Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Academy Is... Band • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AndrewSoup, Jan 3, 2017.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I went deeper into this last night and it's incredibly sad for all parties involved. His wife, or ex-wife, did post about it and I think her voice is important in the whole situation.

I don't know if they are together or not, but I hope that whatever path they chose that they did so together, and I hope that everyone is in a better place now.

mattylikesfilms and Brent like this.
  2. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know she posted that. Also wishing the best for everyone involved.

3. Daniel182

I learned yesterday that William is slowly becoming active again. Apparently he played some acoustic sets in Chicago and Milwaukee (primarily at Emo Nites) a few months ago.

He also did 3 songs on an Emo Nite twitch stream about a week ago. Skip to about 1 hour, 17 minutes in.

4. Daniel182

Here is a recent picture I found:

1E03EBE8-01E5-45FA-8C0F-7ECDAA0544A6.jpeg

5. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Wow there's no way that's William. He looks so different then how I remember him. Admittedly I've not kept up to date with his solo stuff since the demise of The Academy Is.

6. irthesteve

Looks like him to me

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

That is him but he obviously looks pretty different from the active TAI days. Makes sense though and I’m happy he’s becoming active again with music!

JamesMichael and Daniel182 like this.
  8. Daniel182

I believe this is the first studio recording released with William since 2015. Hopefully this is the start to a comeback.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  9. irthesteve

Wow this song is really terrible, haha. These lyrics are so on the nose it hurts. William sounds good I suppose, but this song is actually painful to listen to

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Nice to know William's working again but jesus that song is trash.

irthesteve likes this.
  11. irthesteve

I'm not sure if you could tell from the song, but his dad left his family and it was really hard on him. Not sure if you caught those references.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

I'm not sure those qualify as lyrics. I think he's just talking about it over music. It's like his therapist forgot to turn off his Spotify when the appointment started.

prattsy, irthesteve and Benjamin Lee like this.
  13. prattsy

Regular

Hahaha I didn't listen until the last 3-4 comments so just tossed it on. Did not disappoint haha

irthesteve likes this.
  14. stijn_p

Regular Supporter

This band has a perfect discography

mattylikesfilms and Daniel182 like this.
  15. Dog Fish

Mutt

Remember Remember Maine?

Daniel182 likes this.
  16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Is it weird that I listen to Fast Times the most? I listen to it quite regularly and It’s become my favorite in the discog.

iiiii623498, stijn_p and JRGComedy like this.
  17. cshadows2887

Slight out-of-tune-iness aside, I listen to the piano version of "Down and Out" off the From the Carpet EP probably more than any other song in their catalog.

Elder Lightning and irthesteve like this.
  18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Santi stan til I die.

Smittzerland, JRGComedy and Daniel182 like this.
  19. irthesteve

Almost >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

20. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I go back to Almost Here pretty frequently. Santi every one once in a while - it's got some of my favorite songs from them but not as consistent. Fast Times I enjoy the first handful of songs, and About A Girl is very good, but I can't even remember how half of them go

21. Yellowcard2006 Jun 24, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2021)
    Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Almost Here is the easy favorite but Santi such a unique album looking back. I love how much this band evolved every time we got new music.

22. irthesteve

Almost Here is bar none one of the most impressive albums to come from the scene in terms of song structures, no one else was or ever did write songs like the ones on that album

23. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I couldn’t agree more with your post Steve!

I remember being so disappointed when Santi was released because it was such a contrast from Almost Here haha.

irthesteve likes this.
  24. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I love Almost Here, but Santi is the best. So ahead of its time. Everything else I could do without.

JRGComedy and mattylikesfilms like this.
  25. prattsy

Regular

I actually adored Fast Times when it came out. Was just entering summer at the peak of my University "career". It was carefree, hooks for days, and kind of paralleled my own experiences I was going through (despite being a year or two into my post-high school time). For purely nostalgic purposes, that's my favourite but I completely would concede it's likely their most formulaic and least creative.

I just decided to toss on Almost Here on Spotify and wow - they were only actively releasing music for 3-4 years. Didn't realize their time was that short lived. Was a big fan

JRGComedy likes this.