Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs (Coen Brothers, Netflix, November 16, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 25, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Originally conceived as a miniseries but now considered an anthology film

"We’ve always loved anthology movies, especially those films made in Italy in the Sixties which set side-by-side the work of different directors on a common theme,” the Coens said in a statement. “Having written an anthology of Western stories we attempted to do the same, hoping to enlist the best directors working today. It was our great fortune that they both agreed to participate.”

Tim Blake Nelson (pictured) stars as the eponymous Scruggs. The cast features names like Zoe Kazan, Liam Neeson and Tom Waits, but little is known about the separate stories.

2. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Tom Waits + Coen Brothers is a heavenly combo!

coleslawed and Why Bother? like this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

some more plot details and it will be a 2 hour film

coleslawed likes this.
  4. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

liam, nice

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

6. username

hey you lil piss baby

Very curious to see reactions from Venice. I think it premieres tomorrow? Surprised there isn’t more hype for it. It’s the Coens! (Even if I thought the last was a bit of a flop)

primavera likes this.
  7. username

hey you lil piss baby

coleslawed likes this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mad likes this.
  9. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

can't wait for this

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Looks really fun. Kind of wish it was still a mini series

11. Looks great.

12. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Holy shit yes.

13. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

i’d guess that, since it was already going to Netflix, they figured people would just binge it all, anyway. plus, now we get it in theaters and the Coen’s get Oscar considerations.

14. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Always excited for something new from them.

15. username

hey you lil piss baby

Word is that this is both hilarious and extremely bleak. I thought it was going to be a straight comedy. I’m way too excited.

jkauf likes this.
  16. zmtr

Trusted

Seems like people are loving it. I haven’t wanted to see something this bad in a loooong time.

coleslawed likes this.
  17. username

hey you lil piss baby

Just got an email that this will be released theatrically in Toronto simultaneously with the Netflix release. I’m so excited!

Aregala and primavera like this.
  18. username

hey you lil piss baby

Got the chance to see this this morning and I thought it was outstanding. I thought it was going to be funnier (the first story is hilarious), but in true Coen fashion, it’s actually a pretty bleak look at humanity. I really like the episodic structure, but there are some characters that are so great that I wish we got more time with them. Tim Blake Nelson is especially outstanding as the titular Buster Scruggs. Definitely top tier Coen in my eyes, and probably one of the best of the year.

Aregala, Connor, coleslawed and 5 others like this.
  19. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

good to hear, can't wait for friday.

Connor likes this.
  20. username

hey you lil piss baby

One weird/uncomfortable thing: they have James Franco look at a younger girl and say something to the effect of "now that's a pretty girl," which is kind of fucked considering Franco's reputation. But then they kill his character immediately after that so idk what to think

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  21. username

hey you lil piss baby

And for fun, here's my top 10 Coen films since I haven't done it since I completed their filmography.

1. Inside Llewyn Davis
    2. Barton Fink
    3. A Serious Man
    4. The Man Who Wasn't There
    5. Fargo
    6. The Big Lebowski
    7. No Country for Old Men
    8. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    9. Raising Arizona
    10. Blood Simple

Aregala and Connor like this.
  22. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Rewatched A Serious Man the other day and it’s so underrated — love it even more now.

23. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

interesting! been hearing a lot of buzz it’s low tier coens and should have remained a mini series, but that has me hyped

24. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Just finished it. I loved it. I’d say it’s mid tier Coen Bros. It’s definitely bleak but it’s also really funny and really beautiful.

Also I don’t think that James Franco is looking at a “young” girl. Looks to be a lady about his age. I just think his character was happy to see something “beautiful” before he died.

Also... were they all dead at the end in the last segment?

coleslawed and I Am Mick like this.
  25. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

Regarding your question, they had to be right? That, the prospector , and Zoe Kazan's were amazing.

Oh , and Liam Neeson's of course, can't believe I almost forgot it.

Connor likes this.