Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 180

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. momo32t

Trusted

All depends how long you wait, right? I'm finding that most stuff, if refrigerated from the outset, has a decent shelf life from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Looks like Pliny the Younger was released recently, so pairing that with Focal Banger would seem to not wait too long.

2. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Younger will likely be in Philly this week, so it's not really a wait.

3. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Is Younger worth the hype? I thought Elder was just alright.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  4. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

I think they're both great, but I do think Younger is better than Elder. waited in line for about three hours once for it, not sure if I'd do that again. or if I did, I would make sure I did it at a place that handled it a lot better. but I think the hype will die down as a double IPA and a triple IPA are pretty common nowadays.

on another note, I had my first Hudson Valley sour IPA the other day and it was good, but one of the weirdest beers I've ever tasted.

5. momo32t

Trusted

Hudson Valley is getting a lot of love in NY in its short history. Releases are getting better and better with every cycle.

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Stumbled onto 450 North Brewing Company's IG. Will probably never be able to grab their beer, but love their aesthetic

7. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

When in Kentucky...

[​IMG]

swboyd and momo32t like this.
  8. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I had the Rogue Straight Outta Newport IIPA over the weekend and I have to say.... it's one of the best IPAs I have ever had. Absolutely bursting with hop, pine, and sweet citrus.

Ingredients: Rogue Farms Dare™ Malts; Pilsner, Goldpils Vienna and Dextra Pils Malts; Citra, Mosaic, Hallertau Magnum and Comet Hops; Belgian Candi Sugar; Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water

bigmike likes this.
  9. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

^As great as that sounds, I've been casually boycotting Rogue the last few year ever since I heard about how they've historically treated their workers, both in terms of pay and a general toxic culture, and shitty labor practices. Examples:

nwlaborpress.org | Rogue Ales puts chill on Teamsters Union campaign
    Rogue is hiring and IT manager. Must have no self worth, apparently. • r/Portland
    http://i.imgur.com/cfGFm5j.png
    Why does /r/beer hate Rogue Brewery? • r/OutOfTheLoop
    I Hate the Rogue Brewery!! • r/beer

I'm not sure if the culture has changed over the last few years since a lot of that stuff came out, but this always left a bad taste in my mouth that I've never been able to remedy.

10. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Looks like Terrapin Beer Co. made it's way to Michigan. Any thoughts on them?

nl5011 and bigmike like this.
  11. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I've had the following Terrapin beers:

Lucile, The Walking Dead -- I gave it 3.75
    Hopsecutioner -- 3.75
    Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout -- 4.25
    Vapricot -- 3.25
    Liquid Lunch -- 3.50

Majority of these check ins were from 2016 -- only Lucile was from 8/17 -- so I'm interested to revisit their brand. The fact that nothing blew me away aside from Wake n Bake makes me a bit leery given I've probably only gotten more stringent in how I rate stuff.

Still will order when I see them on tap, though.

nl5011 and Joe4th like this.
  12. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Terrapin is alright imo.
    Generally I gravitate towards their stouts.

Liquid Bliss(Choc PB stout) is kinda of their flagship, but it’s not as good as Sweet Baby Jesus.

Their special stouts that I’ve tried have been great, like the Raspberry Truffle and White Choc Moo-Hoo.

Joe4th likes this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Will this Saturday be the day I finally get to try Pliny the Younger????

probably not

Joe4th likes this.
  14. djwildefire

Trusted

Recently I’ve been impressed by Epic’s NEIPA Citralush (especially considering their relatively wide distribution) and Tart ‘n juicy IPA (not complex, but refreshing and easy to guzzle), Alvarado street’s Tayberry Gose (straight up jam), and Council Broken Wand w/ Boysenberries (also very jammy). And I stumbled upon a bottle of Cantillon Kriek (which was delicious) and 3F oude gueuze (haven’t tried yet, will be the first time I’ve had anything from 3F).

I was unfortunately let down by Tilquin’s Oude Mure. Maybe just an off bottle, but it had almost no carbonation.

bigmike likes this.
  15. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Founder's Solid Gold lager is pretty good, and will definitely be my go-to beer now to have for parties and the like.

djwildefire likes this.
  16. chewbacca110

I need a lager to get me INTO lagers. They all taste like Bud Light/Coors/Miller to me.

17. swboyd

Go to Dovetail and enjoy everything.

18. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Honestly I can't really think of anything that's nationally available. I'd say your best bet is hoping one of your local places makes a good one.

bigmike likes this.
  19. chewbacca110

Been there, done that. German-style beers do nothing for me ie: Dovetail and (most of) Metropolitan's beers,

20. swboyd Feb 28, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 28, 2018)
    swboyd

Then IDK. :(

There are some decent takes on pilsners from our area - Rev Pils, Half Acre Pony Pils, Off Color Tooth and Claw. And I'd put Dovetail above all of those personally. So hefes, bocks, and kolschs are off the table too?

Edit: Other places to check out for lagers in the area - Kinslahger from Oak Park and Baderbrau (their beer is mediocre as sin, but they do make exclusively lagers).

chewbacca110 likes this.
  21. djwildefire

Trusted

Yeah lagers aren’t my go to style either. If you like IPAs you could try an IPL. Or if you like stouts/porters you could try a dark lager like a schwarzbier. Or if you just like sweeter, maltier stuff in general, you could try a doppelbock.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Walked into the beer store today as they were unpacking Lunch. Hype to try it

djwildefire and swboyd like this.
  23. swboyd

Picked up a sixer of Jai Alai during my lunch break. Time to see if this lives up to the hype.

OhTheWater likes this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It does!
    We still didnt get the new artwork

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  25. momo32t

Trusted

Grimm is having a sneak-peek of some barrel-aged golden sours tonight in NYC that won't be released until their taproom (don't hold your breath) opens. Looking forward to see what they've done.

djwildefire likes this.