Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs (Coen Brothers, Netflix, November 16, 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah Zoe Kazans wrecked me! Liam Neesans depressed me a lot haha. That ending one though was so well written and acted. I was waiting for it to all explode. I think for sure they have to be based on the guys speech about watching people accept it

2. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I think I would have liked this much more if it remained a series with 20 minute episodes.

Connor likes this.
  3. Kuri44

I thought this was pretty good. Really liked 4 of the 6 stories. (Meal Ticket and The Mortal Remains being the weak ones, though I did like the ending of Meal Ticket).

4. Connor

The Mortal Remains and Meal Ticket were probably my second and third favorites after The Girl Gets Rattled

5. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

p baffled at anyone calling this minor Coens tbh

coleslawed, primavera and Connor like this.
  6. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

anyway this rules

maybe their most nihilistic film?

at least since A Serious Man

Connor likes this.
  7. Pseudo!

Regular

This was awesome start to finish. But I'm a big fan of the coens. Glad they made it a film

Connor likes this.
  8. Connor

Yeah saying this is low tier puts it with Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers and it’s soooo much better

9. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

this list is

v good

10. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

So happy to see all the love for A Serious Man, I feel like it’s among their most underrated and a personal favourite. Could talk about it for hours

Surprised No Country isn’t a little higher but makes me want to revisit some of their older films I haven’t seen in a minute

Connor and jkauf like this.
  11. T.J.

music and baseball.

i thought this would be a series of main characters dying until Tom Waits survived. I called that Waits would die, and thought my theory was true, until... glad to be wrong, since I was rooting for Waits. i just started the next chapter.

coleslawed and Connor like this.
  12. T.J.

music and baseball.

well that last chapter is a mind f**k

Brent and Connor like this.
  13. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Just watched the first three last night. Loved the opening and Meal Ticket ones. Looking forward to finishing today (started way late last night)

Connor likes this.
  14. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Loved this. Top-tier Coen Brothers for sure. The score was on point too.

Connor likes this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Haven't seen this yet but... yep!

Pseudo! likes this.
  16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Tweet won’t load

Brent likes this.
  17. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Tom Waits is so good in this lol

Connor, Brent and Aregala like this.
  18. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

What was this tweet?

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Basically he was pointing out how this is another case of people saying this is "not as good" as the top shelf Coens, only for those people to eventually change their tune years down the line when said Coens movie gets a critical reappraisal or sorts and they all act like they always loved that film initially. Wish he didn't delete that

Brent and Connor like this.
  20. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

So my ranking that no one asked for...

1. All Gold Canyon
    2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    3. Meal Ticket
    4. Near Algodones
    5. The Girl Who Got Rattled
    6. The Mortal Remains

21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

It was fine. I think some stories went on too long (Meal Ticket, I understand they wanted to drive home the dwindling crowds despite the same passion behind the performance, but I didn't need to see the same segment of a performance over and over) and I don't think it looked nearly as good as other Coen Brother's movies. The Girl Who Got Rattled had these sprawling, open vistas with the tiny wagon cars on the horizon but somehow failed to look cinematic. Hard to explain, but it looked like anybody with a camera could have filmed those parts. Also, that story had a part with a native american falling off his horse that straight up looked like PS2 graphics, the CG was terrible.

I've honestly seen more people complain about others saying it isn't "top tier Coen's" than explain why it's such a masterpiece

Brent likes this.
  22. Connor

Eh it was extremely well written and acted. Despite some dodgy CGI (this wasn’t huge studio budget mind you, this is Netflix) the acting and writing were just really top notch.

I also disagree on it not looking cinematic. I don’t think it’s a masterpiece. I think it’s middle tier Coen Bros which is still pretty damn high cause even lower tier Coens is great.

23. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

My rankings: 2<6<4<1<#3<5

24. zmtr

Trusted

I loved this so much I can’t even put it into words. The music was so up my alley.

Connor and coleslawed like this.
  25. zmtr

Trusted

Meal ticket was so fucked up.

Connor, T.J. and jkauf like this.