Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Ataris Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Larry David, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Furry Werthers

Trusted

wait hang on so they're musical NFTs? how does that work? like you're the only one who has a copy of the MP3?

2. Same as an NFT of a jpeg - it's basically a certificate of authenticity. The file itself isn't restricted in any way. In fact, I already ripped the songs from the site.

3. Furry Werthers

Trusted

lol. lmfao.

I mean... good for Kris for making that money and good for anyone who wants that but I can think of much better ways to light money on fire lol

4. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

He also sold the gold record for So Long Astoria on eBay.

T E A L likes this.
  5. Furry Werthers

Trusted

geez that's bleak

elphshelf, DyingGaslight and T E A L like this.
  6. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Remember when he was selling his old t-shirts on eBay?

7. T E A L

Regular

Saw yet another livestream today where Kris plays the same old songs acoustically, asks repeatedly for tips, reminds people there's handwritten lyric sheets to bid on, and tells everyone to go buy all his old tour relics off eBay. I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I can't believe how much Kris figuratively trips over himself as an artist. Dude has more songwriting talent in his pinky than a small town and can't be bothered to formally release any new material to reignite his smoldering career. I will give him credit for answering my question on the livestream about new music saying it might coincide with a 20th year anniversary tour of So Long, Astoria. So there's that, I guess.

8. Yeah it really is such a bummer. He was one of the 3 musicians that got me into writing my own music, so it sucks to see him just kinda stop, and repeatedly give the same bullshit answer for the last 10+ years. a couple days ago I watched his livestream and he mentioned he has a couple hundred songs written but doesn’t have the money to go in and actually record them.

I’ve suggested to him before that he should consider setting up a Kickstarter to fund a new album, including cool rewards like his handwritten lyrics, tour stuff, private livestreams, etc since he already does that and obviously like it. But he said he feels weird about crowdfunding an album. It’s frustrating as a die hard fan, but maybe the well is dried up, or maybe his own inner insecurities and anxieties are throwing him off his game and he’s stuck in that shitty rut. Who knows? It’s all disheartening though for sure.

9. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

Was just thinking about Kris/the Ataris today. I mean, sometimes I wonder if the guy is suffering from pretty severe depression. It’s like Welcome the Night (an album that was very personal to him) tanked, and he has just never recovered and regained the confidence to put himself out there like that again.

That obviously happened to a much lesser degree with Weezer and Pinkerton. It’s kind of amazing that Rivers recovered from that, but did so by releasing such a vanilla record with the Green Album.

I can completely understand why he wouldn’t want to crowdfund an album. There’s probably a nagging fear that he’ll just disappoint.

DyingGaslight and T E A L like this.
  10. For Bandcamp Friday today, Kris put back up all the super rare old stuff. So if you didn't get it before, don't miss out again.
    The Ataris

11. DyingGaslight

DyingUnderGaslight

Definitely. A shame because some of the new songs that have filtered out are really good.

12. deflector

formerly pizzatime

I don't know y'all, I still think Welcome the Night is the best Ataris record

Penlab, T E A L and HelloThisIsDog like this.
  13. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I 1000000% agree.

14. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

One of those ones I didn't like at the time because of the direction change (same with Coming Home by NFG) that I went back to later and actually enjoyed quite a bit.

Trying to remember, was it just emo becoming more popular at that time that drove some of the pop punk bands to go darker & slower, or was it the effect of Blink Untitled?

IDK - I was also in my awkward high school ska phase at the time as well haha.

15. It’s not as bad as it got pegged. But it’s still by far their worst album.

16. Deja, Stay What You Are, and that all hit around the same time for the “mature” phase.

ZooZooChaCha likes this.
  17. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

[​IMG]

18. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I remember one rainy day when Welcome The Night just clicked with me. It was a nice day. Just the perfect rainy day album.

It's better with the title track as the first track though.

DyingGaslight and HelloThisIsDog like this.
  19. It should have been under a different band name, and maybe it would have hit a little better. As an Ataris album, it's definitely their worst.

DyingGaslight likes this.
  20. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I can understand why fans of their previous material would be taken aback by the stylistic shift, but I loathe the idea that bands should relegate any musical detours they want to make to side projects.

I mean, I get it. You gravitate to a band because you expect a certain sound or consistency in their work. But too many times I've heard lackluster albums from bands that would have improved if they felt more emboldened to mix their side projects into their core output.

It's a tired saying, but variety really is the spice of life.

21. DyingGaslight

DyingUnderGaslight

I felt like the most egregious misstep for welcome the night as the fact that Kris doesn't really sound like himself.I remember hearing it for the first time and not even really recognizing him which initially put me off of it, separate from the stylistic curveball.

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. I think if bands come out of the gate doing different stuff constantly (like Jimmy Eat World maybe), then it's not as jarring. But for a band like The Ataris doing similar albums their entire career before dying their hair black, changing the way they sing, and going for a complete different sound altogether, it's very jarring and is almost literally a completely different band.

23. razorburn Aug 23, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 24, 2022)
    razorburn

Trusted

I used to talk with Kris quite frequently back in 2007. He said he originally wanted it released under a different name, be it solo or a side-project, but Columbia persuaded him not to - and then they were dropped, but he'd already been promoting it as an Ataris release.

I know Kris gets flack for not fulfilling his promise of a follow-up, but the reception to Welcome the Night knocked the confidence he had in his songwriting abilities, which is also why he doesn't crowdfund the follow-up, incase he once again let's people down. It's a shame as he was, and still is, incredibly talented.

I think it's important to note that despite everything, Kris has been incredibly generous in the live recordings, demos, and b-sides he's shared - all for pay what you want download.

If you happen to catch The Ataris on tour and meet Kris, be sure to mention Welcome the Night and watch him light up. It's absolutely his magnum opus and definitely deserves more recognition.

24. heartchapel

Regular

People in here acting like Anywhere But Here doesn't exist. Hands down the worst Ataris album. Welcome the Night blows it out of the water.

ZooZooChaCha and HelloThisIsDog like this.
  25. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

bradsonemanband likes this.