Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beatles Band • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by therookielot, Nov 17, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Oh and I'm quite partial to Prince from Prince through Sign O the Times.

2. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Yesterday got me on a Beatles kick.

Revolver on repeat

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

abbey road getting the white album treatment. yes!!!

4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Going to have to listen to Abbey Road today now.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. "+previously unreleased session recordings and demos."

is there still actual unreleased session recordings and demos??? or can we assume that these are actually recordings that are already out there, but just haven't been officially released yet?

6. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

cool cool cool

7. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

bradsonemanband and Rowan5215 like this.
  9. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

so... they had beginnings of plans for another album, McCartney was an egotistical dick, and Harrison ruled? I don't see anything there that exactly upsets my understanding of The Beatles lol

and tbh thank god Abbey Road was their last recorded, talk about going out on a peak

10. irthesteve

The point is that history has shown that Abbey Road was meant to be the last hurrah for the band, ending on that note when it was done. This shows that they actually talked about making a new album after Abbey Road. It's very interesting.

11. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah plus conventional wisdom is that John pushed for the break-up and Paul pushed to stay together.

12. cshadows2887

Really? Cause if you read anything about them, John and George have gone on record that they were shocked when Paul went public with the split.

phaynes12 likes this.
  13. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

The public perception has at times been that the break-up was John's fault and Paul tried to keep them together. It's even right there in the linked article, from the Beatles expert:

"The books have always told us that they knew Abbey Road was their last album and they wanted to go out on an artistic high. But no – they’re discussing the next album. And you think that John is the one who wanted to break them up but, when you hear this, he isn’t. Doesn’t that rewrite pretty much everything we thought we knew?"

14. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

again I think "rewrite pretty much everything we thought we knew about the band" is a massive overstatement and borderline clickbait for this. is it interesting they'd started talking about another album? sure, but no further than that

15. irthesteve

16. PauLo

43% Burnt

So until recently, I would have definitely been one of those annoying shits that said The Beatles were overrated. And in some ways I still do think that a little. But something changed recently. I always viewed bands like The Beatles or Nirvana as influential and I could see what they did for music, but never thought that they were worthy of the adoration they received.

BUT then I listened to Nevermind for the first time in about 20 years and I found myself enjoying myself a lot more than I expected. Which led me to think maybe the likes of The Beatles or Bowie or Dylan are worthy of the adoration they receive. I then had friend round Saturday and she put Drive My Car and The Word on a playlist and I really enjoyed both. Then I listened to Abbey Road and my god, it's great. I've always said Come Together was the only good Beatles song ever, so I figured that album was the best place to start and was pleasantly surprised by the rest of it. Especially I Want You (She's So Heavy). Oooof, that is a jam.

But yeah, since then I've been completely rethinking and re-evaluating everything I thought I thought about music and I don't know what to think haha

17. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

This new Abbey Road mix is so good.

18. irthesteve

@PauLo if you haven't yet, your next step should be the full Sgt Pepper album, then full Revolver and Rubber Soul

beachdude likes this.
  19. PauLo

43% Burnt

Just seen this and was actually just listening to Revolver haha

irthesteve likes this.
  20. irthesteve

Some pretty cool shit on that album, huh! It's their LSD album haha. Rubber Soul is their weed album.

21. cshadows2887

I have such a soft spot for "I'm Only Sleeping" and "For No One"

irthesteve likes this.
  22. PauLo

43% Burnt

It does have Yellow Submarine on it though, so it’s not completely without sin haha

23. irthesteve

lol ok but still!!!

24. PauLo

43% Burnt

The Taxman into Elenor Rigby 1-2 combo definitely gets a big ol thumbs up from me, though

beachdude and irthesteve like this.
  25. Maverick

Trusted

So interesting to hear the differences between the mono and stereo versions of Tomorrow Never Knows (and many other songs too) Its even more impressive that the mono mix was done “live”