Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Americans (FX) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Mar 9, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

one of the better episodes this season.

Martha is going to die of an overdose. I'm almost certain that's the direction they're headed.

2. A Flirting Time

that episode is the reason why I watch The Americans. incredible... The existential malaise that Oleg and Paige both fall under (Paige by necessity and Oleg by conscience/love) concurrently is everything the show does flawlessly.

[​IMG]

I love that Beeman and Philip are edging so effortlessly and meaningfully into each other's homes without having to fully digest the impact of their narcissistic acts. It's so easy for them to compartmentalize the family experience into something preserved but unrealized, whereas their sons are (currently) quiet bystanders.

Paige is in completely uncharted territory. Her and Martha could have unlimited screentime as far as I’m concerned. Which makes it even shittier to see what Martha’s coping strategies are. So much negative reinforcement there for Martha.

Such an unrelenting episode. Though Elizabeth deflecting Philip's despair always leads to the best goddamn sex scenes.

[​IMG]

airik625 likes this.
  3. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Another great episode, I need to see the next one NOW after the ending.

4. fastlife

Regular Supporter

So nervous for Martha, what a tense episode.

5. airik625

She really has done a wonderful job this season. That's a lot to ask from an actor/actress.

I swear every single time Philip and Elizabeth seem to get on the same page with each other emotionally and even physically, something happens to completely kill any momentum they had.

A Flirting Time likes this.
  6. A Flirting Time

Yeah, there's always been that reluctance to admit his love for Martha and obviously Elizabeth has suspected it so I think that made Elizabeth feel like the gap really hasn't closed much at all. And I do believe Elizabeth has been trying, but not as much as Philip needs her to. And even more to realize he's been harboring this secret connection that's finally jeopardized their identities while still not being able to trust her enough with the truth. Bummer, yeah they were really making progress this season. Those first scenes during episode one in the garage where Philip talked about EST and she heard him compassionately was such a step toward a more stable foundation for emotional intimacy. I really like the hope and tenderness and unease that scene in the garage made me feel.

airik625 likes this.
  7. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Martha better not die.

8. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

I feel like the only way Martha survives is if she goes to the FBI or they get to her first and she tells them everything. She knew little enough that she can't rightfully be blamed for much, if anything at all.

9. airik625

No way she comes out of this fiasco unscathed. No matter which side gets to her first. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the KGB tries to take her out now that she is threatening giving up their identity.

And like Agent Gad said, she's been working there over a decade. She obviously placed the pen in his office with intent to harm.

I can only imagine how Agent Gad feels though. Imagine all the work you've accomplished in the last ten years, and then imagine what he could have accomplished if the enemy wasn't always one step ahead of him.

10. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Fantastic episode, but yeah, sure seems like Martha's time is coming to an end soon. Alison Wright has done a magnificent job this season.

airik625 likes this.
  11. MrRobot

Oh, shit, yeah. I forgot about that. I was thinking more along the lines of her not knowing Philip/Clark was KGB right until the last second and it would be hard to blame her for not knowing that, but the pen thing is big.

12. Whether or not Martha survives, there's no way she doesn't shoot someone before the season ends right? That gun has been teased for years.

13. MrRobot

Watch it be like the ricin in Breaking Bad and they don't use it until the very last moment.

14. airik625

Philip took her gun. She doesn't have it anymore.

15. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

For now...

16. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I've been waiting all week for a new episode.

17. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I finally caught up yesterday after binging the past month. I don't know if I'm prepared to wait a week between episodes now. No way Martha gets out of this alive.

18. airik625

Not watching until tomorrow, but if she survives this episode, she won't make it another week after today. Poor girl.

19. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

After this episode, letting her live almost seems more devastating than killing her off.

Whalejaw, tucah, Slangster and 2 others like this.
  20. airik625

I cannot believe they dragged Martha through another entire episode. That poor girl. She has literally lost everything.

Still probably going to kill herself with her pills.

Still don't think she shoots anybody?

21. MrRobot

Yeah, I don't think she's going through with any of what Philip proposed to her. I'd bet she checks out on her own terms.

airik625 likes this.
  22. airik625

If Philip would have lied to her and told her that he would eventually be joining her in Russia like Elizabeth proposed, she probably would be alright and make it. That was stone cold.

23. A Flirting Time

It wouldn't have been fair for Philip to lie to her and get her to Russia and have her experience that despair in a vacuum where she'd most certainly have a bigger breakdown. Ultimately Philip would have to live with the consequences of his lie, knowing that it would break her. He's a selfish guy and doesn't want to bear all of that weight because he did/does love her in different ways. I want Martha to make the decision to shoot Gabriel in the fucking head or injure Philip a la Elizabeth season one.

24. airik625

@A Flirting Time what do you mean have Martha hurt Philip? I don't want that at all. Also how do you mean like Elizabeth in the first season?

I'm guessing that they are going to try to send that biohazard rat with Martha somehow (without her knowing) so they can get it to Russia.

25. A Flirting Time

My vengeful sensibilities would like to see Martha physically injure Philip (while on the job), similar to Elizabeth getting shot in the season one finale.