Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by MrRobot, May 16, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It was technically never completed, but this is (as far as I know) a pretty damn close facsimile of what it would have been. They used Wilson's solo Smile album tracklist as a guide. And even if it's not exactly what they would have ended up releasing, it's amazing.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

There's a solo version of those songs too?? Or did I misunderstand? This is like doing my homework and none of the professors have anything posted about the assignments smh

3. cshadows2887

Wilson re-recorded songs from the Smile sessions (which had never gotten to a tracklist stage) for an album called Brian Wilson Presents Smile in 2004. Met with a ton of critical acclaim. And the people compiling The Smile Sessions used his tracklist as a guide to finally be able to sequence it from the original recordings later.

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'll check them both out!

5. OotyPa Feb 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 15, 2018)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Love love love Pet Sounds. The Smile Sessions, Smiley Smile, Friends, and Wild Honey are excellent as well. This band injects joy into my heart.

JRGComedy likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

I've recently developed a massive affinity for Carl and the Passions - So Tough and Holland.

7. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

so I just listened to this for the first time and it blew my mind lol

what are the next most essential records? don't have time for a deep discog dive but would like a few more of the "best" or whatever. Smiley Smile and Wild Honey?

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Check out The Smile Sessions. Maybe then Friends. Smiley Smile is like their version of a weird ambient record so I'd check that out later on-- really great tho.

9. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

will do, thanks!

10. Maverick

Trusted

Been listening to The Beach Boys extensively the past week and yeah this band is one of the greatest ever. I can never get over how addicting I Get Around is and the beautiful sounds of Pet Sounds to the wonderfulness of Brian Wilson's SMiLE. The instrumentals on Pet Sounds blow my mind as I try to figure out what is playing (The accordion on Wouldn't It Be Nice, prepared piano techniques on You Still Believe In Me) and I'm just left thinking that this is without a doubt one of the greatest albums ever made.

I do have to say though that I feel like there is not enough credit given to Brian Wilson's SMiLE solo album. I heard that album over 10 years ago after obsessing over Pet Sounds for the first time looking for something similar and they're both still one of my favorite albums of all time. Brian Wilson's SMiLE's only flaw is that it wasn't finished in the '60s like originally planned. Meaning it's too bad we don't get the timely production/young genius brian wilson's fresh ideas/original young beach boys voices. But besides that, it's pretty amazing and I like it better than The Smile Sessions (Though there's no way you can top the original '60s recordings of Heroes and Villains/Surf's Up/Good Vibrations)

11. zmtr

Trusted

Happy Birthday to the greatest pop album ever recorded..

What is everyone's favorite version?

bradsonemanband likes this.
  12. Was just about to make this same post!

I'll have to think about my favorite version.

zmtr likes this.
  13. zmtr

Trusted

I tend to go for the Mono version because that's the way Brian made it but the 50th anniversary stereo version sounds amazing as well.

bradsonemanband likes this.