Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Americans (FX) TV Show • Page 13

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Mar 9, 2016.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It was by far my least favorite. There was such a shift in tone and focus, and I wasn’t really into the wheat story after a while. I totally get that it was really important for them on their personal journeys, but it didn’t make any sense for me why Philip and Elizabeth had to be the ones doing it when it opened them up to so much scrutiny and we know they have others who could have done it without flying across the country constantly.

I also really disliked Tuan and the entire way they treated Pasha. That was another story that I got was important for them to kind of reach a breaking point, but it was just so so cruel and it took soooo much of the season.

I mentioned Mischa already, but that really did almost make me tap out. I had been watching a few episodes a day like clockwork but after he got sent home I didn’t watch for like two weeks or something. The almost shoot the shaggy dog aspect was just too much for me. Knowing how much they were both hurting and that all it would have taken was one little conversation to give them both enough hope and strength to keep going just devastated me. I do hope that there would be a way for them to meet after the show ends, but I also feel robbed on a meta level because Matthew would have completely killed that scene and I want to watch it, not imagine it.
    I did love the development of Paige and Oleg in five. Watching him go from some rando that I wished would go away to one of the best characters was super satisfying. And it led to an easy way to show Martha, who is the BEST and deserves everything and made me cry just by existing every time we saw her. And seeing Paige grow into her own person instead of the pious kid she was for so much of the series was also satisfying, even if I had major issues with what they were doing to her and how.

I wish more focus could have still been on the friendship instead of sending everyone off on totally separate paths for so much of the season, especially now that I won’t get any new scenes of them interacting and my craving for it is off the charts.

I can’t stop thinking about the last season and finale right now. I keep waking up and remembering little things or seeing certain shots burned into my mind. I’ll probably have to keep blowing this thread up with emotional word vomit for a while. Lol.

Taketimeandfind likes this.
  2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Also since I had to avoid every single forum and post and article like the plague, I’m stoked to find out that every fan is in love with the mail robot and hates Pastor Tim and all sorts of little things that I felt watching it. That stuff always cracks me up and I love how specific it can get and yet still manage to be universally felt for the fans.

Taketimeandfind likes this.
  3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I’m awake for real now and With or Without You is still blaring in my head. That song will only be about them for me for the rest of my life. Absolutely iconic to take something and use it to such perfection. I’ll probably be crying off and on all day.

Slangster likes this.
  4. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Every time I hear the song now all I can think about is the show

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

There are a few other moments that stand out for me using songs I know so so well and giving them new meaning or associations. I don’t know if it will be as long-lasting, but I know for at least a while I’ll think of this when I hear Under Pressure.

I’m blowing through all of the reviews and comments I had to avoid while watching, and it’s hilarious to see what so many ending theories were that seem completely impossible in hindsight or heartbreaking to read interpretations that hadn’t occurred to me yet.

One thing I thought about last night that I haven’t seen mentioned was Stan’s conversation with Henry where he tells him he can’t trust anyone, not even his wife or his son, and contrasting that with his choice in the end to honor his love for Philip and for Henry himself by actually trusting him with the whole truth despite all the risks. That may have struck out to me more because of binging it, but either way it’s another beautiful layer to the story.

6. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Don’t Dream It’s Over was another great use of song too. What a way to start off a season

7. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Tusk is used perfectly too, I’ll always associate it with the premiere.

8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

So FX totally ditched the official merch page apparently?? I’m so mad. I saw a pic of a Mail Robot shirt and I need it in my life.

airik625 likes this.
  9. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I have the last season left to watch after going through this the past few months. Looking forward to seeing the conclusion!

10. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I still miss this show.

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I definitely feel super empty having finished it. I’m sure that feeling would be worse if I had been here from the start. I’ll be rewatching it soon without a doubt.

I probably haven’t been this invested in a show after finishing it since Lost. I keep thinking of different theories and futures and remembering certain scenes from the whole series and I’m super affected by it all.

And I’ll be annoyed at no merch for a while. Lol. I would really love to support them. Doesn’t seem like the complete series is on blu-ray either, only DVD.

12. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Binged this in January and the finale wrecked me. Reading this thread made me go back to that train scene and now I’m sad again.

Saw tusk mentioned as a good music moment, I think the chain qualifies too. Really they just knocked it out of the park with the Fleetwood Mac stuff.

waking season and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I was fully expecting some Fleetwood or Peter Gabriel in the finale.

Only You was another favorite music moment for me. Relevant to the plot and both played straight and flipped on its head lyrically.

14. airik625

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Watched s6e6 last night - 'Rafifi' - and damn, shit is about to go down in these last few episodes.

17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The last run of episodes just does not stop. A flawless group.

Also I have both convinced my father to get into this AND restarted it myself this week. His texts are incredible with what he picks up on and doesn’t pick up on, and the pilot is beyond incredible on rewatch. So many plot points and character traits are already there from the start. And a ton of lines broke my heart or made me super happy that didn’t mean much the first time.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  18. SmithBerryCrunch Apr 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2019)
    SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Oh man. Just finished the second to last episode and I have to finish now even though it’s late. Things are very topsy turvy at the office!!!

19. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Wow. What a show. I’m going to have severe finishing-an-amazing-show-depression for awhile. Finale was great as expected. The Elizabeth dream sequence at the end felt really out of place and unnecessary though.

EASheartsVinyl and airik625 like this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It makes a lot more sense on rewatch! I liked it straight away, but after going back to the beginning I understand it a lot more.

21. airik625

I think I need a little bit more time before I go back and rewatch the series. So emotionally draining and suspenseful.

22. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

On season two of this now, wonderful show

23. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Martial Eagle, wow. What an episode

24. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

The scene with the teeth pulling extraction was so damn cringe but superbly done, I could feel that one

25. I think that scene is burned into my brain.

Rob Hughes likes this.