Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 91st Academy Awards (February 24, 2019) TV Show • Page 63

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

relevant. mostly because that award is his and his alone while the other nominations were for the film as a whole.

oakhurst likes this.
  3. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Oh my god

incognitojones, Zilla, ECV and 2 others like this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

that cannot be real.

didn't Hayden Christenwhatever just make this movie?

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

shady queen

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Sounds like something 30 Rock would make up

[​IMG]

7. flask

Trusted Supporter

Yeah its called Little Italy and How Did This Get Made just did an episode on it lmao.

chewbacca110 and CarpetElf like this.
  8. Jake Gyllenhaal

How have I not heard of this movie?!

[​IMG]

CarpetElf likes this.
  9. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

I mean, his performance wasn’t undirected, and he’s handled questions about Singer poorly. Don’t see why we can’t hold more than one person accountable.

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

My favorite part, other than neither of them being remotely Italian, is that they fucked up the poster so much that Anikan looks like Asa Butterfield photoshopped to appear older.

11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Reading every live poster's reaction to Best Pic today is hysterical. I haven't seen GB but I have had zero desire to do so after seeing the trailer. White savior-type movies are pastiche and not relevant to today's audience. Read the room, people.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  12. Jake Gyllenhaal

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This is how I feel. He’s far down the list of people who are truly to blame for Singer’s position in the film, but he is the literal face of the movie and has done nothing but sidestep the issue ever since the first bit of blowback.

Compare what he has said to someone like Timothée Chalamet, who took the criticism about working with Woody Allen to heart, made it clear that he could not fully speak freely about the film, and then donated his salary to charity in solidarity. Obviously there is not one set way to go about these things, but what Rami has done has been disappointing at every turn.

14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

They already have the envelope printed for TS4 as best animated feature.

Garrett L. and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  15. fyebes Feb 25, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 25, 2019)
    fyebes

Regular Prestigious

I feel like Rami is getting unfairly blasted to a pretty unreasonable extent. the director of the film that won best picture sexually harassed multiple people and for whatever reason, it's barely being mentioned in the circles of the internet that I frequent.

I like to think that Malek wants to say more, but he hasn't been able to for whatever reason. I agree that he's sidestepping and I'm 100% disappointed in all of the sidestepping, but I'm not sure that he should be getting all of this backlash when it feels like no one else is getting any backlash.

edit: basically, I'm frustrated that Malek hasn't done more to distance himself from Singer and he hasn't been more outspoken about the whole situation, but I'm also frustrated that he is getting most of the backlash.

16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Everyone who is willing to work for/with a pedophile is worthy of being blasted.

I don't get how that's hard to understand or disagree with.

CarpetElf and ECV like this.
  17. Singer’s accusations have been known for several years now. Acting like Rami had no choice here is silly.

18. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Again it’s incredibly easy to be different levels of mad at multiple people at the same time, I promise, I do it all the time

19. Also, speaking for myself here: I’m more frustrated at the Academy for even nominating this movie, which was awful for so many reasons. Singer’s involvement is bad enough, but rewarding a movie that went out of its way in production to make Freddie’s very queer story more palatable to straight people is also bad! Rewarding Rami’s performance is implicitly rewarding the film, which was at its very best, a shitty version of what it was trying to do.

20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The living members of Queen, their manager, the producers, and the studio should all be held accountable for what they did, absolutely. They have the privilege on top of all their other power of not being front and center in the promos for the film, which makes it harder to frame the public discussions around them. A massive boycott of the team would be incredible, but even in my wildest dreams I can’t expect that to happen. I would really, really love to have a publication truly take them to task and put the focus where it belongs moving forward.

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Not that this is even the most important part of the whole thing, but I don't get why they even had to go with Singer in the first place. It's not like he's some genius auteur director who is an asshole but a visionary or something. He has some good movies in his past, but nothing mindblowing and I don't understand why studios even put up with his garbage when there's someone who's as good or better out there that isn't a pedophile rapist.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's for sure worse that the studio chose Bryan Singer to make the movie, why him there are other gay directors who have made musicals who aren't gross

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

when it really comes down to it, I think my frustration is that Malek is/was one of my favorite actors (entirely due to Mr. Robot) and I'm upset that he put himself in this situation and doesn't seem like he even wants to address it and when he's forced to address it, he does a terrible job. and I'm struggling to come to those terms.

ECV likes this.
  24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Singer kept getting work because he made the studios money!

CarpetElf likes this.
  25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, but any jobber like Ron Howard or someone similar could do as good or better than Singer, so why put up with his evil shit when there are plenty of people who could do it?

CarpetElf likes this.