Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 152

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Dog with a Blog

Not sure if y'all ever had Evil Twin Brewing but right now they have a Twin Peaks inspired line. Not sure where you can get it though, I can only think of one store I know back in the Bay Area that carries Evil Twin. Most of their stuff is pretty good.

OhTheWater likes this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Evil Twin has some really great stuff

3. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I've only had eight Evil Twin beers -- they didn't come to most of Michigan until last year -- and their hoppy beers have been disappointments for me. Their maltier beers have been solid; but nothing has thoroughly wowed me.

4. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I haven't enjoyed any Evil Twin IPAs really. Their stouts on the other hand have been fantastic. The Michigan Maple Jesus was incredible

5. irthesteve

Michigan Maple Jesus is amazing, Even More Jesus is likewise excellent. I've also had Imperial Biscotti Break and Christmas Eve at a New York City Hotel Room, both of which were solid

Joe4th likes this.
  6. djwildefire

Trusted

Evil Twin makes some strange beers. They have a collab with two roads that's a gose with kelp, Icelandic moss, and some other strange ingredients. I actually kind of liked it though. They also have a gose with eucalyptus that was odd in a bad way.

They make a lot of interesting stuff but it usually seems overpriced to me.

7. Dog with a Blog

Just found a place by my house that specializes in mead. I've never had it but I am very interested to try.

8. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I find mead to be a bit to sweet and heavy for me but I also don't like honey much, either. Definitely try it though. There are a lot of good meads being made.

9. Dog with a Blog

I'm not huge on honey either, to be honest. I'm just very curious.

bigmike likes this.
  10. irthesteve

I've had some pretty enjoyable mead

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  11. coffeeslug

I just went to a place by me that serves mead. Really strong!

Yasqueen4 and Bloodsucker II like this.
  12. djwildefire

Trusted

I've tried some "session" meads from B. Nektar that I liked. Only other experience with mead is Ethiopian honey wine which is a bit strong for me.

bigmike and Bloodsucker II like this.
  13. The drier the better for me, meadwise. Definitely a fan, though it's not something I have super often.

14. Dog with a Blog

I'm definitely excited to try it out. They serve a mead flight so when I do eventually go, I'll do that as I have very little to no knowledge when it comes to mead.

bigmike likes this.
  15. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

B Nektar make some good ones, thought the majority of them still sit too sweet for me, or taste like fruit juice. But, it's also a segment of the market I just don't explore much.
    Flights are always the way to go. Just be mindful of the ABV as mead's can sit comfortably in the 14%+ range and not drink like it.

djwildefire and Bloodsucker II like this.
  16. Dog with a Blog

I don't think I mentioned it in this thread, forgive me if it did, but I recently went to a brewery that had about 40 beers on tap, but the main draw was that when you walk in they give you an electronic bracelet, hook it up with your card, and then you go up to the beer you want, hold your bracelet up to the lever, a light will turn green, and then you pour your own beer and are charged per ounce. It was a lot of fun. Though, I'm sure it'd suck if you don't know how poor beer properly, as you are charged for every ounce.

bigmike and djwildefire like this.
  17. irthesteve

I literally did this for the first time on Saturday, haha

bigmike likes this.
  18. Dog with a Blog

Haha nice! How was your experience? And where did you go? I was in El Segundo

bigmike likes this.
  19. irthesteve

Dude.

I was there too, hahaha. Brewport! I had a lot of fun, I liked being able to have tiny samples of stuff I wasn't sure about, and then get full pours of my favorites by the end

bigmike and Bloodsucker II like this.
  20. Dog with a Blog

Yes!!! That's awesome. I was there last week. I was recovering from a hangover that day and went there haha

irthesteve likes this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

I did the same thing. I did a flight and then got a glass of one of their Saisons

irthesteve likes this.
  22. djwildefire

Trusted

Yeah, the ones I've had were definitely sweet, but tbh a lot of the time I like when alcoholic drinks taste like fruit juice. Like I enjoy those Lindeman's fruit-flavored lambics, Founder's Rubaeus, Ommegang Rosetta, etc. I also like ciders.

B. Nektar's session meads are probably overpriced for what they are (8.99 or 9.99 for a 16 oz bottle here in CA), but they're fun to grab for a special occasion. My gf loves Tuco-Style Freakout, which has agave and lime.

23. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

For sure. People I've met who work at B Nektar are all really dope people too. Genuine, nice, willing to help out with anything, which is awesome. I prefer Lindeman's more tart stuff like their cuvee and stuff, but I can get down on their fruit flavored lambics from time to time. If I'm going for a fruited beer that is on the sweeter end, it's easily Rubaeus. I think it's the best of all the sweeter fruit beers out there, IMO. If I'm going for a fruit beer, regardless of sweet or sour, it's gotta be a New Glarus. They're incredible.

reid and djwildefire like this.
  24. djwildefire

Trusted

I actually have a bottle of the cuvee sitting in my fridge right now, excited to try it out, since I haven't really delved into lambics much yet. I love raspberries and Rubaeus nails it. Surprisingly good on nitro too. I want to try New Glarus so bad, seems like their stuff would be right up my alley. I'm sure I will one day. My gf's younger brother is visiting colleges in Chicago, and she's trying to see if a detour into Wisconsin is at all possible to get some.

bigmike likes this.
  25. reid

@joemochas

As for meads - Garagiste in Tampa is absolutely phenomenal. Their raspberry bochet was one of the best things I drank at Hunahpu's Day this past year. Had it again when they finally opened their tasting room, and it was better than I remembered it being.

And whoever it was who mentioned New Glarus' fruit beers - hell fucking yes. My sister-in-law just dropped off 750's of Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart, and Serendipity for me from a business trip up to Wisconsin. So pumped.

djwildefire likes this.