Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 208

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I suppose I believe you, I mean Stone made an AMAZING pizza beer, so who am I to say

reid likes this.
  2. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

3. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Oddpac87 likes this.
  4. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Do it! Then move to Chicago and we can get a beer some time.

bigmike likes this.
  5. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I can’t take the step back career-wise, unfortunately. Actually had a talk with my girlfriend last night and we both agreed that Mid Michigan isn’t our first or even fifth choice to live but life opportunity up here is so cheap (owning a business, house, etc).

6. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

My homebrew club is doing a competition with a couple other clubs and the winner is going to get to brew the beer at a local brewery. The one and only rule for the competition is that at least 10% of the grain bill has to come from commercial boxed cereal.

Currently leaning towards doing something with Honeycomb. Either a milkshake IPA (purely so the name can be a land of milk and honey reference) or a nice little tart saison.

bigmike likes this.
  7. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

What about just being boring and using shredded wheat haha

chewbacca110 likes this.
  8. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

I was tempted to just do an American light lager with corn flakes and puffed rice.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  9. noxee

Regular Prestigious

A sour with froot loops or a milk stout with cookie crisp would be fun.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  10. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Brewery in Metro Detroit does a fruit loops IPA called spool toorf or something like that. Fairly certain they used cereal in the mash.

How much do you want the cereal to shine in the recipe?

Joe4th likes this.
  11. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

going to Zwanze day for the first time this year, super excited! going to make a weekend out of it up in Massachusetts.

12. BlueEyesBrewing Sep 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2018)
    BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Which spot are you going to? I'm surprised to see Lord Hobo as a spot and not Trillium like in years past
    Edit: Also, where did you get tickets from?

13. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I’m hoping the veil gets it one day may go then.

Still can’t get over walking out of Monks a few years ago at 2 am to seeing people lining up and sleeping on the street for Zwanze Day.

14. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

Seymour, the Pub in Greenfield, Massachusetts is where I'll be going. They've already sold all their tickets - they're doing it as two separate events so I won't be there for when they tap Zwanze globally, but I'll be going to the 3:30pm session. Tickets were 75 bucks, comes with three Cantillon pours (including Zwanze and I'm guessing these pours will be 12 oz), a glass celebrating the day, and food for two hours.

My friend went to Trillium last year and she absolutely loved it. Tickets were like 15 bucks for that one and it came with a pour of Zwanze and a glass, but you had to pay for all other beers (which included some pretty rare Trillium). They did it in their barrel room. I'm hoping they get it again next year. I was looking online and people were thinking that maybe Trillium didn't want it this year with them opening the restaurant. Also, apparently Lord Hobo has done it in years past. I think Armsby Abbey will also be ticketed but I'm not sure - they haven't posted a lot of information.

I hope they spread it out a little more too. I'm happy that I'm going to be able to go to one, but it's kinda crazy that a state as small as Massachusetts gets three different Zwanze locations. The Veil would be a great spot for it.

And yeah, I've heard Monk's gets insane. Monk's would be the closest for me but I'd rather drive and have a ticketed calm event instead of a wall-to-wall colliding elbows with everyone else.

15. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Nice! I've been trying to find some info on the Armsby spot but can't find anything. I love that place and imagine they would do a pretty great job with the event.

16. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

I asked around on the Tree House group and if I remember correctly, people said that it's ticketed but it still gets pretty busy. Still though, Armsby Abbey is such an awesome spot and the draft list for the event will probably be crazy. I know they just recently had Julius and Very Green on tap - first time that Tree House has been on tap in a long time.

17. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Curmudgeon’s Better Half is wonderful

chewbacca110 and Joe4th like this.
  18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Warlock szn

19. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

It’s incredible. First beer in a while from founders ive had that blew me away. I love curmudgeon and better half is unreal.

Joe4th likes this.
  20. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Better Half is the perfect mix of sweet and boozy. Normally beers of this making are too one or the other. Super balanced and it'll get you drunk in no time.

bigmike likes this.
  21. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

Trillium announced today that they're going to open a fourth location in Connecticut called Trillium Farm and Brewery. they're also still in the process of opening up their restaurant in Fort Point too. they must be printing money over there.

22. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

The farm was the original concept for Trillium, happy to see they're finally doing it.

23. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

They also have their spot on the Greenway in the summers too that is just packed. They must be making insane amounts of money. Tree House too, I saw they're already planning an expansion on their new taproom after less than a year of being open

24. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

they said they're hoping to brew "farm-grown" beers which sounds awesome and like a beautiful vision. especially with their fated farmer series.

edit: "estate-grown" beers.

yeah, Tree House is just printing money over there. I did the calculations with some friends and we were just in shock. obviously they had to borrow a lot of money to build that whole facility, but I'm sure they're paying that back quickly.

also, cause you mentioned you were interested in Zwanze Day at Armsby Abbey, they just posted this link: Zwanze Day 2018

Tickets are 70 dollars and include food, a glass, and a six oz pour of Zwanze!

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  25. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I just saw that. Unfortunately I didn't realize our friends' daughter's 1st birthday is that day so I can't go