Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beer Thread • Page 138

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Nice! Glad to hear it's good.

2. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

I'm very meh on Lord Hobo as the owner is kind of a loudmouth jackass and the beers I've had have ranged from bad to decent but rarely beyond that. He talked a big game about making a mass produced answer to the VT IPA long before they came out, debuted at ACBF with terrible contract brewed stuff*, and then launched the brewery with self admitted mediocre stuff they were already charging full price for. Their slogan was something like 'it'll wrap you in a juice blanket' but supposedly they had no access to citra, galaxy, mosaic, etc until months after they opened. The stuff I've had recently is fine, but around here there's better stuff that's 90% as readily available and isn't made by someone who proclaimed "if you don't like what I'm doing, go open your own fucking brewery." I'll still go to his bar though, it really is a great place.

*not anti contract brewing in the slightest but this stuff was baaaaaaaaad

3. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Sounds lame as hell.

nl5011 likes this.
  4. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Sounds like a winner, haha. I'm in Florida so I was a little surprised to see it and figured I'd check it out. They had 3 varieties and 1 was pretty good while the other 2 were pretty forgettable.

5. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I hate the name "Lord Hobo" so it would take a fuck ton of Hill Farm-level reviews for me to ever go to a place called that.

cubsml34 and OhTheWater like this.
  6. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Came on here to write about a "ginned pilsner" I was drinking (juniper + orange peel) and how much I hated it and was considering pouring out, but when I reached out to my keyboard I knocked the beer over and while I caught it before it made a huge mess, it started foaming out the top and I had to put it to my mouth and ended up being forced to drink way more of it than I ever would have wanted.

but now I'm drinking a Notch Left of the Dial, which is probably the most enjoyable session IPA I've had.

7. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Anyone ever hear of Crafty Bastard Brewing in Knoxville? I'm here now and this place is awesome.

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'm so very happy Mikkeller Bar opened her in L.A. Here for my second time today and the beer is fantastic again. Also got Cigar City's Trousseau on tap and wow is it tasty

Joe4th likes this.
  9. djwildefire

Trusted

Trying to decide whether I should buy the Across the World Beer Camp pack...

10. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I'm stoked that they are because I got their most recent NEIPA at two weeks fresh since it was brewed in California. That's been my gripe with them; it's never been fresh for things like their pilsners and hoppy beers (not their fault, obviously) so I've always avoided them. Now I don't have to.

11. morris115

What are everyone's opinions on this trend of beer with wine in it? I am reluctant to try it

12. irthesteve

I've had a ton of beer/wine hybrids and honestly have been a fan of almost all of them. Granted they have been from impressive breweries like The Bruery and Modern Times, so it's not surprising they did it well.

13. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Trend hasn't reached Michigan, I guess. I haven't heard of a beer with wine in it.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  14. irthesteve

[​IMG]

"The “wineification” of beer has been a constant topic of discussion these days, so why not just take a step further and blend the two? We took our Black Tuesday Imperial Stout and fermented it along with late harvest Syrah grapes from the vineyards of Los Olivos, from our good friends at both Fess Parker and Saarloos & Sons. We then aged this wine/beer hybrid in French Oak barrels, waiting for the perfect time to bottle it up. The flavor profile is remarkable. Notes of black cherry, vanilla, cinnamon, oak, aged balsamic, port wine and a sherry-like oxidation from the barrels. This beer is like nothing that you have ever tried before."

[​IMG]

"Confession is a true collaborative effort between the wine and beer world. This variation of our oak-aged sour blonde ale was blended and fermented with Riesling grapes from Fess Parker Winery. The result is remarkable. Not quite beer, not quite wine. Fragrant fruit flavors warm the nose, infiltrated by a slight funk from the wild yeast. The first sip is reminiscent of a dry, white wine, but everything changes upon further examination as the flavors unfold and reveal themselves with each sip."

15. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I haven't had anything like that but I have had Trillium's IPA brewed with Pinot Gris juice and it's delicious.

That Confession beer sounds like something I've been wanting to brew for a while, just don't have the resources right now. I've been wanting to make a Brett IPA that's aged in white wine barrels.

BKO5950505 likes this.
  16. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Hm, quite interesting. The stout sounds good.

17. irthesteve

18. djwildefire

Trusted

Anyone tried the new Brewery Ommegang year-round beer Pale Sour? Just cracked one tonight and it's pretty darn good for being so affordable.

19. morris115

I'll have to give them a try then!

20. devenstonow

Noobie

Any of my New England Chorus-ers going to be at Beer Camp in Maine tomorrow?

I need to keep up with this thread/have been drinking so little lately

21. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Tried the Tree House and Boneyard collabs in this year's Sierra Nevada collab pack. They were solid, about what I expected.

22. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like a jerk for complaining about it sine people pay good money to go to beer fests, but god damn working them is draining.

OhTheWater and Joe4th like this.
  23. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Today I realized I'm really starting to like barleywines

24. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Went to my local's beer fest today and it was decent. They had an assortment of rotating guest taps which was cool. Was also a brewery giving our free samples and they had M-16 and other gun/military logos in their designs and on display which was...interesting...

25. jaimej

Regular Prestigious

What I'm working with these days. >-p

[​IMG]

bigmike likes this.