Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beach Bum (Harmony Korine, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, May 18, 2017.

1. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not sure what I was really expected, but I hated this so much.

angrycandy and Henry like this.
  2. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Im affraid this will be my exact reaction. exactly why Ill wait until redbox instead of paying 14+

3. username

hey you lil piss baby

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Do you like his other movies?

5. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I've only seen Springbreakers, which I also did not like.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This was really good.

8. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I already find myself wanting to watch this again.

I think I’m finally going to watch his other work as well.

9. Morrissey

Trusted

I am currently in the Keys. I went on a snorkel trip to a coral reef, and the whole time I was swimming I was thinking of Martin Lawrence.

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I did not like this as much as I’d hoped, but it was fun. Definitely beautiful. The quick scene of the tourist family singing a song made me cry laughing

Ken and wisdomfordebris like this.
  11. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

This was ummm ok??

12. Morrissey

Trusted

If this had come out in place of Spring Breakers it would be received a lot differently.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I really want to see this but haven't seen it playing at all anywhere near me or online.

14. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

redbox or on demand. i rented it for free with a redbox promo code

SpyKi likes this.
  15. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

They have a Rent 1 Get 1 free promo right now so I will be watching this and Us tonight

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  16. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I would like to read your thoughts on it.

17. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

very hilarious but didnt have the impact of spring breakers on me

18. wisdomfordebris Jun 26, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 26, 2019)
    wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Same, but it’s also significantly more lighthearted thanSpring Breakers, so that’s to be expected.

I think they explore different sides of the same coin.

19. username

hey you lil piss baby

It’s interesting to me how much Spring Breakers gets brought up when talking about this film because Korine has really never repeated himself. Probably a symptom of that film being his biggest and people not having seen much else or expecting his breakout to define the rest of his output.

20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

21. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Looking forward to watching this again. Saw it out of curiosity more than anything and ended up surprised by much of it.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I might watch it again tonight

23. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

That was a blast

24. Morrissey

Trusted

It is hard to recapture the magic of Spring Breakers. Anyone who had a familiarity with Korine's work had a different appreciation for the way he took these child stars and made a film that was still in his style but at a much higher budget. Unfortunately, it makes The Beach Bum feel like Spring Breakers 2, but there is more there than that.

The film subverts expectations in a lot of interesting ways. Moon Dog is such a preposterous person, but since you know he is a world-renowned poet you expect there to be some sort of genius lurking underneath. When it turns out the silly thing he turned out at the beginning of the film is part of what wins him so many accolades, you see the typical Korine tactic of skewing perception. The daughter's marriage is so bizarre and the divorce seemingly moreso, because Korine treats side characters as devices rather than full people. This allows him to focus on the hedonism present in that part of Florida.

I have lived in Florida my entire life. I grew up near Miami, and just last week I took a trip to the Keys. He captures that energy very well; Key West is quintessentially tourist, but the rest of the Keys are just retired rich people and the service people who have traded access to a lot of things (it is an hour to get from the mainland to the first Key, three and a half hours the whole way) for a bohemian lifestyle. It is not the multicultural hub of Miami or the tourist trappings of Orlando, but a very relaxed atmosphere. Korine, in both of the films, is getting to that in a way, but having more sympathy for the people than the increasingly dumb ways people dismiss Florida because of what the northern part of the state does.

I don't have a strong opinion on the overall quality of the film. I enjoyed it and laughed, but not much else.

wisdomfordebris and OhTheWater like this.
  25. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

it's a terrible movie but I kinda like it

Ken likes this.