Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Allman Brothers Band Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Sep 26, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

[​IMG]

The Allman Brothers Band was an American rock band formed in Jacksonville, Florida, in 1969 by brothers Duane Allman (slide guitar and lead guitar) and Gregg Allman (vocals, keyboards, songwriting), as well as Dickey Betts (lead guitar, vocals, songwriting), Berry Oakley (bass guitar), Butch Trucks (drums), and Jai Johanny "Jaimoe" Johanson (drums). While the band has been called the principal architects of southern rock, they also incorporate elements of blues, jazz, and country music, and their live shows have jam band-style improvisation and instrumentals.

2. cshadows2887

The Allman Brothers Band
    One of the definitive Southern Rock bands and a forerunner of the "jam band" moniker, The Allman Brothers Band sustained a long, successful career as both hitmakers and lauded live performers. After the tragic loss of the gifted Duane Allman, the band regrouped with Dicky Betts at the fore and made music just as vital as their peak before Duane's death. Their chops were southern and blues based, but they were versed in country and jazz as well, making for an ever-shifting amalgam of sounds.

Recommended Listen:
    Brothers and Sisters

Crash Course:
    1. At Fillmore East
    2. Eat a Peach
    3. Brothers and Sisters

Compilation Replacement:
    The Road Goes on Forever

Signature Songs:
    1. "Whipping Post"
    2. "Midnight Rider"
    3. "Melissa"
    4. "Ramblin' Man"
    5. "Jessica"

Personal Note:
    I honestly picked them because I have this bizarre but strong affinity for Brothers and Sisters as a perfect fall album. The only other one outside the crash course that I've heard is Idlewild South and I could easily have included it. Excited to explore a bit more.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

my dad's favorite band!

so for me they're more a way of bonding with him

cshadows2887 likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Get some bonding in this week, dude!

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I like this band. Especially Dickie Betts songs. And Eat a Peach and the filmore tape

6. cshadows2887

Allman gets so fetishized that Betts has kind of ended up underrated.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Agreed. I inherited that opinion but I stand by it.

8. cshadows2887

First time with Win, Lose or Draw. You can definitely tell it was a result of tense and distant sessions. There's less experimentation and musical interplay (which will happen when you're overdubbing) and stylistically it's a bit of a jumble. But it actually offers something unique in their catalog, which is them playing the SHIT out of some quality southern rock songs, which they were always a bit too ambitious to do straight. Very few bands could play like them, though, and they kill it across the whole disc. There are some outstanding songs, too, with the title track being a particularly gorgeous highlight.

9. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Allmans slide playing is legendary. Jessica has always been a favorite of mine

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Just finished Brothers and Sisters and I liked it a lot. "Come and Go Blues", "Pony Boy", and "Jessica" are all standouts.

This is a band I knew I should listen to and just haven't (which is pretty much what I do)

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

Absolutely love Midnight Rider

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

Listened to Brothers and Sisters again and I still love that damn album. Definitely noticed how outstanding the bass playing is this time in a way I don't usually. Betts was at a peak. His leads are so melodic and memorable across the record.

Also had a first listen to the debut. Pretty much straight blues from them, well played and full of fire. The most notable songs were the 3 I already knew, though it dings the record a little that Molly Hatchet's version of "Dreams" so far outstrips theirs and "Whipping Post" is even better on At the Fillmore East. Still, not to many places to hear Duane's greatness before he passed

13. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

fillmore east maybe my favorite live album ever

14. cshadows2887

Listened to Dicky Betts' solo debut the other day and it's damn good.