Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 211

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Pooch

Regular

Went to Bruges and got to try Westvleteren 12 and the Blonde. It was great and all and a cool experience to check off a major bucket list item, but I didn't get the "omg this is the best beer I've ever tasted" vibe.

2. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Do you think my 2014 Goose Island Bourbon County that I forgot I had will still taste great?

bigmike likes this.
  3. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yes

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Westy 12 is one of the three best beers I’ve ever had.
    If stored properly, yes, it only gets better with time.

6. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Abt 12 and Rochefort 10 are both better than Westy 12. Don't @ me.

7. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve had abt 12 and rochefort 10 back to back. Would love to do a comparison of all three but I left my Westy when I dumped my ex. For me, it’s Westy > rochefort > abt 12. All very close, all top ten beers for me.

Oddpac87 likes this.
  8. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I haven’t had Westy or Abt but I love Rochefort. Should make the trip down to MA to get some soon.

9. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

My cousin brought me back a couple Westy's from Belgium a while ago and made me do a blind test against Abt 12 and I picked Abt 12. I then did the same with a couple friends of mine and included Rochefort 10 and Three Philosophers as well and Rochefort 10 was the unanimous winner.

bigmike likes this.
  10. Anthony Brooks Oct 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 16, 2018)
    Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Did a pumpkin beer tasting with some friends on Friday, and griffin claw is still killing it with their screamin’ pumpkin. Easily was my favorite.

bigmike likes this.
  11. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

That’s awesome. I want to do more blind tastings. The Westy for me I loved so much personally because it was the first real Whale Beer I’d gotten and I hadn’t expected to have it at all.

12. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I used to be obsessed with trying pumpkin beers in the fall but my tastes have changed this year and I really don't have any interest.

Been finally getting into and enjoying IPAs after not being big into them before. Great Rhythm Tropical Haze and Stoneface Fullclip are soo good (both from NH)

My girlfriend cuts the hair of one of the Stoneface owners so he'll randomly give her a free $12 four pack when he comes in which is always great

13. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Stoneface is great, looking forward to this year’s RIS.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

15. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

Yasssssss these just went on sale, shop owners said nobody's bought them yet. Not bad.

16. djwildefire

Trusted

So I went to a free Almanac beer tasting at a local bottle shop a couple days ago, and got to try 4 of their beers including their new canned sour. It was quite good, so I’m definitely gonna be picking up a few four packs once it hits distro. Hoping that putting barrel-aged sours in cans at more reasonable price points will catch on. I’m pretty sure Crooked Stave does that too.

17. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I think part of the reason more breweries don’t can their sours is they would need a completely separate canning line so they don’t accidentally contaminate their clean beers. That and the high carbonation levels might be too much for the can seams to hold.

Joe4th, waking season and bigmike like this.
  18. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I know it probably comes across as a joke, but you also can’t charge as much for a can as you could for a cork and caged beer.

19. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Doing a couple flights tonight, gotta start being more active in this thread. Just got back into untappd, username yakeandrews if anyone wants to add

bigmike likes this.
  20. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Drinking a Whango from Atwater brew co, it is p good

bigmike likes this.
  21. chewbacca110

Forbidden Root in Chicago rocked my socks today. One brewery that’s been completely off my radar until a group of us stumbled upon it today.

22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Here's let's spark up a conversation about breweries selling extremely rare beer for extremely high prices...

Case 1: Anchorage Brewing announces bottle release for A Deal With The Devil triple oaked. The beer is..... barrel aged for 27 months (cognac for 10, woodford reserve double oaked for 12 months, buffalo trace for 5).375 oz bottles are dipped in gold wax and sold for $100 each, max of 2 per customer, only 2 cases made.

A few hours after announcing, they take down all social media posts about it, and it looks like they haven't said a single word anywhere about the fate of the whole thing. Original FB post:

[​IMG]

Case 2: Toppling Goliath is selling KBBS (Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout... which also, how does this not impede on Founder's? Seems like a cheap ploy), also for $100 per bottle, at a special 3-session release day where you only get a CHANCE to buy a bottle? The whole thing seems confusing.

23. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I feel like I'll be disagreed upon, but I think the Anchorage Brewing situation is pretty legit and OK. They spent a shit ton of time on this beer and if they can sell it at that price, it's worth that price. It's basically a collector's item and isn't meant for the masses. The second one seems stranger that you have to pay for essentially a beer festival to even get the chance to buy a bottle, but again.... if the demand is there then I think the worth is what it's worth?

24. chewbacca110

Second one seems to be about the commeraderie.

25. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

They both seem like price gouging but if people are dumb enough to pay it let em.

irthesteve likes this.