Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 186

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Anyone know the story behind the 19 oz cans places are using now?

2. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

It’s another form of packaging that Founders/Stone/Oskar Blues can take up shelf space with. Like macros having multiples of the same packaging just different sizing.

3. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

In my opinion, at least.

4. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I get that part. But like why, 19 oz? Why not nudge yourself with the 16 OZers?

5. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

The breweries I see doing 19.2 oz cans already have 16 and 12 Oz versions.

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Two local northeast Ohio breweries I've been into the last couple weeks:

Sibling Revelry Brewing (Westlake, Ohio)
    Royal Docks Brewing (Canton, Ohio)

7. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I will say the 19oz oscar blues ten fidy BA can is perfect to share between two people

bigmike likes this.
  8. djwildefire

Trusted

Picked up the passion fruit pop! today, excited to try it. Have you had rainbow dome? If so, how much of the apricot comes through? I tried passion dome and I didn’t get that much passion fruit from it.
    Yeah I’ve had the frucht: blueberry which was pretty good. I saw Or Xata today but the price ($11.99 for a 750 mL) seemed a bit high. Which is another reason I haven’t gotten into too much Bruery stuff, their beers are pretty expensive.

Recently tried Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze, which was awesome, and Allagash Curieux, which I surprisingly really liked considering I haven’t liked most of the BBA beers I’ve tried. I think it’s because it was pretty light on the barrel flavor, to my taste at least. I believe that they blend BBA beer with non-BBA beer to make Curieux, so that might be why. If anyone knows any other BBA beers that are light on the bourbon taste, let me know!

I’m sipping on an Anderson Valley framboise rose gose right now, and it’s up there with the G&T as my favorite version from them. Love how reasonably priced their goses are too!

irthesteve, Oddpac87 and bigmike like this.
  9. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

The entire Frucht series is flawless. And in terms of nationally available sours, Anderson Valley goses are probably as good as it gets. I think Westbrook is the best "big name" one, but I still think that's limited to like the east coast.

irthesteve likes this.
  10. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, we don't get Westbrook here in Michigan (or Midwest?). Frucht is very good but The Bruery is still massively overpriced/over hyped for what they distribute in this area. They all just sit on the shelves here, no one buys them.

Also Cigar City's impending distro/roll out in Michigan has fucked up the timing of some more roll out that the brewery I work for was going to do and that was a 'wtf we are in the same industry I never even thought of that' type moment.

11. djwildefire

Trusted

You said you recently got into Belma hops, right? I heard that the new Stone Totalitarian Imperial Russian Stout has Belma hops in it.

bigmike likes this.
  12. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Huh. Trying to picture how that would taste. Interesting.

djwildefire likes this.
  13. momo32t

Trusted

I've had more or less every beer they have put out, including both Rainbow and Passion Dome. The problem with the dome series is that the oak aging always seems to be more present if you try it after its first bottled. I've noticed that by waiting a few months the oak tends to settle down and more of the fruit profile comes forward.

Still, Rainbow Dome is a great spring beer. Enjoy!

djwildefire likes this.
  14. reid

@joemochas

Hunahpu's Day was pretty outstanding. Finally got to try Toppling Goliath's Assassin, and I get why people freak out about it. Definitely next level.

Other highlights:
    Mikerphone's Imperial Smells Like Bean Spirit w/ Cafe Con Leche
    3 Sons' S'Mortal Kombat
    Aslin - Double Orange Starfish
    Creature Comforts - Athena Paradiso w/ Tart Cherries, Raspberries, and Cranberries

Underwhelming:
    Fifty Fifty's Apple Brandy Eclipse
    Arkane Aleworks' Yoda Pants (just way too much ginger for my palate)

Other highlights from the last few weeks:
    Cigar City's Life Is Like... (2014 batch) - damn, that held up amazingly.
    Garagiste Meadery - Can't You Hear The Thunder - they don't do anything bad
    Tired Hands - Milkshake IPA (Tangerine Dream)
    Monkish / Other Half - LAX 2 JFK
    Hudson Valley - Mirrorshield Sour IPA

15. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’m liking this Founders Solid Gold but it’s not quite as drinkable as I was expecting.

16. djwildefire

Trusted

Hmm, maybe I'll have to pick up Rainbow Dome then and let it sit for a while. I was attributing it to the dry-hopping being more prominent than the added fruit, wasn't thinking about the oak.

17. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Picked up a bottle of Stoneface’s Russian imperial stout with vanilla and cold brew on my way home from work today. Really fantastic stuff.

18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I know everyone is anxiously awaiting.... but I found a Jai Alai today at Trader Joes for $1.84. I will report back soon, don't worry!!!

bigmike and waking season like this.
  19. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Enjoy! Fresh Jai Alai is one of my favorites.

20. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I cannot be more stoked that they're going to be (have brewed) Jai Alai like 50-60 minutes from my apartment. To get that shit 2 weeks old is going to be glorious this summer.

chewbacca110 and OhTheWater like this.
  21. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Excited to try this tonight. I had no idea it existed.

Attached Files:

22. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

If I ever do open a brewery I’m naming some beers after bands/songs I like in the hopes I get big enough to create a beer with said band(s)

23. momo32t

Trusted

Barrier in New York has had some good luck with that. Already made beers with Thrice and Every Time I Die.

JimmyIymmiJ and bigmike like this.
  24. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

There’s a brewer I’m acquaintances with whose brewery is in a market we are gonna distribute in and he’s and old school hardcore fan and I want to push to collab on a beer and then we can name it something related to, like, black flag or 7Seconds or some shit.

chewbacca110 and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  25. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Gone in 7seconds
    Black Ale Flag
    Hopkick Murphys
    Hop2O
    MadB-ale

JimmyIymmiJ, bigmike and Oddpac87 like this.