Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs (Coen Brothers, Netflix, November 16, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 25, 2018.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

got through the first two and really liked it but my wife wasn't feeling it so i had do ditch it. hoping to watch it this week.

Connor likes this.
  2. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

This was sooooooooo good.

Connor likes this.
  3. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I really loved this.

Connor likes this.
  4. Morrissey

Trusted

Like any anthology film, there is a big gap in quality. I would rather see much more of the five stories other than the Liam Neeson part. In particular, a full-length version of the woman who is courted by the cowboy who fails to kill her dog.

5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Kazan
    Neeson

Waits
    Gleeson

Nelson
    Franco

coleslawed likes this.
  6. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I didn’t particularly enjoy two of the stories, but I really liked the one with Kazan as well as the one with Franco. Overall, I enjoyed much of it and it had some truly darkly funny moments.

7. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Pan shot!

EASheartsVinyl, I Am Mick and zmtr like this.
  8. I watched half of it last night and was really to it. I’m going to finish tonight and probably rewatch it this weekend.

9. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Just started watching this and I wasn't expecting it to be so funny.

T.J. likes this.
  10. Meal Ticket :(

11. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

The first couple yeah,but then after that most of the humor is done .

Connor likes this.
  12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

trevorshmevor likes this.
  13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

This was great

Connor likes this.
  14. Anthony_ Dec 17, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 17, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    The Mortal Remains
    The Gal Who Got Rattled
    All Gold Canyon
    Meal Ticket
    Near Algodones

Also, Carter Burwell deserves every nomination possible for this score. It was excellent.

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Ballad, and The Gal Who Got Rattled we’re easily my favorites.

16. Hello Mr Pocket

I liked Meal Ticket and All Gold Canyon the best

coleslawed and Connor like this.
  17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

i’d put Girl, Gold, and Buster at the top.

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Finally watching this and overall I love it. Could do without seeing James Franco in general and I’m really not into the use of the “savages coming over the mountain” trope which took me out of the film, but the rest of it has been beautiful and funny and very true to their work. No idea where I would rank it against their other films, but definitely on the higher end.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Connor like this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I was just gonna say the way Native Americans was depicted in this was fucked up and a Western trope that needs to die

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl Jan 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 6, 2019)
    EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The fact that they played that so straight when they are usually so good at turning things on their head was the worst. It really was gross and disappointing. The Gal Who Got Rattled is definitely my least favorite just because of that. If they changed the conflict to something else but kept the rest of the story it would have been one of the best.

EDITED because I don’t actually have no idea why they did it, they have a terrible track record with this stuff and I have a good idea of why. But it’s still disappointing.

21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Actually I guess Near Algodones may be my least favorite because it had that trope and was the James Franco one, but it was so long and drawn out in The Gal Who Got Rattled that it seemed way worse.

22. yung_ting

Trusted

wow

The Mortal Remains tied everything together so well. I think it was bookended by my two favorites, but it was incredibly consistent. Not a weak segment here imo, I loved all of them.

coleslawed and Connor like this.
  23. Maverick

Trusted

Meal ticket was a little upsetting so that was my least favorite. Really liked All Gold Canyon, Near Algodones and the ballad of Buster.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

coleslawed likes this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator