Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Batman (Matt Reeves, March 4, 2022) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I wanted so badly to follow this up with 'lol'. gonna be the bigger man and flesh out these two sentences instead.

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

:heart:

Davjs likes this.
  3. Davjs Nov 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 1, 2016)
    Davjs

Trusted

Hahaha, don't be. I find all of it funny and in good sport. :-)

Ken likes this.
  4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I think a long time ago on AP I semi called you out for those. Thread after thread entitled, "lol". Nothing but love from, brother.

5. Davjs

Trusted

I mean, sometimes something just makes you lol and you gotta post it.

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I honestly might have had more threads than most people had posts. darker times, my friend.

airik625 likes this.
  7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Has Zack Snyder ever gotten a human and textured performance out of anyone? It's all posturing, brooding, and yelling.

Ben Affleck is an underrated/overhated actor. Dustin Hoffman would have come out of BvS looking awful. Looking at Affleck as an actor is interesting because he blew up in the late 90s/early 2000s, and has never really gotten a movie where he can do real poignant stuff. Armageddon, Gigli, Pearl Harbor, Daredevil, most of those movies people remember from his peak and sudden decline are bad movies. If you get into the smaller, more human roles he had leading up to becoming a movie star, you get Good Will Hunting, Chasing Amy, and Dogma, which are more than solid performances. Then if you look at the adjustments he made after becoming a punchline, you again get a grounded, interesting role like Hollywoodland, a comedic turn wildly different than anything he'd done before in Extract, and smaller roles where he allows himself to breathe like State of Play, He's Just Not That Into You, and the Company Men. He's good to great in every single one of those films, freeing himself from the workload of a late 90s/early 2000s movie star allowed him to refocus himself as an actor and tap into the spirit of his earlier work that made him so successful, not just as an actor but also more in line the kinds of movies he was in early on (even his earliest roles where he was typecast because he looked like a frat bro were in the work from esteemed 90s indie filmmakers in Dazed & Confused and Mallrats). That, combined with finding his footing as an excellent director, has produced some of his best work. The Town is great, as is he. Argo was a success. He got to work with Terrence Malick and reshape his image in To the Wonder, then utilized that same asshole fratboy-ish-ness to do some of his best acting work in Gone Girl. He's not as dynamic as Brando. He's not going to disappear into a role like Christian Bale or come alive with palpable electricity like Denzel. But he is a good actor who has made bad mistakes (some recently, I admit I haven't seen Runner Runner or the Accountant but I don't feel any desire to), and his reputation as a bad actor comes from bad decisions that doomed any performance he would put forth from the start, not from any lack of talent or ability.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I didn't see Batman V Superman because I don't hate myself, fine I do but not that much so I can't comment on his performance in it, from the trailers he seemed fine though

9. airik625

You haven't watched it because other people don't like it?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah pretty universally everyone seemed to hate it which makes it hard for me to get excited about it

11. Davjs

Trusted

Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner in MOS. Also I haven't seen Sucker Punch since theaters but wasn't Oscar Isak good in that one as the villain?

This is what I meant to say instead of "lol". Sorry, my hand slipped on the keyboard.

Check it out, a ton of great moments. Just messy rushed story to get to JL.

12. Davjs

Trusted

Man I dunno, I think it's 50/50. I know a ton of people who liked it. It's the side that didn't like it that like to complain the loudest though so that's why you hear mostly negative.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  13. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Batman V Superman certainly isn't a great movie, hell I'm not even so sure it's a good one anymore lol, but it's definitely worth watching if only for Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman and the action scenes

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  14. Davjs

Trusted

I'd say it's good. It did more right than wrong and in the end we don't need 8 solo movies to get to Justice League so I'm not too mad about the rushing. We are a year out. Fuck. And yes.

15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

If someone doesn't want to see a movie, then they don't want to see that movie, lol.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  16. It was shit on by most critics, but general audiences were more evenly split. Most of my friends liked it, but nobody leaned too heavily on loving it or hating it. I'm in the minority of loving it.

If you don't like Zack Snyder films or superheroes being sad, you probably won't like BvS.

17. Nathan

It's hard to recommend a bad two and a half hour movie, even if it does a couple things I like. It's Zack Snyder's worst movie, there are better things to do with that time.

I do find the split in critic and audience reception interesting, I might attribute it mostly to Snyder's considerable skill at visual action, which I think connects with average moviegoers more than its many flaws.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Greg like this.
  18. Davjs

Trusted

I'd say if we are doing the Ultimate Cut, it's his 2nd worst behind Sucker Punch (which I still like for what it is).

I wouldn't say to not recommend it completely, but only if the person has any interest to see the rest of the dcue films. This movie is honestly just set up for characters and plot points for JL. If they don't want to see JL and isn't a DC fan, then no I couldn't recommend it.

19. Nathan

I forgot about Suckerpunch.

This is Zack Snyder's second worst movie.

Davjs and Greg like this.
  20. airik625

This guy has it figured it out.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  21. airik625

Never bothered with that one.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I liked Sucker Punch a lot aesthetically, but it is awful at telling a story that makes any sense at all.

23. I watched Sucker Punch during some down time in a hotel years ago. I remember loving the visuals and the stylized action, but couldn't tell you what the story was, the name of any character, or one line of dialogue ha.

Davjs likes this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

25. Davjs

Trusted

I don't buy it. But hey, gotta keep the rumor mill going.