Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 159

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Flaked oats?

2. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

I'd say go for it, that sounds great. If you're talking like purely BJCP guidelines, I guess it wouldn't technically fit, but neither do NEIPAs under IPA guidelines and that doesn't stop them from being great. I think a thicker body would go much better with the maple character as well.

3. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, a good amount. Possibly lactose too but not real sure on that

That’s kind of what I was thinking. And I don’t really care about not fitting within BJCP guidelines. I only use them as a starting base for how a beer should be really

4. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I'd load up on some flaked oats and mash fairly high. My buddy had an idea that he wanted to a stout series based on the different oatmeal flavors (i.e.: brown sugar/cinnamon, strawberries and cream, etc).

5. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Cellarmaker in SF

6. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Add maltodextrine to your beer to help with mouth feel.

bigmike likes this.
  7. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

can't wait to finally (hopefully) try CBS in December. it's been my most sought after beer for a bit. after that one, I don't think there will be any beers that I'll be actively attempting to get.

also going to Equilibrium in New York tonight and the new Tree House location tomorrow as well as Trillium. first time going to any of these places, pretty stoked.

Joe4th likes this.
  8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

CBS is definitely the beer I’ve been wanting to try since getting into craft beer.

9. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Anyone going to FOBAB in Chicago on Saturday? Got some good friends from Ohio coming in. We went last year and it was a blast.

10. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

My local brewery is opening a second location in the West/Northwest burbs tomorrow for any Chicago/MW folks interested. May hit it up after work.

Edit: And taplist

bigmike likes this.
  11. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

My buddy goes back to Illinois to visit his folks and he raves about Pollyanna.

cubsml34 likes this.
  12. MexicanGuitars

This is so awesome to hear! Their (now) main location is a 5 min drive from my house. It's been extremely awesome to see them grow at such a solid pace compared to other suburban breweries. Hell, it's only been just over 3 years since they opened for the first time.

bigmike likes this.
  13. Joe4th

14. MexicanGuitars

Just got back from the opening of the new Pollyanna taphouse. Place was packed, super stoked on that. Ended up getting a NEIPA take, which was good not great, and a flight of barrel-aged stouts and Belgians which were fantastic as always. Their quad with grape brandy, this year's Orenda Vol 2., is killer.

bigmike likes this.
  15. Joe4th

Officially have two bottles of CBS secured. Holy shit.

16. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Nice! I’m not gonna do the release stuff at founders. Just going to test my luck in retail.

Joe4th likes this.
  17. Joe4th

Yeah, I decided to just go with the release. Gives me an excuse to head to Grand Rapids which is always great haha

bigmike likes this.
  18. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

For sure. If it was like any other month or I wasn’t moving around then I would’ve probably tried for tickets.

Joe4th likes this.
  19. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Currently drinking a Halloween themed India Red Ale called "Hop Zombie Blood" and I think this might be the best thing I've ever tasted.

bigmike likes this.
  20. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Do not push the lime into your beer as fast as they do in the Corona commercials. It will foam over and you will look like a fool.

21. Jake W

If A beer needs lime to taste decent then it's bad

irthesteve likes this.
  22. muttley

Sometimes your only choice is corona or modelo. That’s when you break out the lime.

23. Jake W

I don't think I've ever been in that situation. Currently drinking a Milk Stout called "Dark City" and it's very nice.

24. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

What place serves those two but doesn’t have Dos Equis?

Oddpac87 likes this.
  25. muttley

I've only had Dos Equis once before. Am I the one missing out? I'm sure putting a lime or some salt in it makes it better, too haha.