Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beatles Band • Page 31

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by therookielot, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

the chin straps below their lower lip was too much for me man

ChaseTx and Aregala like this.
  2. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Please Please Me is a top 5 lads album imo

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

wtf

Aregala likes this.
  4. manoverboard365

Trusted

1. Something
    2. In My Life
    3. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    4. Across the Universe
    5. Tomorrow Never Knows

That's just what initially popped in my head, but damn I think that top 5 would change day to day.

Wharf Rat and Aregala like this.
  5. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

unordered top 5 tracks as of 12/3/2021

"Dear Prudence"
    "I'm Looking Through You"
    "A Day in the Life"
    "Please Please Me"
    "Hey Jude"

phaynes12 likes this.
  6. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

if this ever got officially released it would be there too

their best unreleased outtake imho

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i really really love the blues jam improv at the end of episode 2 but i haven’t been able to find a recorded version anywhere

Aregala likes this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I think Yoko's biggest problem here is that she seems SO boring and not-fun. Does she smile even once in the entire doc?? I am all for her and John's love, but lordy she seems like a drag during this time.

I laughed in part 3, she asks a question... I forget exactly what, and Paul replies to her with a joke and smiles. She does not respond to him, stands there deadpan. After a few seconds, Paul changes his demeanor to defeated and answers her question without joke. Felt to me like a summation of Paul & Yoko's relationship, he has no problems with her but obviously doesn't connect with her

9. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

mostly off the cuff whittling down of a fairly solid top 20 to 5

1. She Said She Said
    2. A Day in the Life
    3. Here Comes the Sun
    4. Paperback Writer
    5. Happiness is a Warm Gun

ironically, Paul is my favorite. but it's not really fair to do a top 5 and count 'abbey rd side b' as 1 song now is it.

fire pick with I'm Looking Through You - definitely underrated gem. the whole chorus bit "why tell me why" etc is such a perfect encapsulation of Paul's melodic sense

Aregala and phaynes12 like this.
  10. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Yeah my completely baseless theory is that probably a notable reason John liked her so much was that she didn't really care that he was John Lennon. But she also seems completely apathetic towards everything except John, and yeah just on a personal level I would find it deeply irritating and deeply relatable -- when a friend starts dating someone new and brings them around everywhere, but they just don't even try to vibe with you lol

beachdude and irthesteve like this.
  11. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Tomorrow Never Knows
    I Am the Walrus
    Hey Jude
    Blue Jay Way
    Happiness is a Warm Gun

Only five songs is impossible. There's probably 10 others I like just as much as those

Aregala likes this.
  12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Something like this:

I've Just Seen a Face
    I'm Only Sleeping
    A Day In the Life
    Dear Prudence
    Get Back

cshadows2887 and Aregala like this.
  13. stars143

Trusted

Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand
    Wild Honey Pie
    Honey Don't
    Boys
    Piggies

14. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Interesting lack of SFF so far. I feel like recent years there's been faux internet backlash at calling the 'big ones' (ADITL, Strawberry Fields, etc) the best songs, but I dunno, they kind of are? I've been jumping around the discography all week and A Day in the Life in particular holds up to just about all the effusive praise it's had heaped on it. Even if you strip away the Paul verse, the orchestra part, the dramatic piano chord ending...the verses alone still have to be near the very top of things JL ever wrote.

Aregala likes this.
  15. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

the "Strawberry Fields Forever" / "Penny Lane" double A-side is without hyperbole possibly the greatest pop single ever

beachdude, ChaseTx and Rowan5215 like this.
  16. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

re: @Surfwax 's point about pushing back against the "big ones," I was personally at that point with "Hey Jude" for several years up until the last couple years where it came back for me in a huge way to the point that it's now indisputably one of my favorites again

McCartney has dozens like this but when you get to that euphoric refrain at the end it's hard to not find yourself questioning how one person came up with this (not to erase any contributions Lennon, Harrison, or Starr added to the track but you get what I mean) / how had this melody not already been a song at this point

Song rocks

17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Not in order per se:

Hey Jude
    Revolution
    Let It Be
    Something
    She Came In Through The Bathroom Window / Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End

Seems like a futile exercise to try to just pick a top 5 for these guys... I honestly tried to start jotting down what I thought were their best songs without overthinking it too much, and I had about 20+ songs easily that all felt essential.

beachdude and Aregala like this.
  18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I kinda wanted to do a joke list, like pick 5 Ringo songs, but I didn't want to contribute to Ringo mocking because I love the guy and think he is incredible. Or pick 5 of their songs that people usually crap on, like Rocky Raccoon, Wild Honey Pie, Revolution 9, etc.

I do tend to prefer their later recordings in general, but I realize my list completely misses Rubber Soul and Revolver, which is a crime. I do think In My Life is a Top 5 Beatles songs despite the list I just posted.

beachdude and irthesteve like this.
  19. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I've always liked Rocky Raccoon. Ever since I heard it for the first time when I was like 12 lol.

20. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

People crap on Rocky Raccoon? It's fantastic

21. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

My dad is from England, huge Beatles fan, had a giant Beatles memorabilia collection and his FAVORITE Beatles song was Rocky Raccoon.

beachdude, stars143 and Brother Beck like this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I knocked up a joke list real quick and honestly you can't tell by looking at it. They are too good.

beachdude, ChaseTx and scottlechowicz like this.
  23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge that I see a lot of hate for Rocky Raccoon. I think it is pretty widely regarded as a bottom tier Beatles song.

I just find it to be a pleasant sort of song that seems to always rattle around in my head long after I listen to it.

beachdude and Brother Beck like this.
  24. onionbubs

Regular

they have a handful of songs i dont like but rocky raccoon is not one of them. fun tune
    my top 5 is probably:
    1. it's all too much
    2. tomorrow never knows
    3. and your bird can sing
    4. the inner light
    5. she said she said

ChaseTx and Brother Beck like this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I love Rocky Raccoon. It wouldn't personally make my Top 5 of all time from them, but it's a great song. I just read people crapping on it a lot, like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. (Another song I love.)

I have recently been going back through their catalog and paying attention to who the primary songwriter was, and I realize that I had always let the 'Grandma songs' label lobbed at Paul McCartney color my thinking a bit when considering Beatles songs. I always assumed any song of theirs that rocked out a little bit was Lennon-driven and it's really not accurate at all. Lennon has some great ones to be sure, but so does Paul.

beachdude and scottlechowicz like this.