Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Aquabats Bat Commander Issues Apology

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Aquabatsʼ Bat Commander has issued an apology on Facebook for an insensitive post last week.

Friday, I reposted a photo of the marquee at a local shop in our area. Every couple of weeks they come up with some kind of silly messaging on their marquee for the people driving by the store to read. I’ve posted a few of these in the past…but Friday’s post was a mistake. Initially, I read it as a silly topical way to say that the shop has wetsuits that can fit anyone and everyone. I realize that it was actually in poor taste and insensitive to the transgender community. I honestly didn’t mean any offense and unfortunately, I didn’t think too much of it at the time of my repost. I realize now that many people were hurt by this and I feel bad. This was my poor judgment to post it.

Friday, I reposted a photo of the marquee at a local shop in our area. Every couple of weeks they come up with some kind…

Posted by The Aquabats! on Sunday, April 3, 2016

The post The Aquabats Bat Commander Issues Apology appeared first on chorus.fm.

2. Tata Toothy

Regular

Your not allowed to joke about anyone anymore. You piss off one person that doesn't have a sense of humor and it turns into a shit storm.

3. Frinet42

Regular Supporter

Fairly thoughtful apology, the aquabats are rad.

4. Tata Toothy

Regular

The aqua bats are rad, that's why I think this was meant as a joke and not to hurt anyone. But now with twitter and social media he's getting torn apart about social media warriors.

5. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

MC Bat Commander really seems like a good guy who certainly wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. He posted something he thought was funny, but found out a lot of people felt uncomfortable with it, so he wrote an apology. I bet he had no idea he had so many fans in the trans community.

Spencer Rhoton likes this.
  6. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Curious what it said.

7. Brandon339

Newbie Supporter

If a marginalized community is upset about a "joke", then apologizing is the only right course of action.

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

this is all that needs to be said.

Butinsmallsteps likes this.
  9. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I had no clue anything even happened, but it's good to see him take responsibility and try to make amends.

10. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

Intent doesn't mean a thing. People were offended, and he (presumably) knows that he has no idea how they're feeling, so rather than tell them to stop (which would be awful) he correctly apologies. He did the right thing. Neither him, nor you, nor me, have any right to say that they shouldnt be offended. And he gets to decide how important them being offended is, he felt it was important enough to issue an apology

11. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

And this, this thread right here, is why Jason disabled the front page news comments.

12. Selkies

That guy looks familiar

He's a good dude who does a lot of good things. I highly doubt he intended anything hurtful but I understand the need for an apology. I'm surprised the comments aren't full of people swearing off the band indefinitely.

13. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Spencer Rhoton likes this.
  14. clucky

Trusted Supporter

first comment is still from a troll. If the intended purpose was to hide awfulness from the front page I guess it works. If it was to try and keep trolls out it certainly hasn't

15. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

It was for the first reason, though we also won't be tolerating blatant trolls here either.

16. Selkies

That guy looks familiar

Why is he a troll? His opinion differs from yours? Nothing he said was offensive or directed at a particular person.

Please don't take my post as an attempt to be rude, honestly just curious.

17. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Implying that anyone offended by something someone says is because they don't have a sense of humor is an inherently offensive viewpoint. It only serves to reinforce a flawed status quo.

18. Selkies

That guy looks familiar

Okay. You don't have to agree with his opinion (I don't) but writing people off as "trolls" based on their opinions seems counterproductive towards your goal of getting people to see that it isn't cool just because it used to be. People aren't going to take it seriously if you're just gonna call them names.

Eric likes this.
  19. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

You know that when a member of the aquabats has to apologize for something that people go out of their way to be offended these days.

20. Eric

Regular

Yep. That person has a bad opinion but they probably weren't trying to start shit. Just writing them off as a troll won't help them possibly learn why their opinion was bad

21. transrebel59

Regular

"Unisex Wetsuits available. Jennerally speaking, they fit a Bruce or a Caitlyn."

I still don't see any offensive part to this because the joke is playing on the name "Jenner" and "Generally".

22. Tata Toothy

Regular

My comment was made out of poor judgment and your response is 100% correct. I deserve the heat.

I believe it was a poor joke and not thought out very well. The joke didn't bother me, but I was wrong for making my first post. I have no idea how it hurts someone else.

All I know is the aqua bat community is great, they do a ton of work for their communities. I hope after the apology people understand it wasn't malicious just a poor attempt at humor.

Butinsmallsteps likes this.
  23. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

Don't worry about it :) and yeah it's one hell of a great community and i think this only made it better and stronger in the end

Tata Toothy likes this.