Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Academy Is Press ‘Santi’ on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Yes! This is a must-own for me. Such a great (and still underrated) record.

I'll probably grab the splatter variant.

3. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Sweet, now let's get a tour going!

4. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Gosh.. I forgot how much I used to love that album! The production, guitar/bass tones and vocals were freakin' brilliant! "Unexpected Places", "Seed", "Sleeping with Giants" still sound so fresh.. shame the follow up was back to basic pop-punk sound :/

5. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I mean, this is what I was expecting from their FB updates, but I still keep reallllly hoping for a tour :tear:

6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Such a fantastic underrated record. Their best by a landslide if you ask me.

Too bad the fans wanted Almost Here pt. II

Definitely buying this!

KidLightning and knstadin like this.
  7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Where are you seeing the variants? I can't find them :tear:

8. Elder Lightning Aug 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 2, 2017)
    Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Edit: Oops, forgot to reply to this. Yeah, Fast Times . . . was a huge letdown for me. I think I listened to it a couple times and just gave up.

The picture in the original post. There is a clear/magenta split, and a clear with red and neon red splatter.

mattylikesfilms and knstadin like this.
  9. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

When it came out I did honestly. Santi grew on me year after year though so much!

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  10. Threads

Regular Prestigious

Will try to grab both of the variants but I'm going to prioritize the splatter. I'm not much for variant collecting but TAI was like the start of everything musically for me and and I already have Fast Times and all Almost Here colors, so why not?

The messy part of me is still holding out for a random one-off show in Chicago. I will get myself there, if so.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Very nice! I'll get the magenta split :-)

I definitely need to pick up Almost Here.

KidLightning likes this.
  12. StoJa9

Regular

I need to ask very ignorant question....I'm 39 and have never owned anything vinyl. Ever. What does it sound like compared to a CD, or rather, the medium I assume we all use the most, digital.

It's something I've always wanted to get into but I know it can be expensive. Does it sound better or just different?

13. Threads

Regular Prestigious

I'd say in like an ideal/perfect situation (a decent turntable, speakers, and good record pressing), vinyl genuinely sounds better than digital or CD. The issue usually comes from either less than stellar components or bad pressings (certain labels are worse with this than others) as far as the vinyl goes.

Like I'd say 90% of my library sounds better on vinyl than it does on anything else I have access to. There's just the occasional outlier where things aren't so great. For an example similar to TAI, both From Under the Cork Tree and Infinity on High from Fall Out Boy were less than good in their most recent pressings. FUCT especially has too many tracks for the two records and the sound quality gets worse in the tail ends of each side.

StoJa9 and mattylikesfilms like this.
  14. mwahoo

Am I making this up or wasn't there a story at the time this came out that Will had written an entire album's worth of material in some notebook that he somehow lost? And ended up re-writing everything and this was the result?

mattylikesfilms and skogsraet like this.
  15. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

You're not making it up, I remember that story too. Idk how true it is but presumably it's what LAX to O'Hare is about bc he lost his notebook on that flight

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yup. I remember this. I would say it worked out in the end though ;-)

skogsraet likes this.
  17. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Finally! Definitely ordering this. Favorite TAI record for sure.

18. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

surprised FBR isn't pressing this!

19. Threads

Regular Prestigious

I know traffic can't be helped but this was by far the worst vinyl buying experience I've had within the past 2 years or so. :upside::upside::upside:

Order went through not twice, but three times. Emailed right away, so hopefully this can get fixed before my account takes a beating.

20. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I was afraid that would happen to me too with all the times I tried to submit my order, but I only see one charge/email currently. Fingers crossed.

Threads likes this.
  21. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Surprised everyone had issues ordering. I had zero ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I was hesitant to order this after reading/hearing about the horrors of this label.. hopefully there's no issues with my order. Picking up the magenta/clear split :-)