Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 218

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Hoping that the Allagash bartenders get paid a living wage then. When I moved to where I am now, I took a job in a farm market that also has 50 taps of beer and you can drink and shop and because we were paid (minimally) above minimum wage, we weren't "allowed" to take tips. We were supposed to put them into a box mounted to the wall and then they would come and just take them out and it'd be like full grocery bags -- hundreds of dollars worth -- but I was still getting like $9 an hour at most at the time, when if I was making a lower wage and allowed to make tips, I'd probably have been making upwards of $15 an hour.

2. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Always Improving

Ehh, I'm happy for their employees, but I'll reserve my judgement for now. I certainly hope they genuinely reflected on the whole matter and are changed people going forward, but I'm hesitant to believe that people that clearly could have been paying their employees 3x what they were before and were simply choosing not to have the best intentions.

3. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Man I hate that "you hold us accountable. . ." line. Like, hold yourself accountable. Don't wait on bad press to pay people what you should be paying them.

billyboatman likes this.
  4. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, the whole thing is riddled with shitty capitalist PR talk. "Always Improving" as in "forced to stop being awful when publicly shamed on the internet". Love that they felt the need to throw in the line about employees had already felt well compensated under the tip system.

bigmike likes this.
  5. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Trillium beer is over hyped.

bigmike likes this.
  6. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

That's really shitty management, that sucks.

I would hope the bartenders are too, and I would believe they are at a place like that. I read somewhere that they are just brewery employees that pour beers and not specified as bartenders. Not sure if that's true or not.

Trillium makes some great beers but they've also made some real clunkers. With the prevalence of all the breweries around that make great beer I'm ok with not going to them for a while. At least they're making changes but yeah still shitty to so obviously underpay their employees when they didn't have to at all.

bigmike likes this.
  7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Dark Lord Day 2019 is 5/18. I think this is the year I finally go.

8. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I’m drunk At a holiday party please aske me anything

momo32t and irthesteve like this.
  9. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

What are you drunk on?

chewbacca110 likes this.
  10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Went to Revolution Brewery’s Deep Wood Series release party. Picked up a 4-pack of Vanilla Deth, which I had on tap along with Grave Digger Billy (BBA scotch ale), Ryeway To Heaven (BBA rye wine) and variants of all three. Nothing less than 13%, which was just ridiculous.

MexicanGuitars and Joe4th like this.
  11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

All of that sounds so good

12. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Love Revolution. I’m so sad this release isn’t getting Michigan distribution. Vanilla Deth/Ryeway/Gravedigger all sound so amazing.

13. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Going to a holiday party tonight and I’m debating bringing my bottle of BCBS but I also kind of want to hold onto it for a year or two. I’ve only ever had it once before on tap, is it worth cellaring?

14. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Just had 2016 and 2017 last week and they cellar well. IMO I prefer to drink all beers fresh these days but cellaring then (kept properly) won’t hurt them at all.

waking season and Joe4th like this.
  15. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Isn’t aging not as difference in tastes now since they’re flash pasturizing it?

bigmike likes this.
  16. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Not sure what the pasturizing effect is on aging beers, I’ve never looked into that. @Oddpac87 or @BlueEyesBrewing might know.

17. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

A beer is always going to change over time, pasteurized or not. But when talking about stouts, it’s typically just adjuncts dropping off or heat mellowing out. Pasteurization has more of an effect on sour beer in the rare instances that it’s used. Sours will change much more noticeably since there are still bugs and brett in the bottle doing their thing.

waking season, bigmike and Joe4th like this.
  18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm on my third Shiner S'mores ale and buzzy. Should I finish tonight

waking season, bigmike and Joe4th like this.
  19. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Thought so but I know next to nothing about pasturizing beer; not a subject I’ve explored outside of knowing what Goose does with it, now/the benefits and drawbacks of it.

Joe4th and Oddpac87 like this.
  20. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Pretty much what @Oddpac87 said. It might change slightly different then it used to since the yeast isn’t having any effect but that was never a big contributor to the beer in the first place. If it’s one of the variants of BCBS I wouldn’t age that for long because those flavors will be the first to fade.

Joe4th, Oddpac87 and bigmike like this.
  21. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Side note, I’m finally brewing tomorrow for the first time in a few months. Grabbed a packet of the Funk Weapon #2 yeast so excited to try that out and make an IPA with it

Joe4th, Oddpac87 and bigmike like this.
  22. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Been holding off brewing the last couple months because I’m moving this weekend and didn’t want anything in the pipeline. Excited to get back at it.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  23. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I haven’t brewed since I took my sales job nearly two years ago. Can’t wait to be in a place big enough for me to brew in.

waking season likes this.
  24. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Never had Anchor’s Our Special Ale before but this year’s has me feeling good.

bigmike likes this.
  25. MVIMG_20181214_170735.jpg I found this at monks in Philly today and am pumped. Didn't think you could get it outside of Vermont.