I really liked it. Didn't get too much of a grapefruit taste actually.

Ken likes this.
  3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I think it's very nicely balanced. The Grapefruit Sculpin is decent too, but there's a bunch of grapefruit beers out there that I do not like at all.

bobby_runs and chewbacca110 like this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

quick tip, if you don't already, get an account on untappd and keep track of how much you like everything you try.

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yes, I've been tracking on Untappd. I also post a picture on Twitter every night with the hashtag #CbonesBasementBeer

6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

love it! I don't do twitter but I appreciate the hustle

ncarrab likes this.
  7. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Man reading shit like that makes me realize how jaded I am cause seeing a 9% session ale just makes me mad lol

8. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Which is worse reading "9% session ale" or overhearing "it's pronounced 'session'" when someone is misreading 'saison'?

irthesteve likes this.
  9. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Haha I'm all for not sticking with style guidelines but that phrase doesn't even make sense

bigmike likes this.
  10. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

maybe one day! surprised that Barleywine release lasted so long. if it wasn't the middle of the week, I would've tried to get over there. barleywine's definitely not as popular as a hazy ipa or adjunct-filled stout.

11. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Labeling a beer 9% session ale.

One is a conscious choice by someone in the industry. The other could simply be someone that is misinformed. I hear people pronounce gose wrong all the time.

bigmike likes this.
  12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I thought it was pretty funny, to be honest.

13. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

If it had a pun name or something that plays into the joke I’d understand it better, but it just comes off like clunky branding to me.

Joe4th and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  14. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Boston folks: what breweries do you recommend for a day trip in the city? The internet tells me Trillium and Harpoon but I’d love your thoughts.

Brent likes this.
  15. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

The ones above are good options, and I would add Aeronaut to the list in Sommerville. If you want to make the trek and wait in line Treehouse is about an hour away. Harpoon is a cool spot and they have a ton of options but I’m not super huge on the beers themselves.

MexicanGuitars and brigid like this.
  16. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

regarding Troon, based on the posts they make on instagram (as I mentioned, I still haven't been), I think he's joking. based on all the different beer that they've made over there, I'm sure he knows that a 9% beer isn't a session. and the posts that he makes on instagram make it apparent that he doesn't take himself seriously, so I would think it's a joke. but I could be wrong!

bigmike and Anthony_ like this.
  17. Anthony_ Jan 25, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 25, 2019)
    Anthony_

This is correct. In hindsight, though, I can see how people who haven't been following them don't know their sense of humor.

bigmike likes this.
  18. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

very true!

Anthony_ likes this.
  19. brigid Jan 25, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 25, 2019)
    brigid

is this thing on Prestigious

i also find aeronaut to usually be the most inexpensive taproom but i haven't been in a while so i can't confirm. night shift/aeronaut/lamplighter are all close enough to conceivably hit in a day and could be a fun crawl across the north side of the charles!

agreed harpoon is pretty cool. they have some good pretzels, and their tour is free with a tasting session. i've also seen them making more interesting beers lately to try and better compete with the craft beer market i guess - the downside is that it's all the way in the seaport

BlueEyesBrewing and Matt like this.
  20. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Trillium is a quick stop to pick up some cans, and it's pretty close to Harpoon. Harpoon beer is fine but honestly you should go just for the taproom pretzels and the brewery tour where you can sample all the beer you want for a few minutes.

I would recommend Night Shift and Lamplighter as my two favorite breweries in the area to visit.

Treehouse is a bit of a drive unless you are heading that way but the beer is worth the drive/line once you get there.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  21. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

now i am getting sad that I'm no longer in the boston area every weekend like I had been for the past two years. maybe i should finally leave western mass and move out there

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I wanna try Troon. Not too far

Anthony_ likes this.
  23. Anthony_

19E7C25C-35C9-4709-B554-27DDB2C77AEE.jpeg

It was really good.

Dog with a Blog and Joe Deegan like this.
  24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

That’s some awesome packaging

Anthony_ likes this.
  25. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Lol, I can't believe I've been out of the thread a couple days and somehow I miss a bunch of Troon talk.

Troon is amazing. Brick Farm is amazing. And yes, the "session ale" thing is a running joke, they do it all the time. They also called their like 14% barrel aged anniversary stouts session ales.

Anthony_ likes this.