Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beatles Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by therookielot, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

As far as an underrated Beatles song, I'd say "And Your Bird Can Sing" I just love the driving guitar and full sound the song has

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Also that. There's some Beatles stuff for wherever you are in your life. Which is weird for a band that only really had a 6 -8 year run, but they really ran the gamut of experiences and emotions in that time and had three such very different writers. There's music for when you're feeling content. Experimental and curious. Angry. Horny. Contemplative. Depressed. Political. Smitten. You name it, and they wrote that feeling.

Aregala and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  3. Blaine Ryan

"Here Comes the Sun" (personal favorite; one of my first favorite songs)
    "Don't Let Me Down"
    "A Day in the Life"
    "You Never Give Me Your Money"
    "I Am the Walrus"
    "Helter Skelter"
    "Happiness is a Warm Gun"
    "Get Back"
    "I'm Only Sleeping"
    "Tomorrow Never Knows"

Aregala likes this.
  4. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

Gonna be totally honest I think George as a Beatle gets waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit but Here Comes the Sun is an all-time favorite of mine, too.

edit: George wrote very good songs. But George did not write many Beatles songs and only a handful are top tier Beatles songs. It is deeply upsetting to nerd me when people say George is better than Paul.

5. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Paul was a better Beatle than George but George was a far superior solo artist than Paul. Paul's solo music and Wings stuff is truly mediocre.

6. cshadows2887

Paul has a lot of great solo stuff. Harrison really lost interest in his career after a few albums. He does have easily the best Beatle solo record though.

7. Blaine Ryan

I'm with you, Surfwax. That's a "personal significance" pick through and through.

8. Blaine Ryan

I think Ram is the best post-breakup album, personally.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

George has a great batting average but very few at bats, I think I got that metaphor right

Aregala and cshadows2887 like this.
  10. cshadows2887

I feel like I should declare my religious denomination in this thread:

Let It Be is better Spector-ized.

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  11. Blaine Ryan

It's the only version I listen to.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

George was a great Guitar player. All Things Must Pass is freaking great.

Aregala likes this.
  13. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

dope picks

14. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

basically invented the sound Of Montreal used on Cherry Peel

15. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

- not really interested in hearing the new Sgt Pepper mix
    - not really interested in reading someone write about every Beatles song
    - "Revolution 9" ranks bottom 5 of enjoyable Beatles songs, but top 5 in most important Beatles songs
    - All Things Must Pass is my favorite post-Beatles solo album
    - John Lennon overall released my favorite post-Beatles material
    - Paul's New was an absolutely stunning late career album
    - my favorite under-apprecaited Beatles jams are I Will, Mother Nature's Son, Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey, I'll Follow The Sun, Things We Said Today
    - I didn't include the entirety of Rubber Soul, Revolver or Sgt Pepper in the above list because I can't imagine any of those songs NOT being appreciated to the fullest degree

nl5011 likes this.
  16. Blaine Ryan Jun 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 30, 2017)
    Blaine Ryan

On the Let it Be thing:

I definitely sympathize with the complaints about it, and why Paul in particular feels the way he does. Considering where my tastes tend to gravitate I think that, had I explored their catalog later in life, I might feel differently.

But I didn't even know Naked was a thing until I did a mass exploration of their stuff in high school. So for me it's just kind of a nice curiosity--similar to one of Dylan's Bootleg records. Spector's version is the album. I have zero desire to alter it, even for "Don't Let Me Down" (probably my second favorite Beatles track, but it works just fine on its own for me).

17. the new mix is actually awesome. the drums and bass have really nice punch to them.

18. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I finished the audiobook for Paul McCartney: A Life about a week ago. It was very enjoyable, and I'd recommend it to anyone! It goes through his entire life and career

19. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Yer Blues is one of my favorites by them. Such a low key heavy song in their catalogue.

Love the lyrics:
    "If I ain't dead already, then you know the reason why".

Which I interpret as a riddle and the answer is because he's already dead (inside).

20. Blaine Ryan

I've seen so much discussion of their stuff that I really don't know what counts as "underappreciated," but I think "Blue Jay Way" is a beautiful, haunting song that might be my favorite Harrison track if it wasn't for "Here Comes the Sun."

Aregala and nl5011 like this.
  21. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Love the double entendre of the lyrics
    "Please Don't Be Long"

22. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

"It's All too Much" is one of my favorite toss offs/rarities. It basically wrote the blueprint for Oasis' entire career too lol

cshadows2887 and nl5011 like this.
  23. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

There is nothing mediocre about Band on the Run or Ram. Not all of Paul's post-Beatle work is as good as the Beatles, but there is some great material as well.

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  24. cshadows2887

I've recently had my appreciation for "I'm So Tired" and "Sexy Sadie" grow quite a bit, whereas I thought they were just solid album filler before.

25. Blaine Ryan

You thought "I'm So Tired" was filler?!

Aregala likes this.