Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 91st Academy Awards (February 24, 2019) TV Show • Page 61

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 4, 2019.

1. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

So bummed that Cooper left empty handed

3. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I just really have to chime in that Farrelly saying Shinola, a company that makes $400 leather watches and let’s you drink coffee samples in the store, is “saving Detroit” is another insane and egregious thing about his acceptance speech. I am disgusted as a film lover and as a Michigander pls keep us out of your mouth.

4. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

The voters are like 90% white and 85% old, they don't have stats on how out of touch they are but its got be a huge number

Its a systematic issue and that's why the Oscar's will always be bad and only rarely get something right.

Lucas27 likes this.
  5. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The Oscars are shit. How long ago was it that it got out that some voters weren’t even watching the movies and just voting anyways?

incognitojones likes this.
  6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I truly don’t know how he is allowed to say these incredible lies and just get away with it. Shirley’s family should sue him to the ends of the earth for all of this. I’m still honestly baffled that they were able to make the movie with the only approval being this scumbag going, “Oh yeah, I totally talked to him. He’s super cool with it. Yeah. Pay no attention to literally everything we know about him wanting privacy.”

Also that interview with Rami sucks just like all the ones where he tried to ignore who Singer is. I’m super over that dude.

Anthony_ likes this.
  7. This has gotta be true still

8. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm sure it is. I'm also sure there's some payola from production companies.

9. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Jason Tate and Zilla like this.
  10. BackyardHero11

Trusted

here to say I'm pumped about Spider-Verse. Stoked for First Man's visual effects win, happy to see something with a fantastic mix of practical and CGI win. Olivia Coleman is an absolute delight, I actually didn't mind no host, the first hour was pretty on point with flow. i'll revisit the thread I'm sure to discuss any disappointments, but those are my tired next day positive reactions haha. movies are cool!

ship90 likes this.
  11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Spike having flashbacks to Reggie Miller sinking a three pointer at the last second

12. radiodead

Trusted

Have yet to seen Green Book. But the commentary around the film gives me a pretty good idea of where it all went wrong. I also had the same bad taste in my mouth last night when a bunch of white dudes were accepting the award for a movie based on around racism in the south. Yikes.

Roma is a beautiful film that we will be talking about for a long time, travesty it didn’t win. Just like it will be ridiculous in 20 years that Yorgos Lanthimos hasn’t gotten an Oscar yet. The Academy is so garbage sometimes.

13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It's been said a million times but it's 100% telling that Ali is the only person who thanked Don Shirley at any point on stage. And Peter Farrelly is such scum that he both did not thank Don Shirley and said that the whole movie "starts with Viggo", whatever that means.

Like it would at least be easier to stomach if these people were just naïve rubes who had the very best of intentions and legitimately didn't know what they were doing was problematic at the time and were gracious and contrite at all the attention their movie is getting despite its problems and the criticism it has faced. But it seems like every person who has received an award for Green Book, aside from Ali, is just a raging asshole. So that makes it even worse.

14. Anthony_

Regarding Ali, though, just like Rami Malek he could at any point have withdrawn himself from awards consideration as well but did not. And Ali had even more reason to do so because he already has an Oscar.

15. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

release the ballots you cowards

16. Anthony_

The thing is, the way the Academy's voting system works, Green Book very likely was not the majority of the members' #1 pick. It probably received a ton of #2 and #3 votes, and then nothing else was able to cross the necessary threshold to win before it did. The system tends to reward the thing that everyone "liked well enough" rather than what the most people really loved/felt was the best. I actually think a lot of the Acadmey's problems would be solved by a revision of the way its voting system works, combined with its ever-increasing membership diversity.

CarpetElf likes this.
  17. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

oh I understand how preferential balloting works, I still want to see the breakdown lol

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

ECV, jkauf and Aregala like this.
  19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

rad

20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Zilla likes this.
  21. Anthony_

Ah, gotcha. I would actually kind of like to see them as well, I suppose, just because I have a hunch that the better films (especially The Favourite and Roma) had to have gotten more first place votes than Green Book but fell short once the voting moved on to second and third choices.

Aregala likes this.
  22. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I also feel like if we see that one or two films only received like a couple dozen first place votes, it would favor a push away from the "up to 10" best picture slots.

I don't know really which way I stand on that debate, but it would be fascinating to see the breakdown.

23. Anthony_ Feb 25, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 25, 2019)
    Anthony_

I actually really like the "between 5 and 10 nominees depending on the votes" system the way it is now, personally. But yeah it would be cool to see the breakdown of the vote totals and how it affects that conversation.

I also don't now see and never have seen any reason to hide anonymous vote totals from the public other than that they don't want to get flamed for it. But if that's what they're worried about then they could easily avoid it by just not giving awards to movies like Green Book.

Aregala likes this.
  24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

why should Malek have withdrawn?

25. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

In protest for the Academy honoring a movie directed by a monster