Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beatles Band • Page 23

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by therookielot, Nov 17, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I don't personally know any bands I would consider better than them

bd007h and ItsAndrew like this.
  2. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

They're pretty easily the pre-2000s artist I listen to the most. I don’t think it’s a crazy argument at all.

irthesteve likes this.
  3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i certainly like the kinks more. i think the beatles have better albums than the stones but no songs by the beatles affect me quite like tumbling dice or sweet virginia

StreetSpirit likes this.
  4. phaynes12

i also never said it was crazy. i’ve spent the last two weeks in this thread that was mostly dead hyping them up lol. what.

5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I meant crazy here in the most casual way possible, like just in my own head I was confirming “hmm ya I don’t think that’s crazy to say”. Didn’t mean it as an attack at all

Also i do really love Something Else By the Kinks but I still need to dive in further

6. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Is this a new band?

irthesteve likes this.
  7. djwildefire

Trusted

Maybe the most impressive thing about The Beatles to me was their ability to experiment with different genres/sounds (and do it well), yet still always sound recognizably like The Beatles. I’m also not super knowledgeable about the 60s, but the way they were experimenting with different recording methods/production techniques/etc feels way ahead of its time.

irthesteve, riotspray and phaynes12 like this.
  8. I put Zeppelin in the same tier as The Beatles.

riotspray likes this.
  9. phaynes12

a lot of people do

10. 9 times out of 10, I’d rather listen to Led Zeppelin than The Beatles

11. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The Beatles are the greatest. They are correctly rated.

bd007h and djwildefire like this.
  12. phaynes12

i used to think they were overrated. i think they're properly rated now. i also just don't think they're the GOAT or on a tier alone to themselves.

13. irthesteve

I'm listening to this now, it's certainly interesting. And while musically there are a TON of nods to The Beatles and their various eras, vocally you would have to be insane to think this album is the Beatles. Which Beatle did people think the singer sounds like?!?!?

phaynes12 likes this.
  14. irthesteve

holy shit, Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III is the worst song I have heard in a long time

15. phaynes12

lololol

like i said, it isn't a perfect album. it's still better than ... a lot of their solo stuff lol. there are moments that sound like paul - particularly on sub rosa and doctor marvello, but yeah, it's more the instrumental vibe. overall it's closer to supertramp vocally imo.

irthesteve likes this.
  16. cshadows2887

I was going to say "Was this for an abandoned Muppet musical?" but...Muppet vocals were almost always on-pitch.

Kyle Max and irthesteve like this.
  17. irthesteve

it also kinda came out of nowhere, haha. Up until that point the album is mostly plesant and a little wacky, then all of a sudden that one starts and I had to hold back laughter

18. irthesteve

For a late-career Ringo song, this one actually is pretty enjoyable

Cheesy? Definitely. But I dig it.

19. irthesteve

reading about Red Rose Speedway right now and learning that the band originally wanted it to be a double album at 18 tracks instead of the released 9 track album. And then I learned that the 18-track version was eventually released in 2018 as part of the archive collection. Making a note now to check out the whole 18-track version soon, very interesting stuff

cshadows2887 likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

Imagine being a record exec with the absolute stones to tell PAUL MCCARTNEY “Nah I have a better idea for what your record should be”

21. irthesteve

pretty wild for sure. Though I haven't heard the extra tracks, so I can't confirm if they suck, but... let Paul do Paul, ya know!!

22. irthesteve

I'm not sure I ever have given Living In The Material World it's fair due. I think I probably have unfairly compared it to All Things Must Pass, but damn does this album stand alone as a great album.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  23. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I love that album

24. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Don't Let Me Wait too Long is a perfect little tune

25. irthesteve

I went through and listened to the 10 extra tracks that were cut. Two are live versions of songs that were never released in a studio cut. Two are Denny Laine-led songs, one is a Linda-led song which she released later under the pseudonym Suzy and the Red Stripes, one is an instrumental track and one is a cover song. Which leaves only 2 Paul-led original tracks.

So.... Honestly, not entirely sure I can blame the label at this point hah, I think they mostly did the right thing. I think "Night Out" and "Country Dreamer" both deserve to be on the final album, but the rest work as b-sides