Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 160

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I prefer Dos Equis over what you had but the whole “don’t put lime in your beer” stuff is overblown. Drink what you like my dude.

2. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

That Pollyanna Orenda Vol 2 that I raved about the other day won bronze in a category at the barrel aged beer fest in Chi this weekend.

I also went the original Pollyanna yesterday, my compete level is on point.

swboyd and bigmike like this.
  3. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Tried a Four Peaks Hop Knot IPA last night. IPAs remain a challenge to get down.

suicidesaints and djwildefire like this.
  4. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Really shitty taquerias in Chicago.

Random weekend beer updates:

-Went to More Brewing out in the suburbs here on Saturday night for my first date night out with my fiance since we became engaged. Their space was great. The food we ordered was excellent (fiance had a cheeseburger that was ground chuck/short rib blend; I had chicken tikka masala. Side note: Why is the best tikka masala I've had in the best year from a brewpub? What has my life become). The beer was decent to excellent. They had a hefweizen, kolsch, porter, red IPA, an east coast style pale, and an east coast style IPA on tap. The east coast style IPA (Strong Hand) was the best of the bunch. I'll definitely be going back there at some point.

-Went to Off Color's new taproom (The Mousetrap) on Sunday with a buddy of mine. Neat space in Lincoln Park here. Off Color's become one of my favorite breweries in the city over the past year. Tried three new beers from them yesterday: 1) The Prisoner's Dilemma was solid; 2) the Wari was a great, unique sour; and 3) the Aqua Predator was a nice hopped-up version of their flagship saison. I'll definitely be heading back there at some point, though I'm not sure when as the place is a bit far out of my way.

MexicanGuitars and bigmike like this.
  5. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Also had friends that went to the new Off Color place this weekend and dug it. They’re prob a top 3 brewery for me as well in the area. Will have to check out More as well as it’s pretty close to me

swboyd likes this.
  6. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

speaking of beers to get a mexican places I always go Tecate. It comes in a 16 oz can and some places you get them for $2

7. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Dos Equis Amber is my go-to at Mexican places. Or just a margarita.

bigmike and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  8. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Same. I do like Tecate too though.

Oddpac87 likes this.
  9. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Well shit, now I just want to make a margarita beer. Simple blonde sour, secondary on blue agave, lime and oranges? Add it to the ever-growing to be brewed list.

bigmike, irthesteve and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

After the discussion the other day, I had a Deep Ellum IPA last night. IPAs are still a little bit of a struggle, but I will say the Deep Ellum IPA went down smoother than ones I'd had before.

11. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Here's a Margarita Gose recipe I've been eyeing to make for a while now.
    Margarita Gose - Home Brew Forums

Oddpac87 likes this.
  12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I love El Gose, and that sounds very similar to it

[​IMG]

Oddpac87 likes this.
  13. Mr. Serotonin

Good on ya for givin' them another shot! I kinda think you were right in that you have to be willing to try many of them before you're used to the hoppier taste. I was the same way when i was younger but absolutely love them now.

Joe4th likes this.
  14. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Oh, I'm not done yet. I'll definitely try more, and different beers too. I've always wanted to explore with beer more, so maybe now's the time.

muttley and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  16. Mr. Serotonin

I personally love Dales Pale Ale which is considered an APA, Rogue Dead Guy, and Bells Two Hearted. Those are pretty widespread now and should be in most grocery stores. Figured I'd rec. those since those were prolly the first 3 i really loved that made me wanna branch out more. Just gotta be careful cause they're all around 7%-8%, so you get a real nice buzz after about 3.

suicidesaints likes this.
  17. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I view IPAs the same way I used to view beer in general; it’s fucking gross at first, but it gets better the more you try it. Exploring different brews helped me find out what I like and don’t like, which in turn resulted in me liking a lot of stuff.

suicidesaints and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  18. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

This is my exact view. Most alcohol doesn't taste great until you kind of develop a taste for it.

19. mattav152 Nov 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 14, 2017)
    mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Haven't posted in here in a hot minute because I cut down on my beer intake for a combo of mental health and dieting reasons but over the weekend I did a Brewery Yoga class at Springdale in Framingham, MA. Its owned by Jack's Abby and is like their experimental off shoot where they do a bunch of different styles that you'd never find at Jack's Abby, most of which are barrel aged. The best part for me was the selection of sours, since I always seem to have a hard time finding places with an actual selection of them but they had at least 6 or 7 different ones. I had one called Poive Raz, a golden sour aged with raspberries and pink peppercorn. Beautiful magenta coloring with a nice balance of tart, sweet, & dry. My girlfriend also had one that was brewed with boysenberries that I also liked a lot. I'd definitely recommend this place for anyone into sours or barrel aged beers in general, or even if you're just looking for an interesting brewery in Mass.

Surfwax and swboyd like this.
  20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

What are some good sours that are fairly easy to find?

21. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Only one I ever really see regularly is Cascade but they're like $30 or more for a bomber where I live so I never buy them

22. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Sounds better than the margarita inspired beer I had from Pipeworks a few years ago that I forgot about until this primed it:

Kwingston's Kitty Cat-ina | Pipeworks Brewing Company

My fiance bought it for me when she took a trip to the liquor store here because "it had a cat with a sombrero on the label! You'll have to like it!" It went down okay, but it wasn't worth the $8 bomber purchase. Might revisit it though if Pipeworks re-releases it though.

For stuff that's distributed pretty widely, the Anderson Valley Goses that are canned are pretty solid. The briney watermelon one is probably my favorite.

Also, for more local stuff (you said you're in the Dallas area, right?):

The art of tart: D-FW brewers push the boundaries on wild and sour beers

Have no idea if any of what is discussed in that article is good, but I'm all about supporting my local brewers.

Also, Jester King makes a bunch of farmhouse sours that are solid to excellent, but I'm not sure what kind of Dallas distro they get (like I mentioned in the Worst Soda thread).

23. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Yea, I am in Dallas. Thanks for the info. I REALLY need to make a trip out to the bigger beer store and see what I can find, particularly Jester King

24. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

Free Will Brewing made a sour called Fifth of May that was a key lime sour made with Himalayan salt and aged in tequila barrels. really enjoyed it, although it was a bit overwhelming.

25. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

Springdale is awesome. I feel like the Tree House popularity explosion and subsequent expansion has dominated the beer conversation around New England but it's hard to believe Springdale hasn't made a bigger splash. The beers are fantastic, the space is huge and fun, and the food is good, too. If they were closer to the city I'd be there all the time.