Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 203

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Lol sounds like a perfect kzoo day. Also how I spent like ages 20-25. Used to take a mini keg of Oberon to house parties as my drink for the night.

Heard good things about mousetrap.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  2. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Mill, food grade storage containers and 210 lbs of grain ordered. No turning back now.

3. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

bigmike likes this.
  4. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

5. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

@Oddpac87 Looking into it a bit more, I have two things:

1) The good brewery in the same city that I referenced, Witch's Hat, has always allowed dogs on their patio (as where I work did as well) and they recently were snitched on and told they are violating health code violations because they serve food. They thought there was a loophole but there isn't. Rumors are this brewery in the photo are who turned them in. So fuck them.

2) THIS BREWERY HAS A GOLD MEDAL WINNING SAISON?! That is blowing my mind. It won gold the last two years at the World Beer Expo about 90 minutes north of me. Huh. What a shit show of a brewery. I really hope the photo was just trolling.

swboyd and Oddpac87 like this.
  6. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Unreal

bigmike likes this.
  7. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

So did you try them?

8. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

No, they're like 45-60 mins from me and the dude apparently was a defiant prick when some people were like "Why would you fill kegs like this?" so I'd rather not support him.

9. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Oddpac87 likes this.
  10. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Can confirm. Was at Mousetrap on Saturday, and it is indeed the tits. The two pours I had (Koi - a rice lager brewed with sake lees - and Ghost Lemons - a wild wit brewed in collab with Allagash) were on point. Off Color never ceases to impress me.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

RE: Chicago

I hit up Maplewood and Hopewell on Saturday night. Maplewood had a sour hazy IPA called Fizzle Drizzle that was goddamn hop candy in a glass. Incredibly drinkable and tasty in the summer heat. Their double chocolate milk stout Paulie Chocolates was also delicious. One of the most chocolatey beer's I've ever had and I loved it. Hopewell didn't have anything interesting to me except their cold brew coffee ale.

swboyd likes this.
  12. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Don’t know if this is a new feature or if I just never noticed it, but Untappd shows you a chart of all your checkins now. Pretty much spot on what I’d expect from mine. I don’t really ever give a 3 or below unless I think the beer has serious flaws, so a nearly perfect bell curve for me between like 3.5 and 5.

6320CA36-D57A-47DD-BEF6-927F99D68B71.png

bigmike likes this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I have a bit more spread but not a ton

Screenshot_20180710-192321.png

Oddpac87 likes this.
  14. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

The Vittles Vaults (big pet food containers) that I got for storing the bulk grains have a warning sticker on the inside of the lid basically telling you not to lock a child inside and I can't stop laughing at it.

15. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

457D35C8-CF0E-4FCF-B79F-A62912595A5D.png

This feature allowed me to see I’m a pretty harsh grader/my scale for rating beers is different than most have.

Oddpac87 likes this.
  16. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

upload_2018-7-11_7-26-35.jpeg

I am the snobbiest of u all apparently because I’ve never given a 5? Hmmm

17. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I don't think I've ever given a 5 either. I'll have to check my phone when I'm on it again. I'm mainly between 3.5 and 4.5 for most of mine

18. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I'm in the same boat.

Attached Files:

19. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

@bigmike and @Oddpac87 this is a pretty cool documentary you'll probably like that some guy in the Milk the Funk group made about spontaneous beers with interviews from a bunch of brewers in Europe.

bigmike and Oddpac87 like this.
  20. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Man, this is fantastic. I'm hesitant to really deep dive into anything while I'm still renting, but I'm planning on buying a house sometime in the next few years and really want to start brewing a few spontaneous batches every winter when I do.

21. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

[​IMG]

Feel free to add me if you want, y'all! I apparently give a lot of beers 4.25's.

22. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, once it starts to cool down I'm planning on placing some jars of wort around my yard, especially under my blueberry bushes, and see what I can capture. I'd love to build a mini coolship vessel at some point too. I just don't have any barrels so I'm not sure what I'd do about that aspect of it.

23. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Mikerphone expanding their facility for all u Chicago cats

swboyd and reid like this.
  24. stars143

Trusted

I went to a Livenation venue last night and they were charging $14.75 for domestic 24 oz beers. Wtf? I could go to a good local brewery and have 3-4 quality brews for that cost. More reason to drink somewhere else before concerts in the future.

swboyd likes this.
  25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i can't remember the last time i bought a drink in a venue. the only time i drink in the venue is when I go to irving plaza in NYC, they usually have a 16oz can of pbr and a shot of whisky for like $12 that i deem worth it. other than that yeah its $12 or more for cans of beer. went to Barclays Center for Springsteen and 4 blue moons cost almost $50

stars143 likes this.