Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 212

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I also think about the insane prices that whiskey sells for, across the board, and honestly when you spend that much time on a beer it's a similar mindset

2. djwildefire

Trusted

I have a hard time imagining I’d ever buy a beer (even large format) for $100. And both those beers seem overpriced to me for what they are. But if there’s a demand, I suppose it’s smart for them to maximize profit.

3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

2D4AC9DB-1D5D-4F6B-AC17-08EC3E067B38.jpeg

4. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

But whiskey has two things that differentiates it from beer: one the length of aging and two, on a per-drink basis, whiskey of like, $50-80 isn't that bad of a deal, given you're drinking a few ounces at a time. That Anchorage beer is gone as soon as it's opened. The only beer that compares to Whiskey in terms of monetary value is Utopias and even that I'd have a hard time spending the $250 on.

irthesteve likes this.
  5. irthesteve

the per drink basis isn't something I even thought about haha. Seems like a big DUH for me to miss

bigmike likes this.
  6. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I hadn’t either. Was talking with a dude who is super into beer and whiskey and I mentioned the cost as a barrier for me getting into it and he spun it like that and it seems so obvious but I’ve never thought of it that way until recently.

7. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, those prices seem pretty high for a beer but if there's that much demand for them and people willing to pay it then good on the brewery for capitalizing on it.

8. prattsy

Regular

Top beers at the moment:

Collective Arts Ransack the Universe - been my #1 for a year now. My taste progression lead me here as I kept wanting heavier and heavier IPAs

Nicklebrook Wicked Awesome IPA - new to the top 3. Closely connected with the CA Life in the Clouds, but I tend to find myself reaching for this more often

Monday Night Han Brolo - hard to find here in Niagara but grabbed a bunch last time it showed up in my imports section. I believe it's based out of Atlanta (?)

9. broken22

(:

So the Harpoon Dunkin Coffee Porter is actually tasty.

10. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Clown Shoes still makes the most underrated BA beers around.

Oddpac87 and Joe4th like this.
  11. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Traded for some Last Snow today and man is it good.

bigmike and Oddpac87 like this.
  12. Dog with a Blog

An easy go to

7D93F892-4EED-431C-804B-10F51D224A8B.jpeg

13. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Not sure if anyone saw this but Allagash is releasing their base Coolship beer out to their full distribution network.

Oddpac87 likes this.
  14. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Coolship Resurgam is so good.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  15. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Allagash is becoming one of my favorite breweries lately

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

6779E6EA-DB84-4EFC-9ACF-6C1015DD72A4.jpeg
    This sounds a lot better than it tastes.

momo32t and Joe4th like this.
  17. irthesteve

Happy Black Tuesday ya'll!!

I'll be picking up bottles this weekend, but for now.... here's a nice writeup on the beer: The Bruery Black Tuesday, Our Beer of the Week! | OC Weekly

"“This marks the 10th release of Black Tuesday! This year’s ABV is 19.2% with a flavor profile of caramel, dark chocolate, vanilla, and smoldering oak. The batches that went into this year’s BlackTuesday developed in barrels between 13-16 months, which is a bit longer than our previous average of twelve months. This year is drinking well out of the gate, but of course will continue to mellow with time. Also new this year, we blended in a touch of what we refer to as “Farbe BlackTuesday”, which is a version of BlackTuesday that we use to enhance color and roast characteristics. This has certainly made the beer darker, as well as provides a bit of coffee-like roast in the finish.”"

18. momo32t

Trusted

Had Cascade's Cherry Bourbonic Plague last night. Man did that pack a punch at 12.5%, but the sour pie cherries really gave it nice balance. First of Cascade's offerings I have truly enjoyed.

irthesteve likes this.
  19. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Going to a Founders CBS tapping at the Chicago Hopcat location after work. About to be deliciousness in my mouth.

20. irthesteve

Bourbonic Plague is great

momo32t and Joe4th like this.
  21. irthesteve

LET'S GET FUCKED UP

[​IMG]

BlueEyesBrewing, Joe4th and Oddpac87 like this.
  22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Ayyyy one of them is (hopefully) mine!

irthesteve likes this.
  23. irthesteve

the funny thing is that only one of these is for me, ha

Joe4th, Oddpac87 and OhTheWater like this.
  24. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

making a trade for my first Bottle Logic beer (Fundamental Observation). gonna wait to crack it open until my thesis is approved and I'll be awarded my masters degree. very excited for the beer (and extremely excited for the masters!).

25. momo32t

Trusted

Has anyone tried the Planters collab with Noon Whistle Brewing (Mr. IPA-Nut Peanut IPA)? I am definitely curious as to whether it works, but I don't think any distribution is hitting NYC.