Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 198

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I'm quite stoked because an acquaintance of mine has a cousin who runs a maple farm so we're going to buy some Four Roses barrels and have them fill it with maple syrup then drain it -- the farm has started doing BBA maple syrup -- and then use that for our imperial stout for next February. This is all contingent on how the timing lines up but still, if it happens, it'll be fantastic.

2. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

A couple days ago I was looking at how much 5 gallons of maple syrup costs because I was thinking about doing this on a homebrew scale. I have problems.

bigmike likes this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

WANT

Joe4th, bigmike and OhTheWater like this.
  4. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I'm mostly excited because most maple beers for me fall flat and the ones that pack in a load of maple flavor just taste fake to me. I'm hoping to talk my boss into making a 15 BBL batch of our imp stout next year and do 5 BBL straight up and then the other 5-8 BBL's we'll yield with adjuncts.
    We'll likely bottle some of our imp stout next year, thought don't know if we'll have variants of it (or if they'll be bottled, too). but yeah, I'm excited.

Joe4th and irthesteve like this.
  5. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Buddy of mine and some owners of a restaurant in my hometown just opened a suburban Chicago brewery called Lake Zurich Brewing Company, had one of their flagships today which is a hazy session ale, which I hadn’t actually seen before, and it was pretty good!

swboyd likes this.
  6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Dogfish Head’s Midas Touch is underrated I think

7. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Went back to Tree House this weekend and picked up some Julius, Alter Ego, Haze, Very Green, and Old Man. Old Man is fantastic and Very Green is the smoothest DIPA I’ve ever had.

8. reid

@joemochas

trade buddy of one of my friends sent us the Very Green and King Julius. Almost fully agree about Very Green (it's definitely way up there).

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Downtown Cleveland is getting a Southern Tier Brewery this summer. Pretty excited about it.

bachna84 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  10. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Doing a little dreg harvesting session with my buddy tomorrow and I'm very excited at what we have to drink to get to the dregs.

FullSizeRender.jpg

11. momo32t

Trusted

Got too drunk at Other Half tonight

waking season and Oddpac87 like this.
  12. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

What's the one on the left? I've never had that. Anna is so good. I hope they have some dope bottles when I go there In Two weeks.

13. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Good luck to them. The market here is already saturated enough as it is, but I'll make it a point to seek out their stuff. Do they have a taproom/are they distributing?

14. MexicanGuitars

Ye the taproom will be opening next month. Theyll be doing distro too but I’m not sure to what extent

swboyd likes this.
  15. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Corallet. Foudre saison with the Emptiness culture that was aged on second use cherries from Freedom From The Known. One of my all-time favorites from Tired Hands.

16. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Nice

17. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Those are the only 2 Tired Hands bottles I have that I know for sure have the Emptiness culture, so that's what I'm trying to pull. I think if I'm successful I'm never brewing anything other than saison again in my life, lol.

18. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

The more I think about what I want to do in the industry the more I convince myself I want to get in with a sour brewery to learn the ins and outs and then open a sour/saison focused brewery.

Oddpac87 likes this.
  19. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Anyone got any specific recommendations of taprooms and/or beer bars to check out while in Baltimore? Gonna be there all weekend so it'd be pretty cool to check out somewhere off the beaten path.

20. momo32t

Trusted

Stillwater has a brewpub restaurant called Of Love and Regret. Solid food and the only place you can really buy their beer.

In terms of other breweries, Heavy Seas is a lot of fun. I would also suggest Union Craft and Waverly.

swboyd likes this.
  21. jorbjorb

7 rings

Had some of these on the weekend. Was not dissapointed.

[​IMG]

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Decadent Toasted Marshmellow might have been my favorite

momo32t likes this.
  23. momo32t

Trusted

I knew it was a good beer when my girlfriend, who doesn’t even like IPAs, took multiple sips of mine. Might be the turbinado sugar

OhTheWater likes this.
  24. MexicanGuitars

Mousetrap to me is now what Tired Hands is to you east coast folk

OhTheWater likes this.
  25. broken22

(:

I finally had a Dellerium Tremens for the first time and it was glorious !

bigmike likes this.