Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Ataris Re-Record “The Boys of Summer” Cover

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Sounds worse lol

3. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Finally. It's what we've all been hoping for.

4. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

This just helped to remind me that The Graveyard of the Atlantic was supposed to be released ten years ago.

5. tobytobes

Regular

Sounds "poppier", bad mastering (cymbals sound like toys), Kris' voice is close to the same at least if not sounding higher pitched. Really weird remaster, hahaha.

Also, let's be realistic, The Ataris didn't remaster the song, Kris did. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED them growing up, but I've acknowledged that it's pretty much the Kris Show now, issues and all.

thechetearly likes this.
  6. abcdefg123

Regular

I've been waiting for this since Don Henley wrote it. I knew two versions by The Ataris would eventually be released.

7. thecobrakais

Regular

[​IMG]

8. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I agree. I like this version less. Production just sounds worse.

Also, why do this in December, the exact opposite of summer (at least on this half of the globe)? This just all makes no sense.

thechetearly likes this.
  9. Who needed this? The original was fine.

thechetearly and 333 GANG like this.
  10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

lol spending the time to re-record this song note for note and not the album they've been teasing for a DECADE

11. Dog Fish

Mutt

A Spanish version is being released next week

12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

It's bad

abcdefg123 likes this.
  13. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

Sounds muddy.

Is this maybe a royalties thing? That's their most popular song. If people stream this one instead of the older one, will they get a bigger cut?

14. gbuffers

England.

This is so weird but I was just sat here thinking I wish The Ataris would re-record The Boys of Summer in almost exactly the same fashion but with worse production and some subtle almost unnoticeable differences. What are the chances!?

abcdefg123 and waterloobeam like this.
  15. Almost certain this is the reason.

thechetearly and bradsonemanband like this.
  16. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Yeah, Sony owns the rights to So Long, Astoria. The remaster is credited to Cleopatra Records, who probably gave them a better royalty split.

17. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

If I were Kris Roe's manager I wouldn't be

18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Well other famous artists are doing it or going to be doing it, so I guess they (Or he) just followed suit.

I personally, still struggle with the idea not owning a copy of the music I love (hard copy or digital) and relying on just streaming services only.

19. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

But why

20. All Systems Goku

Winter has finally come.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  21. Longnights

He needed a couple bucks from this new version to get enough gas to the next vfw hall. Awful

22. Delysid

Regular

dude this is so random its been like 17? years. I was in 6th grade when the first one came out. All biases of being more attached to the original aside this definitely sounds worse... like a cover of a cover? so weird

23. Conor Oberst

Well they sure did snag that “most unnecessary thing of 2019” award last second, right out from under Yellowcard.

Analog Drummer and thechetearly like this.
  24. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

This sounds more like a demo than a finished and properly mastered song. I wouldn't mind hearing it slightly re-worked like this if it actually sounded better than the original...

25. tobytobes

Regular

As an aside if you're still reading this thread : Is Cleopatra Records tied to Kris somehow? They've put out almost every newer Ataris album on LP in the past year or two.

I'm not complaining as I think I grabbed every time they put something "new" out, and I'm hoping it helps out Kris/the band, but I was just curious if it was like HIS label putting his own music out/