Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Ataris Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Larry David, Jun 11, 2017.

1. I always assumed it was his unflinching determination to record everything on vintage analog gear in (presumably) expensive studios that was holding up the record, but after they did that EP of silly pre-Ataris punk songs last year in the same studio where they did the new songs they've released, I really have no idea.

2. I just found an old VHS tape that Bill (Kris Roe's dad) sent to me a loooong time ago.

It has a full So Long Astoria era show on it (Chicago), an old Much Music interview, 2 music videos, and a full rare acoustic show from the opening of their old store, Down On Haley.

I'm uploading the acoustic show to my computer right now!

3. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Okay, I'll take the bait. How do you know his dad?

4. From back in the day on the old Ataris message board haha.

Larry David likes this.
  5. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

my favorite memories of the internet man

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

7. Kris be doin' cool shit

8. elphshelf

It’s been almost 11 years Kris. Where’s the god damn album.

neo506 likes this.
  9. Let’s just crowdfund the purchase of ten original songs about “graveyards” and “the Atlantic” from this and release it as the new album ourselves.

neo506 and Larry David like this.
  10. elphshelf

He’s basically describing crowdfunding in that Instagram post but won’t actually do it on a large scale to fund the album. It makes no sense.

neo506 and bradsonemanband like this.
  11. cherrywaves

Trusted

How much would I have to pay him to throw parts of a drum set at me?

12. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Going to see them tonight in Boston for the 15 year anniversary of So Long Astoria.
    Tbh I haven't thought about this band in ages- but it should be a fun time

Larry David and bradsonemanband like this.
  13. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

Was just listening to John Nolan's new album and it reminded of Welcome the Night. So now I'm listening to Welcome the Night and I think this album would have been much better received today than it was in 2007.

14. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Such an underrated gem. It's also a great fall/winter record

thegreatbenbino likes this.
  15. In the mail this week, I got the super old Ataris/Jungle Fish split 7”

Larry David likes this.
  16. Larry David likes this.
  17. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

"I love watching police chases on tv, but I don't want to be a part of one." He's a lot calmer than I would be in that situation. And that poor dog looks like she just wants to go home and eat away her fear. Glad they're both okay.

18. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Whoa.

19. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Why does Welcome The Night sound like the Appleseed Cast

20. Saw them tonight. (The Ataris, I mean.)

21. myawrld Oct 1, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 1, 2019)
    myawrld

Regular

Since we will seemingly never get a new album - how did Welcome The Night age with everyone?

I always loved the album but clearly the public didn’t embrace it..do you think if this same album was released today by another band or by The Ataris it would have been more accepted by the scene?

The album wasn’t received well and The Ataris never recovered. Even with bursts of attention through releasing singles - they never were able to follow up properly and rarely can keep a lineup and are seemingly touring for forever. It’s disappointing because I think Kris is a great writer and still has a great level of passion for his art but seems to be his own biggest obstacle.

22. I don’t know that it would have been more accepted today or from a different artist. I’ve always liked it, but it’s not groundbreaking by any means. I do wish they had stuck with the original leaked version that didn’t have “Not Capable of Love,” “Connections,” and maybe “New Years Day.” The album had a very strong sonic and artistic vision that gets undermined by those songs clearly being added so they had viable singles.

23. myawrld

Regular

I agree - I've always preferred the leaked version with the intro and title track - though I do like Connections.. and New Years Day. The Driftwood Sinn was a good bonus track as well.

Edit: Also if anyone has this original leaked version - I lost it long ago. Any DM would be appreciated.

24. I probably still have it. I'll check when I get home.

xmilesross likes this.