Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 206

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Fun fact: I’ve had over half of the beers that Tired Hands has ever made. Which doesn’t seem crazy at first until you realize Tired Hands has brewed over 700 beers.

irthesteve, bigmike and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

dude...I don't know if you know this but that's over 350 beers.

3. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

bigmike and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  4. Mr. Serotonin

bigmike and Oddpac87 like this.
  5. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

bigmike and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  6. Mr. Serotonin

Inertia is a property of matter

Oddpac87 likes this.
  7. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

8. Mr. Serotonin

If you round up, yeah. Almost 2,000 which is a ton, in pounds.

bigmike and Oddpac87 like this.
  9. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Even more when you consider how much one beer actually weighs

Oddpac87 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I've checked in to 283 unique Bruery beers, so yeah... I get it :-p

Oddpac87 likes this.
  11. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Hey @Oddpac87 did you have any success harvesting the dregs from your Hill Farmstead bottles? I'm headed there this week and looking to possibly do the same

12. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

I've stepped them up a couple times, but I'm not convinced it's just beer yeast. Doesn't smell/taste bad or anything, just a bit different. I'll probably toss it into a batch at some point for the hell of it and see what I get out of it though.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  13. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Spent way too much money on beer this weekend in Chicago:

Firestone Walker Parabola
    Firestone Walker Stickee Monkee
    Pipeworks S'more Money S'more Problems
    Pipeworks Ninja vs. Unicorn
    Hop Butcher Blazed Orange Milkshake
    Half Acre Vallejo
    Half Acre Double Daisy Cutter
    Half Acre Deep Space
    Maplewood Son of Juice

14. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Double Daisy Cutter is what ya need

Joe4th likes this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I liked last years cans better!

16. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

@bigmike @BlueEyesBrewing Either of you used Kveik yet? It sounds too good to be true, but I keep seeing nothing but rave review after rave review of it online, so finally grabbing some to try out. Picked up the Omega Hornindal strain.

bigmike likes this.
  17. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Not yet. I've read up on it a bunch and have been wanting to use it just haven't gotten around to buying any yet. It does sound like a miracle yeast though haha

bigmike likes this.
  18. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

The starter they make in this video is at like full blown fermentation after 2 hours. This stuff is crazy.

19. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Haha yeah, that's insane. I also like that you can just crop some of the krasusen and dry it out and then you're good to go for next time

20. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, some of the old school brewing practices that these Norwegian farmhouses are using are really cool.

21. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

YO! Our brewer just went to the upper peninsula and did the other half of a two beer collab with Cognition Brewing and we did a Sahti-IPA hybrid with kviek yeast. He says it’ll be done fermenting in like 2-3 days max. I’ll let you know how it tastes, as I will have it in September.

Oddpac87 likes this.
  22. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

0FEB107B-2ED3-4D75-866E-DAE5F91A2BCA.jpeg
    218DB80F-6361-4A58-A22A-F13D2BA6DE19.jpeg 884CD420-B5AC-43E1-BF64-DDC974D6C951.jpeg C17974CC-502C-43D4-86B1-E5190C59C111.jpeg

So they went legit. The dude by the log foraged all of the juniper from fields around his home in the UP we used. Then they have this log they hollowed out called a Kuurna and they ran the wort from the mash tun into the log then caught it in the sight grant then transferred it to the kettle. Used juniper in the mash and the boil and in the kuurna. Kviek yeast and then over hopped with nobles to give it an old world IPA feel in a Norwegian style. I’m fucking pumped.

Two weeks ago cognition drove down here and we brewed an imperial saison steeped with Yarrow that cognition guys that they foraged from the UP. It got plum purée and it’s going to go into Cabernet barrels. Saison actually finished fermenting in 3 days with normal saison yeast (though was a re-pitch from about a month ago).

reid, noxee, Anthony Brooks and 3 others like this.
  23. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

That's ridiculously awesome.

bigmike likes this.
  24. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I wish I could’ve gone but I had an event. But we have a beer fest up in the UP in September so I’ll get to hang and drink the beer. But yeah, one of the coolest moments I’ve had has been helping organize this collab with our brewer and our owners just kind of backed off and let us have free reign on what we were doing. Really rejuvenated me with the industry.

25. Both of those collabs sound incredible. Can't wait to hear how they turned out

bigmike likes this.