Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 217

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

SIPping one right now

get it

waking season likes this.
  2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

For the fires in Nor Cal were distributing the Sierra Nevada Resilience IPA. 100% of the sales go to the relief effort. P cool.

3. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Really cool how many breweries brewed their own iteration

Cameron likes this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

D9 Carnival is intense

5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

DD5E1C19-FA10-4439-849D-5D66646F0E23.jpeg

Having a Tree House Haze. Cheers, friends!

6. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I picked up a D9 beer when I was in North Carolina a couple weeks ago.

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Been in Poland, craft beer scene is actually pretty far along.

8. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Think I came to the conclusion last night that out of the most commercially available IPAs, Founders All Day is probably the smoothest.

9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Cameron likes this.
  10. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

ha, I get it. hell of a beer.

OhTheWater likes this.
  11. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

12. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Had an Elysian IPA the other night. Quite tasty.

Cameron and Collins like this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Make it happen!!!!#

bigmike likes this.
  14. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

We don’t really have the tank space at this time, unfortunately.

15. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

16. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

So, a few things:

1) I absolutely believe that a company making money hand over fist would underpay employees.

2) I would be shocked if growler's were poured from 'high trub' kegs. I believe the owners would run out the kegs of trub to get to the correct beer clarity (aware their hoppy beers are not clear) and if they had been doing this practice, this claim would've come up way sooner.

3) The beer industry MASSIVELY underpays people that work in the industry. I mean, America in general underpays employees, but the jobs within the industry are so coveted that breweries can pick and choose and offer little to no money. I overheard what a job at Perrin -- a member of the Canarchy (Oskar Blues/Cigar City/Perrin company) -- was offering for a sales rep position for all of metro Detroit and it is what I make at a 2-year-old start up. However, they'll pull in someone over qualified for that pay. Yes, it includes a company vehicle plus some sort of insurance/company credit spending limit, but the reps are required to not only be a rep for Perrin but for Oskar Blues (which doesn't sell well in Michigan) and for Cigar City, too. Not to mention that being a rep for a brewery with package and kegs is very time consuming, with at least 6-8 nighttime events a month and it's absurd how little they're offering for such a busy market.

17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

@Swoos @stars143 you guys have NODA Key Lime Cream Ale yet? Fucking legit

18. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Local spot in Abq called The Lizard Tail, has this seasonal Strawberry IPA, 8% I think. You’d probably think it would be sweet and gross, but it’s not. So hoppy, with a slight hint of strawberry. Amazing.

Our Elevated IPA from La Cumbre is so tough and one of my favorites.

Anyone here try any Albuquerque, NM brews? We got some good ones.

Joe4th likes this.
  19. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'm gonna be in ABQ next month!

billyboatman likes this.
  20. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Hell yeah! Hopefully trying some beers! Where do you plan on going, if any?

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I have no idea haha. My friends mother lives there and we are visiting for a few days

22. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Nice, it’s cold as hell here so bring a jacket.

I’d say if you can try La Cumbre, Marble or Bosque. Cheers, also, definitely lock the doors on vehicles when you leave them

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. stars143

Trusted

Nahh - is that only at the brewery or is it distributed locally? I love cream ales.

24. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah only at the brewery

stars143 likes this.
  25. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me at all that they would underpay their employees, especially since they allow tips and have that included as part of their pay. It's shitty, but pretty standard in the food/beverage industry it seems. I went to Allagash this weekend and they have a box set up at the bar with a sign that says they don't except tips, but if you feel inclined to add one you can put it in the box and it gets donated to a local charity. A great way to do things and I'm surprised more breweries don't do this.

I don't believe the growlers being poured from high trub kegs either, as it would've been called out a long time ago by customers. I do believe that they release beers that aren't ready or up to snuff, as was evidence with the Never and Again release. The claim that I find to be most shocking is that they just added straight tequila to one of their beers and told people it was barrel aged. I can't imagine they would be dumb enough to do something so illegal.

This whole thing has kind of soured me on these guys for now but I'm hoping all the publicity will keep them in check and they start treating and paying their employees better.

Oddpac87 likes this.