Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 91st Academy Awards (February 24, 2019) TV Show • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 4, 2019.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Definitely see Shoplifters.

2. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Oh god Green Book might actually win Best Picture

3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I'd like to think the same backlash that hit "La La Land" will do the same for "Green Book." Like, I'm sure it will be nominated, but I don't think it will win.

It's also sad to me how "The Favourite" went from being rumored a likely to win when buzz was growing and now seems to have faded from the conversation.

4. Morrissey

Trusted

Green Book would be a great way to represent what the Oscars actually stands for. It is always unfortunate to see good films have to go through the insane awards sniping and hit pieces; Boyhood would probably be more fondly remembered otherwise.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Green Book will not win Best Picture.

6. Anthony_

Of the likely Best Picture nominees, BlacKkKlansman deserves the win most, I think. Truly great film, easily in my top three of the year, plus its timeliness and relevance to current events gives it an edge over the other contenders. Doesn't have a chance though, sadly.

7. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I saw Spike Lee speak to a group of college students in 2006 and he was still bitching Do The Right Thing wasn't nominated for Best Picture and how Driving Miss Daisy has basically been forgotten.

8. Anthony_

Is it "bitching" if it's true?

9. Jake Gyllenhaal

Oh I agree, it's still a terrific movie

10. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Looking forward to what’s nominated tomorrow morning

11. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I’m hoping the academy’s efforts to diversify their membership will keep Green Book from winning but it’s getting way too much momentum from all these other wins to be confident that it’s not going to win BP.

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

Said it before but pretty mediocre year. Before the noms are out, I think of all the possible BP nominees, Beale Street and Black Panther are the ones I haven’t seen.

13. Anthony_ Jan 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2019)
    Anthony_

The biggest branch of the Academy are the actors. The Academy’s actor branch heavily overlaps with SAG (obviously). Green Book failed to get a Best Cast nod at the SAG awards. That means it likely doesn’t have the support of the biggest portion of Academy voters. Granted, that isn’t a guarantee (Shape of Water won last year without a SAG Best Cast nomination but it had way more universal acclaim/support and was made by a beloved director who was “due”), but having the support of the actors has made the difference many, many times in the past. The best recent example I can think of is when Spotlight won in a year most people considered a toss-up. Because it was an “actor’s movie” with a cast made up entirely of A-list heavy-hitters. Failing to gain the support of the actors, plus the controversies, plus the Academy’s push for younger and more diverse membership all leads me to believe that it won’t walk away with avast Picture. I’m pretty confident it will win only Best Supporting Actor for Ali and nothing else.

14. Jake Gyllenhaal

It’s tough to tell year to year... I was legit surprised Moonlight won (aside from the envelope mixup). It was a tiny movie with a relatively no-name cast.

15. Anthony_

But Moonlight had a SAG Best Cast nomination. You know which film didn’t have one that year? La La Land.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  16. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Best Picture:

Black Panther
    BlackkKlansman
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Roma
    A Star Is Born
    Vice

All the other nominees will be up shortly.

17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Way too much Green Book, Bohemian and Vice.

18. Anthony_

No Best Director nomination for Farrelly.

Can everyone take a breather now?

19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Coops got Argo-ed

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

yung_ting likes this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Oh my god if Glenn Close wins this year Amy Adams usurps her title, this is Amy's 6th nomination

22. Anthony_

Best Picture will be either The Favourite, BlacKkKlansman, Roma, or A Star Is Born

23. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

No editing nom for Roma nicks it a bit

Zilla likes this.
  24. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Adam Driver hell yeah

25. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I don't think A Star Is Born was phenomenally great. It was a good movie, but I wouldn't put it in top 5. Best picture really is a toss-up this year though.